1. Re: Windows 7 BSOD - Unmountable Boot Volume 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Sorry to here about your busted drive. First off western digital have a great warrenty service, just go online and enter serial and it will tell you straight away if its in warranty. They will even send you a replacement before u send them the dud. I have used this service a few times and was very impressed no need for receipt or proof of purchase. Might be worth a try. On another note I have been using avast for 10 years or so and have never had problems with it. Currently on 5 pcs at home with no issues. A few years back I had raptor installed which is a chat program combining all the common ones such as msn icq etc etc. This was blue screening my pc all the time. Uninstalled and never blue screened again. So i guess software conflict somewhere. Maybe with avast.... Anyway good luck get the data off and re install.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

0 0 0

2. Re: Windows 7 BSOD - Unmountable Boot Volume 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by utensil999 View Post
    Sorry to here about your busted drive. First off western digital have a great warrenty service, just go online and enter serial and it will tell you straight away if its in warranty. They will even send you a replacement before u send them the dud. I have used this service a few times and was very impressed no need for receipt or proof of purchase. Might be worth a try.
    There is no warranty with WD, the HDD is effectively an OEM drive as it was part of a Dell laptop. The warranty is with Dell and has, as per Chris's posts above, expired.

Considering selling my VCDS KEY-USB interface. If you're interested please contact me via PM or email.

0 0 0

3. Re: Windows 7 BSOD - Unmountable Boot Volume 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sounds like the drive is dying, chkdsk my falsely report bad sectors if the motor is failing. The drive motors and or reading heads can fail early from time to time and cause a de-sync/corruption of info hence the bluescreens.

It will run ok in a caddy. Alternatively if your motherboard can disable the SMART error report feature then this may be you some more hours of non-caddy use. Also from experience, if you keep trying to boot a dying drive, it may corrupt the boot sector and then eventually stop responding completely. I've had it happen to about 3 HDD's over the years. My best advice would be to get a new drive, caddy this one and back up what you can before the drive goes poof.

You can send it off for 'repair/recovery' but do you have anything worth saving on it that will cost that amount is the question. In the mean time you will still need a new drive anyway.
    151 PS @ 3800 rpm 1.6 8V MPi - 31.5mpg urban <-- Happy days

123k On the clock and counting. (25k on the block)

I need all your V-Powers.

0 1 0

4. Re: Windows 7 BSOD - Unmountable Boot Volume 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    Right ok, been out all day and left the laptop to run. Something must've happened/restarted as it's back hanging at the recovery screen.

Not sure if the chkdsk ran or not. Everything valuable is backed up in 2 places, emails are fine and got my Firefox bookmarks back so that's all I'm really worried about.

0 0 0

5. Re: Windows 7 BSOD - Unmountable Boot Volume 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Find() and download a copy of Hiren's Boot CD , burn it to a CD and boot from it, up to you which machine you use but I'd go with the Dell laptop just in case you select the wrong drive in the next few stages

Again, don't do anything unless you're 100% sure - you could potentially kill the drive completely.

Find the HDD Diagnostics menu and do the following;

DLGDIAG will verify the HDD's status and WDDLGT will hopefully scan and fix any errors - if it can't it'll let you know why.

If they don't work, you can move on to the harder stuff.

MHDD and DRevitalize will both attempt to locate and fix any mechanical defects.

Considering selling my VCDS KEY-USB interface. If you're interested please contact me via PM or email.

0 0 0

6. Re: Windows 7 BSOD - Unmountable Boot Volume 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mycarsavw View Post
    Find() and download a copy of Hiren's Boot CD , burn it to a CD and boot from it, up to you which machine you use but I'd go with the Dell laptop just in case you select the wrong drive in the next few stages

Again, don't do anything unless you're 100% sure - you could potentially kill the drive completely.

Find the HDD Diagnostics menu and do the following;

DLGDIAG will verify the HDD's status and WDDLGT will hopefully scan and fix any errors - if it can't it'll let you know why.

If they don't work, you can move on to the harder stuff.

MHDD and DRevitalize will both attempt to locate and fix any mechanical defects.
    DLGDIAG froze and didn't finish. Said it would take 5 mins, got dinner, came back after 30 mins and the Abort function didn't work.

Couldn't see anything inside the WDDLGT which would scan, only setting up a new drive and view info.

DRevitalize is currently running, albeit slowly.

0 0 0

7. Re: Windows 7 BSOD - Unmountable Boot Volume 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    80 Post(s)
    If you've got everything you need off the drive, why not format the disc and re-install Windows?
    Q7 3.0 TDI Quattro (272 HP) S-Line
    (Gone) A6 C6 AVANT 2.7TDI SE MANUAL
    Hers - Mk. VII Golf '15' 2.0 TDI BlueMotion

0 0 0

8. Re: Windows 7 BSOD - Unmountable Boot Volume 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    Surely as it's a drive fault not OS the issue will still be there?

12 hrs in and were a 1/3 of the way through

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 0 0

9. Re: Windows 7 BSOD - Unmountable Boot Volume 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    80 Post(s)
    Not if the bad sectors are maked as such and therefore marked not for use.
    Q7 3.0 TDI Quattro (272 HP) S-Line
    (Gone) A6 C6 AVANT 2.7TDI SE MANUAL
    Hers - Mk. VII Golf '15' 2.0 TDI BlueMotion

0 0 0

10. Re: Windows 7 BSOD - Unmountable Boot Volume 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ragebe View Post
    Not if the bad sectors are maked as such and therefore marked not for use.
    I'll probably just end up keeping it in the caddy to be honest after the test finally finishes and get another. Don't think I could trust it again.

However, Sam's test has proven useful and at 24hrs were 2/3 of the way through and found some(!) bad sectors. I assume since it's 'recovered' them they've been fixed? Hopefully this lets me boot up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 0 0

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast