Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Tyres

1. Tyres 
    andyam Guest
    Hi guys.

So I'm getting 4 new tyres. Just looking for some advice.

A. what tyres are people recommending at the moment

B. My tyres currently are 225/50/17 98w. However audi have told me I should be getting 98Y. Now is there a major difference? is 225/50/17 my only option? I have an 08 2.0tdi se with 17 inch 7 spoke wheels.

Thanks in advance!

0 0 0

2. Re: Tyres 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    As far as recommendations go I would suggest using this web site as a bench mark for pricing Tyre Leader : cheap tyre online, buy car tyres, discount tyres

As for Brand that's really down to budget and personal preference, I am currently using Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2's and I'm really happy with them, they are quiet, handle well in the wet and should have a good wear rate. Equally I've had Bridgestone Potenza RE050 and Continental Sport Contact 3 tyres in the past which have also been good. Avon (ZZ5, ZV5) is considered a good mid range brand and their pricing is very competitive, the only downside is the wear rate can be quite high as they are quite a soft compound.

This is always a useful web site to get tyre reviews from: Tyre reviews, tests and ratings - TyreReviews

Finally, I would always stick with the manufacturers size and speed rating personally.
    2016 A4 (B9) Avant S-Line 3.0TDI Quattro Tiptronic 272ps

0 0 0

3. Re: Tyres 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    W means that they're rated for 168mph, Y for 186mph so no, there is no difference. I recently splashed out on a full set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports and they are fantastic in the dry and the wet - noticeably better than the Michelin Pilot Sport 3 that I had before. Mind you, the PS3s were way better than the RE050As that it came with. I found that those didn't grip well, were squirmy in the wet and also didn't wear well. Perhaps if you could tell us a little more about your requirements / budget you might get some more specific suggestions.
    Audi A4 (B9) Avant 3.0 TDI (272) Quattro with lots of toys

0 0 0

4. Re: Tyres 
    andyam Guest
    Anyone used conti contact 3?

0 0 0

5. Re: Tyres 
    andyam Guest
    Thanks for the info guys. I just read your post about conti. What did you think of y hem? Did they last?

0 0 0

6. Re: Tyres 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had Conti 3's on my B7 and found they tram-lined horribly.
    My B8 had Avons on when I bought it and they suffered from saw-too thing on the rear (avant if it makes a difference?) Had to replace them way before they were half worn, the noise was unbearable.
    Personally, I really rate Michelin Pilot Sport 3's, good grip and very good wear rate. I wouldn't fit anything else.
    When it's gone it's gone

0 0 0

7. Re: Tyres 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    A mid-range tyre that may fit are the Barum Bravuris, and they seem to be a reasonable compromise.
    2018 (2017MY) S3 2.0TFSI Sportback Quattro S-Tronic in Nano Grey Metallic.

Black Edition, Reversing camera, Parking System Plus, Hill Hold, Super Sports seats, heated, Dipping exterior mirrors, B&O, Advanced Key, Magnetic Ride, Red Calipers, 19x8J 5-V-Spoke wheels in matte titanium.

0 0 0

8. Re: Tyres 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I've just had the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2's fitted on Thursday going on AGW82's recommendation and the reviews on the net, and I am very happy with them; so far, they really inspire confidence and seem immune to tramlining even on a road locally that the car would tramline really badly on the old tyres.

I'd certainly recommend them, and would also give a recommendation to BlackCircles too.

Lang may yer lum reek!

Current: '09 Audi A4 Avant SE TDI (143)
    Previous: '56 VW Passat 2.0TDI SE - I survived 'BKP' ownership!

0 0 0