Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Help

I have just fixed my window clips on my passenger side door on my mk4 golf as they failed and the window dropped into the door. All went well following the instuctions on this site.

I put it all back together and the door and window operated fine. But now when I locked the car and opened it again, allthough the post pops up I cannot open the door from the inside or out. (post pops up and down happily). The cables I re-attached seem okay as both the outside and inside handle seem to be pulling on something, but whatever it is it isnt opening the door. Its funny because it worked until I locked the car.

The door lock may have failed but I cant get to it and remove the door card because I cant open the door.

Any way to open the door so I can get to the lock to have a look.

There must be a way other than smashing up the door card

0 0 0

2. Re: door wont open Mk4 golf 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You don't mention what year you MkIV is, but the first of that model (as well as Passats & Boras) gave trouble with the locks jamming. One way of attempting to get the door open is to 'bang' the door with the side of your fist - this often works. If it doesn't then it's a tough enough job to get the door panel off with the door closed.

0 0 0

3. Re: door wont open Mk4 golf 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The only way i can think to do it is to take what screws you can out of the door card, and then get something "L" shaped to stick down the side of the window to lift (force) the top of the door card away from window. It should just seperate enough for you tohave a look and get your hand/s in?

Good luck

Nick

0 0 0

4. Re: door wont open Mk4 golf 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,

dmreeceuk, did you find a solution in the end? I have precisely the same problem as you - the door worked at first but then stopped doing so after locking it for the first time. Worse though, is that in my case the clips failed on the drivers side..!!

Thanks in advance,

Nimesh

0 0 0

5. Re: door wont open Mk4 golf 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    aghhh. the drivers door!

I still havent even attempted it. Its my wifes car and she doenst take passengers often except our baby who goes in the back so I calmed down and am going to tackle it with a clear head.

Its interesting that you had the same problem. I fixed the window, all worked, shut the door and opend it and all worked. Locked the door and posts went down as usual, unlocked the central locking, post went up normally but the door doesnt open from inside or out. The posts go up and down fine, so what is the problem? The clip on the outside handle that pulls the wire to open the door is still attached.

I dont know if you can get the door card off with it closed. The dash may get in the way. I might take it to the dealers but its going to cost me! I did the job myself to save money and I subsequently find out in the UK VW are offering to fix the window clips free for cars less than 7 years old.

Found that out too late.

Any ideas folks we both have the same issue??

thanks

0 0 0

6. Re: door wont open Mk4 golf 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Oh no...

Yes I had those exact symptoms as you. In fact, all I was doing when I dismantled in my case was to discover what the issue was (the clips failing). So I may find out if VW can get involved, though I think I'm just outside the 7 year period. I did a few quck scans on other forums and it seems like a common problem, it could be that the lock is electromagnetically controlled and the only solution is to smash the lock open, which in turn will require smashing through the interior/card.

Yikes. £££

0 0 0

7. Re: door wont open Mk4 golf 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    dmreeceuk, try this one: when you re-assembled the door handle assembly, you may have, like me, re-attached the small cable to the outer handle to tightly, in which case just slacken it off by adjusting the small plastic tab in the threaded groove (yellow arrow below). Obviously you'll need to access the retaining screw which secures the blank in the door handle, which you would have don with the door open but you *should* be able to get to this with the nearside rear door open.

1 0 0

8. Re: door wont open Mk4 golf 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi
    Just seen your postings. I seem to have exactly the same problem. Replacing the regulator clips went fine. The lock worked fine for a few days, but after a few times of needing a couple of go's at opening the door it finally gave up the ghost today. The locking post goes up and down alright, but the catch will not give and open the door.

Did you ever find the root of the problem?

0 0 0

9. Re: door wont open Mk4 golf 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    nimeshthakrar YOU ARE A STAR!!!

That was exactly the problem! Partly out of lazyness and partly because I wanted to see if the forum came up with anything I waited several months with passengers climbing over the seats. I have just been outside and flicked the clip off. This then allowed me to open the door from the inside hurrahhh!!!(you cant get to the cover blank with the door closed - or you need a right angle torx key). I then could release the cover and reposition the wire with more slack- and hey presto it works - all five minutes work. Patentence is a virtue.

Thanks Im smiling

0 0 0

10. Thumbs up Re: door wont open Mk4 golf 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The same thing exactly happened to me. After fitting new driver's door window cables and closing the door for the first time it would not open from either the inside or outside handles. The main dealer who sold me the spare parts were very coy about suggesting a way that I could open the door. Seeing the photo in nimeshthakrar's post I realised what had happened. I went straight to the car and "pushed" the outside door handle and bingo it opened! Slackening the cable a couple of grooves gave me a permanent solution. Thanks very much!

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast