1. Cheap Fix for Passat B6 Steering lock problem with non dealer recode 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Guys and Girls i have seen this has been posted about before , Iam a car dealer and have had the same problem or similar to other people on this forum after alot of home work and some help from another post on here
    Steering Lock See Workshop and dealer problem

I have worked out a cheap way to fix this after problems with a vehicle i had in stock and didnt need to go to dealer for recode, hope i dont get shot down in flames but just trying to help anyone else out there

1. Purchase New Steering Lock part number 3C0905861J AND 2 X N91023802 SAFTEY BOLTS

2. read this section on the thread where V6JULES kindley explained how to remove steering column from vehicle and Steering lock unit

Quote Originally Posted by V6Jules View Post
    Right photos uploaded so here we go.

First you need to get the steering column off your car. This is not very hard and Andy describes how to do this in post #19 or you can get a haynes manual which will also tell you how. I found refitting the column was easier with a second pair of hands but easily doable on your own.

With the rack removed you will have this

The black box on the far left of the photo is your steering lock. This now needs removing from the column. to do this i used a small cold chisel to tap around the anti tamper bolts that secure it to the column, They are not that tight so come out pretty easily.

With the lock off on your bench (kitchen work surface in my case as it was cold outside ) You can see on the underside is the large flat blade that sticks out into your column, and also the the little slide that will slide across to lock the blade down when you remove the black plastic cover. The black plastic cover now needs to come off. I achieved this by sqeezing the end where the blade is as there are clips and prying the other end up gently with a flat blade screwdriver, you are best to attack it from the bottom side in the photo below as this is opposite to the circuit board so no risk of slipping and hitting it.

Once the cover is off i would leave out the anti tamper device which is the little bit of black plastic and spring in the photo above. The motor and mechanism can now be gently prised off as it is clipped to the circuit board, i gently teased it away by prying between the white plastic spiral cam and the silver actuator arm it operates.

The circuit board can then be removed, it is held on with what i think is T8 torx bits as none of mine fitted (T6 and T10) but i had a small flat blade screwdiver that fitted very snuggly and used that.

You can now see looking at the board that there are two limit switches, i left the top one well alone and concentrated on the lower one, my contact cleaner destroyed the little green seal so i pulled it right off to make it easier to get the spray right into the switch. I sprayed it a good few times and each time worked the switch in and out with my finger.

***** I will point out that the steering lock on my vehicle was stuck off so vehicle steering could be turned with ignition key not even in the lock , i removed the above and notice that the lock itself had jammed up not sure if it was just the motor or the lock broken , but had a good look after playing around with unit for a while i connected the old unit back upto the car with turned white spindle by hand and bang the ignition lights turned on as they should registering the steering lock was off in the comfort control module , what i did then was removed old circuit board from old lock then removed this from new lock unit , i then fitted the old circuit board onto the new lock and tried ignition again and yep steering lock came off and ignition lights came on a vehicle started , Then fitted everything back to vehicle using the new saftey bolts and yep all working fine ,

Total Cost for repair was less than £80 in parts and what ever labour was involved say couple of hours work didnt need to take vehicle back to VW to be recoded as i used old circuit board

Hope this is of help to anyone who has the same or similar problems , The cost went from over £900 then discounted down to £700 then after viewing this web site and info from V6jules Post i had a go my self and brought the costs down to less than £100
    Thanks
    Nick
    Last edited by Sam; 15-10-2012 at 12:51 PM. Reason: fixing quote

1 0 0

2. Re: Cheap Fix for Passat B6 Steering lock problem with non dealer recode 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    The above 'fix' almost certainly won't last because the fault is caused mainly by the microswitches on the circuit board which means the fault has just been transferred to the new lock.
    You should have kept the new circuit board and swapped the microchips or used the old circuit board and swapped the microswitches. Microswitch swap is easier if you are not into soldering microchips.

0 1 0

3. Re: Cheap Fix for Passat B6 Steering lock problem with non dealer recode 
    DSG4ME Guest
    Isn't this now available at a VW dealer for around the £350 mark.

0 0 0

4. Re: Cheap Fix for Passat B6 Steering lock problem with non dealer recode 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Yes it's currently £75 for the lock plus fitting and coding. About £350 all in. It's a free recall in the USA.

0 0 0

5. Re: Cheap Fix for Passat B6 Steering lock problem with non dealer recode 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    VW's attitude to problems with their cars really does make you want to go out and buy another....
    2006 (Dec.) B6 2.0TDi 140 Confort | Moka anthracite nacré | CControl | Highline MFD | Chrome Grill | Meta Targa rear parking sensors | Debadged
    1996 Laguna 2.2D
    1977 MGB roadster

0 0 0

6. Re: Cheap Fix for Passat B6 Steering lock problem with non dealer recode 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    And other manufactures are any better? OK, yes Jaguar are better but that is a different class of car.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

7. Re: Cheap Fix for Passat B6 Steering lock problem with non dealer recode 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i would just like to add to this thread i had my car fixed 18 months ago at the cost of 150 quid they had the steering column off inside 20 mins did there magic on the workbench and car was ready to go after an hour top class fix they recently done my glowplugs as well they have the software to do all is required on everything vw i recommend these guys very highly so if you can get your car to northampton they will fix it they have had people come from as far away as ireland so if u need any more info drop me a line and i will pass on there mobile number all the very best fellow dubbers reddevil7

1 0 0

8. Re: Cheap Fix for Passat B6 Steering lock problem with non dealer recode 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    And other manufactures are any better? OK, yes Jaguar are better but that is a different class of car.
    I suppose not, but my mind's concentrated on VW since I spent a lot of money buying one, and I don't like being treated like sh....

Being a cynic, it also winds me up when people post their thanks on here to VW for fixing a fault (only after they've been forced to) that could have killed them.
    2006 (Dec.) B6 2.0TDi 140 Confort | Moka anthracite nacré | CControl | Highline MFD | Chrome Grill | Meta Targa rear parking sensors | Debadged
    1996 Laguna 2.2D
    1977 MGB roadster

0 0 0

9. Re: Cheap Fix for Passat B6 Steering lock problem with non dealer recode 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by martin1810 View Post
    The above 'fix' almost certainly won't last because the fault is caused mainly by the microswitches on the circuit board which means the fault has just been transferred to the new lock.
    You should have kept the new circuit board and swapped the microchips or used the old circuit board and swapped the microswitches. Microswitch swap is easier if you are not into soldering microchips.
    Cars been ok for couple of months now not heard a thing back from the people we sold it to so crossfingers its worked fine to date , will let anyone know if i here from them

0 0 0

10. Re: Cheap Fix for Passat B6 Steering lock problem with non dealer recode 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    Quatrelle, the service you have received is not something the VW personnel are trained to give, it is an endemic problem in the trade and society itself, only Jaguar seem to have been able to shake it off and treat customer like people, not c*nt5tomers as I have heard dealer personnel refer to them as. Unfortunately some customers can be *****, but that is another subject in itself.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 0

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast