1. Chassis number locations 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    A friend of mine in the car trade recently told me of the dangers of relying on a hpi check to tell you everything about a car.

He told me of an example where he went to see a car that was clean on paper but was cloned and had chassis number welded on, on one part the car but he found another area that was the old number.

This got me thinking and worrying - can anyone tell me where to find chassis number locations on a C6 A6 please?

I'll attempt to check myself for peace of mind when viewing cars.
    Audi A6 C6/4F 3.0 V6 TDI Quattro S-line - BMK

0 0 0

2. Re: Chassis number locations 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    Bottom of windscreen, engine bay, I think on the left hand side looking down, via vcds and the data sticker in the spare wheel well and also in the CAR menu of the MMI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

0 0 0

3. Re: Chassis number locations 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks Chris - I also have no idea how to use the mmi - is there an idiots guide about?

And where's the obd port located on this? I have vcds light and an old eBay cable knocking about so will take it with me.

0 0 0

4. Re: Chassis number locations 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    this is the problem with relying on an hpi or other reg check. it only works if you are checking the right reg number, but if the seller is proper dodgy and knows what he or she is doing, you will be checking a perfectly legit reg number and chassis number, and good address, probably found after trawling forums for people that are all too willing to hand out all their details they shouldn't. before you know it you own a car that is also another identical car form the other side of the country, only difference is that one isn't nicked.
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

1 1 0

5. Re: Chassis number locations 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Hi ya Zol ...

Quote Originally Posted by zollaf View Post
    found after trawling forums for people that are all too willing to hand out all their details they shouldn't
    I'm glad someone else is advising this as everytime I say it some one always say's "but..."...

Just seen a post of VCDS log with VIN in it clearly ... this person also has uploaded images of his car with number plate clearly showing...

Now people who do this kind of thing then know where to get other details armed with both of above...

And hey presto ringer dinger appears ...

People forget so easily they are on the web, anyone can get an account to a forum to view attachments, etc, etc...

Regards
    G

0 1 0

6. Re: Chassis number locations 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    take a pic of your car outside your house with the reg showing. determined thief who does it for a living then trawls google earth until he finds your house, as most people put a location on.
    the hpi, reg check etc actually make it easier as people do it and presume its ok, without actually checking the car they are buying is the car it is meant to be.
    make it easy for crook sand they will continue to rip people off.
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

1 2 0

7. Re: Chassis number locations 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Not gonna reveal who this member is but will PM them to let them know of their security flaw...

i) posting of VIN

ii) posting of number plate

iii) their photobucket account is encryting filenames of photos so you can't guess links but their library is set to public and can see 30+ images

0 0 0

8. Re: Chassis number locations 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm hopefully buying from a dealer so I suppose this affords some protection.

I've also read that it's better to pay via card than cold hard cash as a crook won't want any trace back.

Additionally I look for reviews of the dealer online before going and a quick companies house check shows how long the business has been around.

As an example I went to see an A8 in Birmingham, probably known as one of the worst places to go for cars.

Car came up hpi clear and seemed very good value for money.

The business however was only registered a month ago when I got there it was in some really dodgy looking back alley. No other cars and no forecourt there, only a closed unit with a vinyl banner up.

One review came up a few weeks ago where the chap said he seen car which turned out crash/damaged and when he questioned it the dealer just walked off.

I got there and there was no one there- rang the guy and he asked if I had an appointment - only I had been speaking to him for two days prior and txt him in the morning with a reply to let him know I'm on the way. He said he'll be 10/15 mins - I waited 45 mins then gave up.

Doesn't inspire much confidence.

1 3 0

9. Re: Chassis number locations 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    171 Post(s)
    Many dealers have a limit of how much they will accept in cash for the sale of a car due to both the need to comply with anti-money laundering legislation and also the risk of being handed forged or stolen notes. Getting the customer to wait while they go to the bank to pay the money in is not something that many dealers (or customers) are prepared to do

1 2 0

10. Re: Chassis number locations 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Number plate alone is fine, there are tens thousands of cars on the likes of auto-trader with the plate showing.

I've even blown up some pics of cars for sale privately on there with the paperwork all laid out and can make out the VIN..which is a no-no

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast