1. Graphics card problem? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My desktop pc has a problem. It runs fine for 10-15 mins then the monitor goes blank (or black). The computer continues to run, sound is uninterrupted.
    It runs Linux mint debian, I have another boot of Linux mint 12 which behaves the same. Am I right in guessing the graphics card is dying? pcie with passive cooling (heat seems to be an issue with this pc.)
    2001 Passat estate Sport tdi 130hp
    2001 Passat Sport tdi 130hp
    1990 Audi coupe 20v x 2

0 0 0

2. Re: Graphics card problem? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    First thing to do would be to make sure your have the latest driver for the card.
    06 (my2006) Passat Estate 2.0 TDI SE 140bhp (BKP110710), MFD2, Premium Phone, 6CD Multichanger, MFSW, 4 new injectors!!!

0 0 0

3. Re: Graphics card problem? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry to sound obtuse, but I have not added any drivers, linux seemed to recognise the card and worked ok. I doubt the manufacturer has anything for linux anyway? If they did, I would not know how to update them.
    1990 Audi coupe 20v x 2

0 0 0

4. Re: Graphics card problem? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Go onto the manufacturers website and they should have the latest drivers for your operating system
    06 (my2006) Passat Estate 2.0 TDI SE 140bhp (BKP110710), MFD2, Premium Phone, 6CD Multichanger, MFSW, 4 new injectors!!!

0 0 0

5. Re: Graphics card problem? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    If heat is an issue with the PC, try running it with its case open, and maybe even with a fan blowing at it, and see if the symptoms change

Lang may yer lum reek!

Current: '09 Audi A4 Avant SE TDI (143)
    Previous: '56 VW Passat 2.0TDI SE - I survived 'BKP' ownership!

0 0 0

6. Re: Graphics card problem? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Would kick out drivers as the issue - fair chance it would only happen on one install rather than both versions of linux if that were the case
    Rip the side/top of the case off and run see if that gives you more time before it packs in and if heat is an issue
    Swap sockets if you have more pcie on your mobo
    then its a case of picking up a spare cheap one and swapping out (even if it doesnt help, its always nice to have a spare) cheapest on ebuyer is 22 notes - worth the test in my book, depends how old the pc is and its upgrade or replace time...

whats in the box?

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Does the PC work immediately after this? i.e. if you power down and reboot, does the display work and die in a similar way after a similar amount of time or does it require a waiting time before it fires up again?

If straight away it's unlikely to be heat.

...Also worth noting that the latest Ubuntu linux has a known issue with this sort of freezing up. Not sure if this is the same with Debian as I haven't used version 12.
    Current Car(s): 2003 Audi A8 4.2Q, TOP SPEC (Adaptive Cruise, Adaptive Cornering Lights, Bose, Voice Command, Extended leather including headlining, Tyre Pressure Monitoring......)
    Past Audi's: 2005 Audi A8 3.0TDI Quattro 2x 1999 Audi A8 4.2 Quattro, 2001 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro, 2x Audi A4 1.9TDI's (1999/2000), 1983 2.1 5 cyl Audi Coupe GT FI

0 0 0

8. Re: Graphics card problem? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    There are actually 2 issues,

1 after using for a fair length of time or more often, when viewing video, the whole pc goes off, the monitor goes into 'power saving mode' so technically is still 'on' at the point of failure. When this happens, the pc can be rebooted immediately but usually does it again within a minute or so. I previously had this problem and had to unplug/turn off the power supply for 5 seconds before it could be rebooted. I suspected a power supply problem so bought a 700w part. It still 'trips out' but no longer needs the power supply resetting to reboot.

2 The pc stays 'on' if playing vid, the sound continues, but the monitor goes black, thinking out loud, maybe standby/sleep mode? If I power off the pc and restart all is well (for as long as can be expected)

It is a Athlon 5400 I think dual core, foxconn mobo, I had a similar issue (well issue 1) with the previous athlon 3000XP processor and mobo in this case. And fwiw, there was a working windows XP partition, which suffered the same gremlins. In fact it 'died' as a result of attempting to reboot too early and 'tripping out' mid boot cycle!

edit, I recently started reusing this pc after a break of a few months, it seems a bit more stable but still suffers both issues
    1990 Audi coupe 20v x 2

0 0 0

9. Re: Graphics card problem? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The whole PC going off would generally be more related to heat somewhere other than the graphics card. Usually graphics cards will tend to break up and distort the display, or cause the video to lock up rather than outright resetting it. Overheating CPU on the otherhand can cause what you describe and AMD's are a pain for this.

Is it some kind of micro case? If so an AMD chip and anything other than a basic graphics card (particularly if it's an ATI) will probably be a bit much for it.

There is a free utility called coretemp that will let you monitor your CPU temperature. Yours should stay around 60deg. Should work with reasonable stability up to around 90deg but may start to fall over/reset after that. This is where I would start.
    Current Car(s): 2003 Audi A8 4.2Q, TOP SPEC (Adaptive Cruise, Adaptive Cornering Lights, Bose, Voice Command, Extended leather including headlining, Tyre Pressure Monitoring......)
    Past Audi's: 2005 Audi A8 3.0TDI Quattro 2x 1999 Audi A8 4.2 Quattro, 2001 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro, 2x Audi A4 1.9TDI's (1999/2000), 1983 2.1 5 cyl Audi Coupe GT FI

0 0 0

10. Re: Graphics card problem? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    No not a micro case, ATx tower with 4 cd rom bays. I think it's heat too, the graphics card is passive cooled, if the processor is cranking it out, and not enough ventilation then I guess it is whichever breaks down first. I have tried it with the side casing off, but not with a fan blowing into the case, will try that next then get a better ventilated, maybe gamer's case if successful? thanks for all suggestions
    1990 Audi coupe 20v x 2

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast