Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Why is it that A3 1.6 Sport drinks so much petrol?

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
  1. Re: Why is it that A3 1.6 Sport drinks so much petrol??? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ldyeruea View Post
    Just picked my car up, so it was the Lamda Probe that was malfunctioning accrding to the report, after they carried out the diagnostic. so now its repaired i can monitor the tank and figure out my mpg
    Wow! I've been on holiday for 2 weeks, and driven 2,200 miles in the process, and this thread still hasn't produced an actual mpg figure

Do me a favour: Brim the tank again as soon as possible after the lambda sensor was replaced, and tell me the following 2 numbers:

- How many miles you did between brimming the first time and the second time.
    - How many litres of fuel you put in.

I'll then calculate and tell you what mpg you were getting before the lambda sensor was replaced.

Then you can drive around for another 400 miles before brimming the tank again, and we can then work out what mpg you're getting with a good lambda sensor.

I'll even provide you with worked examples and if you want, a spreadsheet so you can work it out again in future.

(Having just read that back, it could be read as sarcastic and harsh - this is not my intention - I'm genuinely interested in your mpg and want to help)
    Duct tape is like The Force. It has a Light Side and a Dark Side and it holds the universe together.
    2002 Passat 1.9tdi
    2004 A3 2.0 FSI
    Gone: 1997 Golf GTI ; 1989 Coupe; 2000 A6 Avant 2.4; 2000 A3 1.8

0 2 0

2. Re: Why is it that A3 1.6 Sport drinks so much petrol??? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    36 mpg.
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

0 0 0

3. Re: Why is it that A3 1.6 Sport drinks so much petrol??? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NickPicks View Post
    Wow! I've been on holiday for 2 weeks, and driven 2,200 miles in the process, and this thread still hasn't produced an actual mpg figure

Do me a favour: Brim the tank again as soon as possible after the lambda sensor was replaced, and tell me the following 2 numbers:

- How many miles you did between brimming the first time and the second time.
    - How many litres of fuel you put in.

I'll then calculate and tell you what mpg you were getting before the lambda sensor was replaced.

Then you can drive around for another 400 miles before brimming the tank again, and we can then work out what mpg you're getting with a good lambda sensor.

I'll even provide you with worked examples and if you want, a spreadsheet so you can work it out again in future.

(Having just read that back, it could be read as sarcastic and harsh - this is not my intention - I'm genuinely interested in your mpg and want to help)

LOOOL 2,200 miles where you been gone NickPicks?????

I did brim it after the first time, I got 351miles out of it before I had to top up, I put in 51 litres then, second time brimmed it about 52litres (rough figures as i left my notepad in the car). After I replaced the sensor, (so far) have done 256 miles and counting. But I kind of calculated the first one and it seems its 30mpg, which is not great....i wanted 35 ....hmmmm

LOOOL I don't read it sarcastic no worries lool!

0 0 0

4. Re: Why is it that A3 1.6 Sport drinks so much petrol??? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    OH and btw, the first time I drove 351miles was with the malfuncationing lambda probe, and second time (which is currently now!) im doing 256miles and counting on a replaced probe. just thought i'd give a lovely heads up lol!

0 0 0

5. Re: Why is it that A3 1.6 Sport drinks so much petrol??? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    2,200 miles was to Venice and back, with a day trip to Trieste (almost in Slovenia).

351 miles on 52 litres works out at 30.7 mpg. comparing this to KarKrazy's chart in post 55, you should be expecting more than this unless it's mostly urban stop-start driving.
    Duct tape is like The Force. It has a Light Side and a Dark Side and it holds the universe together.
    2002 Passat 1.9tdi
    2004 A3 2.0 FSI

0 0 0

6. Re: Why is it that A3 1.6 Sport drinks so much petrol??? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    2,200 miles was to Venice and back, with a day trip to Trieste (almost in Slovenia).

351 miles on 52 litres works out at 30.7 mpg. comparing this to KarKrazy's chart in post 55, you should be expecting more than this unless it's mostly urban stop-start driving.
    eeek, venice sounds good might ave to try that at one point lol

yeah i was expecting mroe than 30mpg, but the mileage was mostly urban...thats the thing with all this stop-starting in town.

0 0 0

7. Re: Why is it that A3 1.6 Sport drinks so much petrol??? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    2,200 miles was to Venice and back, with a day trip to Trieste (almost in Slovenia).351 miles on 52 litres works out at 30.7 mpg. comparing this to KarKrazy's chart in post 55, you should be expecting more than this unless it's mostly urban stop-start driving.
    OK!!!! So just finished my tank, driving to its bare elemnts are empty. And so i managed to get 371.2miles out of the second fill!!! 20 more than the first fill which, just to remind, was before i changed the sensor probe!

0 0 0

8. Re: Why is it that A3 1.6 Sport drinks so much petrol??? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    OK!!!! So just finished my tank, driving to its bare elemnts are empty. And so i managed to get 371.2miles out of the second fill!!! 20 more than the first fill which, just to remind, was before i changed the sensor probe!
    If that was on 52 litres, then I make it 32.5mpg.
    2002 Passat 1.9tdi
    2004 A3 2.0 FSI

0 0 0

9. Re: Why is it that A3 1.6 Sport drinks so much petrol??? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If that was on 52 litres, then I make it 32.5mpg.
    Yep, it's 52 litres! thanks for that.

Also I've just began to put Shell V-Power Nitro+ unleaded fuel in the tank now! Accroding to what im hearing that really improves on the engine behavoiour and fuel economoy in the long run. a bit pricey per litre but I've heard fromm all types of cars that its doing good! anyone had any experience with it??

0 0 0

10. Re: Why is it that A3 1.6 Sport drinks so much petrol??? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Yep, it's 52 litres! thanks for that.

Also I've just began to put Shell V-Power Nitro+ unleaded fuel in the tank now! Accroding to what im hearing that really improves on the engine behavoiour and fuel economoy in the long run. a bit pricey per litre but I've heard fromm all types of cars that its doing good! anyone had any experience with it??
    On performance engines that can take advantage of it, yes.

On non performance engines, no.

If it were me, I'd focus on more eco-friendly driving to reduce the cost of the driving it, rather than putting more expensive fuel in and expecting that to do the job.

0 0 0

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast