Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Best Value Data Sims for Internet Access: Ideas anyone?

Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
  1. Re: Best Value Data Sims for Internet Access: Ideas anyone? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cant you tether the car to the phone via bluetooth and let it use the phones (android) data connection?

0 0 0

2. Re: Best Value Data Sims for Internet Access: Ideas anyone? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    171 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chesterfield View Post
    Cant you tether the car to the phone via bluetooth and let it use the phones (android) data connection?
    yes if the phone supports rSAP. The issue is that increasingly fewer phones do, Apple not at all and many Android phones either don't or require additional software to make it support rSAP. Going forward this will of course become a thing of the past as Audi adopts Android Auto and Apple Car Play

0 0 0

3. Re: Best Value Data Sims for Internet Access: Ideas anyone? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I appreciate that, though as a samsung galaxy user it seems im one of the lucky ones. Im thinking of changing my phone from the S4, so will be researching which android phones support rSAP. I believe the S5 does, and that would be my first choice of phone at present having not yet done much research.

I added an "add on" to my curent three package of all you can eat data for £3 a month. Im not a very heavy user of the phone at all for calls or texts, but do browse a heck of a lot with it. The £3 a month for unlimited data was too good to pass up. Cant see if they allow you to bolt that onto any contract though - maybe worth looking for those that dont already have it.

0 0 0

4. Re: Best Value Data Sims for Internet Access: Ideas anyone? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    Update on 321 sim issue. Reset telephone MMI to use the sim for calls. Made a call; and reset calls back to Bluetooth etc. Data only access back now. Bit of a faf as whole MMI had to reset itself twice. See how long it lasts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A6 Black Edition - 2014 - 2.0 TDI Manual
    Daytona Grey Pearl, Full LED Headlights, Technology Pack, Advanced Key
    4 Zone Climate Control & Heated Seats, Colour DIS, Lighting Pack - LED Ambient Lighting.

1 0 0

5. Re: Best Value Data Sims for Internet Access: Ideas anyone? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    giffgaff and 3

Since getting my A6 Ultra in May I've been using a giffgaff sim. Initially a £10 1Gb goody bag. Seemed to work well though the MMI defaults to trying to use O2's connection details which need to be updated. After the 1st month, I let the goody bag lapse and just used the £5 credit I had on it. Just using it for data including casual laptop/ipad use by passengers I was amazed how little it seemed to consume. One odd thing... for a few days after getting it, the giffgaff sim would rarely connect as 3G, mainly just 2G, which didn't work at all.

I've now switched to a 3 Mobile Broadband 1 month contract - £1Gb data for £7.50/m. Slightly cheaper than giffgaff but will roll over charging till I cancel. Main reason to get this is it purports to allow me to use the 1Gb in their 'feel at home' countries as part of the data allowance including France and Italy where I'm heading next month. I say purports as, of three "3" agents I spoke to, 1 thought it didnt apply, the other 2 did - I'll see if the majority were right !!

In both cases I'm only interested in using it for data not voice - giff will do both but 3 apparently wont.

0 0 0

6. Re: Best Value Data Sims for Internet Access: Ideas anyone? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Still happy with my MobiData data only SIM, 1Gb/month £6 VAT included...Driving all the way down to Italy next week, will see what the charges are then....

Audi A6 Avant 4G 3.0 Tdi Quattro S-Line - Daytona Grey, Matrix Lights, Tech Pack Advanced, Headup Display, Rear Camera, Park Assist, Front/Rear Heated Seats, Advanced Keys, Adaptive Suspensions

0 0 0

7. Re: Best Value Data Sims for Internet Access: Ideas anyone? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sbaffi View Post
    Still happy with my MobiData data only SIM, 1Gb/month £6 VAT included...Driving all the way down to Italy next week, will see what the charges are then....

Using abroad costs 15p per MB.

That means 1GB will cost £150. Don't know how much data you will use, but it might turn out to be quite expensive.
    A6 Allroad BiTDI, Phantom Black, Rear Parking Camera, Tech Pack, Lighting Pack, Heated Front Seats, Side Assist, 75l Tank, Thru Load, Adaptive Lights, 4 Zone a/c, Comfort Seats, Folding/Dimming Door Mirrors, Deletion of Model / Engine Badges.

0 0 0

8. Re: Best Value Data Sims for Internet Access: Ideas anyone? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    I was doing some homework on EE's 3G network as they have a mast just over 500m away from my relatives' house and the next nearest is over 4 miles away. Although you can still get some tariffs from T-Mobile and Orange, the virtual network operators like Virgin are still offfering a wider range.

Until the end of Sep 2014, The Peoples Operator are offering unltd calls, unltd SMS and 3Gb for £3.99 for two months after which it reverts to £14.99 on a SIM-only rolling 30 day contract. www.thepeoplesoperator.com

As I already have a 3 SIM with 2.5Gb for a bit more than this I'm not going to bother, but if anyone gets one, let us know ASAP how you get on please. And don't forget to cancel...

0 0 0

9. Re: Best Value Data Sims for Internet Access: Ideas anyone? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    My 12 month 3 data sim just ran out and my 321 emergency SIM got the message that Gmoster got "Your SIM will only work in your phone"

So I did a trawl and EE are doing a 6GB 3 month PAYG for £14.99 on ebay, so I've bought and will report back on how I get on.

EE 4G Network Standard/Micro Sim 6GB Data Card with 90Days Validity | eBay
    Audi A6 (C7) 3.0 TDI S Line Quattro 245 Daytona Grey Sep 2013 -
    Audi A4 (B8) 2.0 TDI SE 143 Lava Grey 2008 - 2013

0 0 0

10. Re: Best Value Data Sims for Internet Access: Ideas anyone? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    That's funny Buster as my 3 sim came back with the same message a few days back. My reset technique didn't work either. So I need to come up with a solution. Will check the data left on the 3 sim first. Then it might be an EE trial for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A6 Black Edition - 2014 - 2.0 TDI Manual
    Daytona Grey Pearl, Full LED Headlights, Technology Pack, Advanced Key
    4 Zone Climate Control & Heated Seats, Colour DIS, Lighting Pack - LED Ambient Lighting.

0 0 0

Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast