1. Re: So cars get better MPG with age - not according to my data 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    109 Post(s)
    Cars are'nt like wine you know, bit like my wife's derrier, they don't get better with age. Mine is more or less as economical now as when I got it. The car's the same.
    Quote "My tuner told me after he fitted the box that 0-60 should be around 2.6 seconds! "

0 1 0

2. Re: So cars get better MPG with age - not according to my data 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Can't argue with your figures obviously, but for most drivers I think the figures would tend to remain about the same, except for exceptional journeys like one or two of yours i.e. greater or lower than the norm, even if they don't improve much with the engine loosening up. Wouldn't expect them to get worse unless there was a problem with the car.
    2014 Samoa Orange TT Roadster 2.0 TFSI Black Edition & 2015 Petrol Blue Skoda Yeti 2.0 TDI ~ Now Gone - 2013 Daytona Grey A6 Avant 2.0 TDI Multitronic Black Edition

0 1 0

3. Re: So cars get better MPG with age - not according to my data 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)
    My (OLD) A4 1.9 TDi Avant (P plate) improved for the first 10k miles and then just delivered 45 mpg pretty much consistently... it was doing that when I sold it with 168k on the clock (and that was calculated from fill to fill every few tanks). It did have an unusual life in that during the first 95k it spent a LOT of time on the motorway at err 'normal' speeds on cruise - certainly well over half of that 95k. I was also manic (as I still am) about not ragging it from cold - that will certainly wear them out faster.

C6 3.0 TDI quattro SE avant .. again it improved in the first 10k and then hovered around 32 mpg with mixed driving, best 'long term' average I saw was 32.4 based on the computer, worst was 31.4. Maybe it was slightly worse at 83k when I traded it but I think my driving had become a little more spirited. It also did a much higher proportion of short trips compared to the A4 - and I equate that with more wear and probably more variability in fuel consumption.

Allroad definitely improved comparing new MPG to what I see now - and taking into account seasonal differences (always worse in cold weather). It's now done 13.5k so once again loosened up in first 10k.

I'd not expect to see any significant improvement once the initial loosening up is done - and maybe a gradual decline once the engine gets over 75k - 100k depending on the kind of trips you do.
    A6 allroad BiTdi (MY14, July 2013 - DAB & power tailgate). Glacier white, tech pack (HDD Nav, colour DIS, Parking Plus), sports seats, 4 zone climate, heated seats front and rear, ambient lighting, 75L fuel tank, adaptive Bi Xenon headlights

0 0 0

4. Re: So cars get better MPG with age - not according to my data 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I really think the long service intervals aren't helping. Air filter still not changed until 3rd service (any time soon).

"
    A6 C7 S-Line TDi 177 Manual, AMI, BOSE, Colour DIS, 19's

0 0 0

5. Re: So cars get better MPG with age - not according to my data 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)
    A4 was on 10K changes, A6 was 'extended' which I think worked out around 18K - I just used to do what the onboard computer told me to.

Oh and on the air filter topic.. I am sure that you are right. Top speed of my C6 was substantially down 500 miles prior to a service.
    A6 allroad BiTdi (MY14, July 2013 - DAB & power tailgate). Glacier white, tech pack (HDD Nav, colour DIS, Parking Plus), sports seats, 4 zone climate, heated seats front and rear, ambient lighting, 75L fuel tank, adaptive Bi Xenon headlights

0 0 0

6. Re: So cars get better MPG with age - not according to my data 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ukgroucho View Post
    Oh and on the air filter topic.. I am sure that you are right. Top speed of my C6 was substantially down 500 miles prior to a service.
    You do know it's only changed at the 3rd service? not every service.
    A6 C7 S-Line TDi 177 Manual, AMI, BOSE, Colour DIS, 19's

0 0 0

7. Re: So cars get better MPG with age - not according to my data 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    Mine opened up after 45,000 miles and get 65 mpg at 60mph , and 46 mpg in town once warmed up. Its a 2.0 tdi 140hp

I change my diesel and air every 20,000 , oil every 10,000 by myself.

Colder air will decrease your mpg, but I fail to see that with your chart. However at 90 mph, we know your exhaust should be decoked !

0 0 0

8. Re: So cars get better MPG with age - not according to my data 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Do you run this monster on long life service schedules? 10k changes make me shudder. All those metal flakes :s

But with me being a tinkerer by nature as soon as my MPG drops enough, i've got the tools out to check what it is. You are right the engine will loosen up, but you are talking slightly below expected to around about the book mpg figures (give or take). I wouldnt expect a 30mpg motor to be doing 80mpg after 3 years without a very gentle right foot.
    151 PS @ 3800 rpm 1.6 8V MPi - 31.5mpg urban <-- Happy days

123k On the clock and counting. (25k on the block)

I need all your V-Powers.

0 0 0

9. Re: So cars get better MPG with age - not according to my data 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Can I ask if car yours or company/PCP?
    XK8 96 Dyno'd at 305 and LPG converted, a mere 65ppl
    A6 07 3.0 quattro tip SE Limo, black,black leather/tints /black alloys/towbar/Alientech Eco Remap/quads/Rear DVD screens/Pogo Alert+

0 0 0

10. Re: So cars get better MPG with age..............not according to my data 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ti rich View Post
    Well drove a 5 Series, thought I would love it but didn't.
    Drove a *** XF 3.0D R-Sport - loved it but the purchase and running costs too high.
    Tried a *** XF 2.2D R-Sport - quite impressive but the XF really needs the 3.0D engine to feel right.
    Tried a BMW 335D XDrive - fast as hell but handled like a boat. Your could feel the extra weight of the engine and 4 wheel drive system.
    So it's back to a 3 Series 330D M-Sport which is what i had before the A6. Smaller, faster, more economical and engaging to drive. I will miss the A6's space and comfort however.
    When I set out to buy my brand new car, I did the rounds to figure out which kind of car I would like to own:

BMW 5 530D - far too boaty and luggish for my tastes.
    BMW 4 428i - far too small for my tastes! (I felt like my elbows were constantly being restricted - I'm 6.1ft, slim build.)
    Jaguar XF 3.0 - very nice car, but got won over by the audi.
    Mercedes E Class - again very nice car, bit sluggish compared to the jaguar/audi and I wasn't keen on the 'standard' gearbox, you could feel a loss in power on every shift.. I was used to a Manual at the time.
    Audi A5 3.0TDi - gorgeous car, drove well, little bit on the smallish size, but not uncomfortable like the BMW 4.
    Audi A6 3.0TDi S-Line Quattro - another gorgeous car, drives very well, felt sporty and hugged the road like a champ, I fell in love with it!

and that was it! I fobbed off all other dealers and drove the Audi garage sales rep down to the ground to get the price on my 'perfect' audi A6 down as low as possible

Audi A6 Black Edition 3.0TDi (272) Quattro S-Tronic (Saloon), Garnet Red, Rear Sports Diff, Matrix LEDs, 20" 5 spoke titanium alloys, and a ton of options.

Sorry - on the subject of MPG, mine gets around 28-30mpg on a short run to the office, and I've had it over 40mpg down the M4 on a run to wales. - currently under 5,000 miles on the clock though, so I may still have room for 'loosening up'?

1 1 0

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast