1. Re: Rear suspension noise? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My shock absorbers were replaced under warranty and the noise greatly reduced, by say 80%, but did not disappear completely. It's tolerable now but I won't be getting another VW.

0 0 0

2. Re: Rear suspension noise? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pcr View Post
    My shock absorbers were replaced under warranty and the noise greatly reduced, by say 80%, but did not disappear completely. It's tolerable now but I won't be getting another VW.
    Same here, my car is a lot quieter after the shock absorber replacement but I can still here he noise a bit and it sounds like the LHS shocker. When my car goes in for it's 30,000klm service I will be getting them to look at the noise again.

0 0 0

3. Re: Rear suspension noise? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    This issue with rear suspension was first reported on this forum in January 2013, nearly two years ago. Its reported on forums in the UK, Australia, US and Germany. This evening I read on the rforum that rear suspension noise is an issue there with the new golf R. Let’s face it, nearly two years have gone by and still VW cannot produce certain golf models without this hollow rattling, knocking or call it whatever you like noise that is very evident at lower speeds over certain road surfaces.

My car is a so-called 2015 GTI without DCC and though the shock absorbers were replaced just over a month ago I still have an issue. My car was registered in June this year and I purchased it as an ex demo car with less than 2k on the clock.

At this moment and for the next 5 months I am using the car in southern Portugal where the roads are generally very good but we have many pedestrian crossings and roundabouts just as elsewhere and on the approaches to these there are rumble strips. Now each and every one I drive over creates the knocking sound. Obviously there are some poor roads and over certain depressions, ridges etc the knocking also occurs.

My dealer in the UK, Bath VW, has been very good with this issue and in April next year they will investigate further. That’s fine but as Volkswagen have known of this issue for quite a long time I am not convinced they have taken this seriously or they really don’t have a definitive solution and therefore a change of dampers was no doubt the cheapest way in trying to resolve the problem on what may clearly be a design fault with the rear suspension.

I have published on YouTube the audio file of this knocking. It doesn't really represent what you hear inside the car as I have used a high pass filter but the knocking is quite clearly heard. Turn up the volume for best results. It was recorded simply on an iPhone and I will try and get a better example of this noise to publish.
    VW take this seriously and get this sorted or do we have to wait for a MK8 Golf?

0 0 0

4. Re: Rear suspension noise? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    2015 GTI Performance DSG with Standard Suspension 3rd set of shock absorbers to be replaced within 6 months and with 6000 miles completed. This is an update to advise others who have the "Rolling Lumbar" noise from rear suspension just what can be achieved by being persistent.

17/04/2015
    I had a meeting with a Technical Representative from VW Milton Keynes. The meeting was held at the local VW dealership.

Initially we discussed the issue and the failure of VW to come up with a solution to the rear suspension noise that VW says is caused solely by the shock absorbers and nothing else. Well after two changes of these parts then what else can they do mechanically. This question initially left them with no answer to my question.

Now another question that I put to them was this. Is this an issue with standard dampers only fitted to various models within the MK7 range or does it affect cars fitted with Dynamic Chassis Control (DCC). There was no answer as no one really knew but certainly that is something I am sure they will be aware of if they check there records. In my view it is only an issue with standard suspension.

After the initial discussion where I learned that VW had appeared to do nothing else other than issue new dampers we agreed to have the VW rep sit as a passenger in my car while I drove over a road in Bath City Centre that I knew would produce the noise. The VW representative acknowledged there was an issue and that it was the same as other owners have reported and that he had witnessed previously.

We then drove a more recent GTI that was a demo car several months old and with 6000 miles on the clock. The representative drove and I was the passenger. We concluded that the noise was still apparent but somewhat less intrusive with less of the higher frequency rattle.

Finally we drove a GTI with Dynamic Chassis Control (DCC) with just 2000 miles covered and with the DCC mode set to comfort, the ride quality was immediately and noticeably improved, with any odd sounds from therear suspension all but eliminated. Over many sections of the same stretch of road that previously gave rise to the noise there was no sound at all and the ride was exceptionally good. On returning to the Dealer the VW representative was asked by the master technician and the Service Manager as to the outcome to which the technical representative used the expression “like chalk and cheese”.

The situation as is currently stands is that next week another set of shocks will be fitted along with new top suspension mounts. If this is not successful then is agreed that the car will be swapped for one fitted with Dynamic Chassis Control (DCC). At this stage I have no idea how that will be arranged as ideally I wish to have exactly the same specification GTI as I currently have though the same colour may not be possible which would be a disappointment as I have mine in Sunset Red which I like very much as opposed to boring black or grey that is so common place these days.

I conclude that this meeting was successful and that whatever happens next week I will eventually have a car that is without the noise that has been such an issue for the past 6 months. All parties that I met with today showed concern and an understanding of the noise issue that appears to be present on so many MK7 cars in various countries worldwide even on the MK7 E car that is common place in Iceland.

What does disappoint me is that the German manufacturer appears to believe that shock absorbers are the creator of the noise and all they do is design another component and yet, like me, there are other owners that have had two sets fitted but it does not cure the noise problem. After two years in production VW have had ample time to come up with a 100% guaranteed solution but in my view they have failed. Are VW hoping that we will just live with the noise and hopefully just give up and go away. I am not going away as I have pushed hard and I believe I will get what I want. From the discussion today I see that VW are sympathetic toward my case and will be doing their best to satisfy me.

My advice to anyone who is in a similar position to myself and who feels that they have a genuine complaint regarding the rear suspension issue is to take the stance that I have taken and that is to reject the car if they can’t fix it or request a replacement with DCC fitted. VW admit they have this problem and so they are liable. Do request a meeting with a Technical Representative from VW UK as a dealer can only do so much for you.

If they are willing to offer a change of vehicle for me then they should do it for others in a similar position. Also do things to help your case. Use your mobile phone and lay it on the back seat of the car and record the noise. Write to customer services at Milton Keynes, write to your Dealer and if on finance then write to the finance company. If you paid cash then you still have rights.

Make sure you keep records of discussions and work that has been carried out so far. Too many owners are dissatisfied and deserve to have their issue resolved once and for all. They deserve to be compensated for their wasted time, inconvenience, expense in going to and from the dealers and for the general dissatisfaction of driving a new car that has a reported worldwide issue that has been formally acknowledged by Volkswagen.

I will advise you on the various stages that I now will go through over the next few weeks.

Please post a message on my Youtube video if you would as the more VW see this then the more likely that they might sit up and take more notice.
    VW Golf GTI MK7 Rear Suspension Noise - Update 04/15. Car now rejected - YouTube

Send me a PM if you would as I would like to gather more information on whether only cars fitted with standard shocks have the problem or has it affected those with DCC.

0 0 0

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415