1. Fuel Consumption and cheap fuel 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    In the 40days or so i have had the car i have had three tanks fulls of shell. Not the V+ the normal stuff. My last tank fill was at Tesco and i averaged 33.6mpg whereas with shell i was the 35 - 36.9 range.

Am i paranoid but does supermarket fuel have a hit on mpg.

I filled up BP this evening before leaving stevenage and drove down.the A1 and round the M25 70mph cruise control most if the way, on the Mway the car was averageing 51mpg which came down to 45mpg over 5miles of in town journey.

Now i know that figure is going to come down but i am fairly confident i will get 35mpg+

Tesco diesel £1:35.9 Shell and BP £1:38.9

The advantage tesco has is the clubcard points which add up with the £400 worth of company.fuel tbh i would rather have better fuel in the veins than the club points.

Would be interestin if anyone has experienced similar differences in mpg with fuel from the different companies and supermarkets.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk 2
    Furion
    Gone: Audi A6 Avant Le Mans 3.0 TDI 6 Speed Tiptronic
    Gone: VW Touareg Se Sport 3.2 V6
    Gone: BMW 325i M Sport
    Gone: Merc E240

0 0 0

2. Re: Fuel Consumption and cheap fuel 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Hi Furion,

There are a few thread about the merits of premium fuel already on the forum so you can do a search & catch up on them to guage the consensus of opinion.

I was watching an episode of Fifth Gear recently where they took a car to a racing team's HQ & put it on a rolling road. Firstly with a supermarket fuel, then tried V-Power and then the BP premium fuel. the outcome was that the supermarket fuel achieved something like 148bhp and both the premium fuels achieved 156bhp. You may be able to search this on Youtube possibly?

Anyway, one of the mods on here (Ben) attached a few links to threads which discuss the merits of premium fuel to a thread I started called 'Not a lot of people know that - about fuel' or something like that. It should provide some food for thought if you have a look at that anyway.
    The Only Way Is A6!
    A6 C7 Facelift Avant | Daytona Grey | S-Line Black Edition | 2016 | 3.0BiTDI 320ps | Tech Pack | Lighting Pack | Parking Pack | All LED Headlights | Sports suspension Heated Steering Wheel | Kessel a Run in under 10 parsecs

1 1 0

3. Re: Fuel Consumption and cheap fuel 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Funny this comes up again.....

I would prefer to put good stuff in but don't always have the chance,however the other day I pulled in to a shell station and so put in a full tank of V- power diesel.
    i am absolutely certain that my mpg was better by about 3mpg.

If I can put this in regularly I will,and see if my long term average comes up

0 0 0

4. Re: Fuel Consumption and cheap fuel 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Furion View Post
    In the 40days or so i have had the car i have had three tanks fulls of shell. Not the V+ the normal stuff. My last tank fill was at Tesco and i averaged 33.6mpg whereas with shell i was the 35 - 36.9 range.

Am i paranoid but does supermarket fuel have a hit on mpg.

I filled up BP this evening before leaving stevenage and drove down.the A1 and round the M25 70mph cruise control most if the way, on the Mway the car was averageing 51mpg which came down to 45mpg over 5miles of in town journey.

Now i know that figure is going to come down but i am fairly confident i will get 35mpg+

Tesco diesel £1:35.9 Shell and BP £1:38.9

The advantage tesco has is the clubcard points which add up with the £400 worth of company.fuel tbh i would rather have better fuel in the veins than the club points.

Would be interestin if anyone has experienced similar differences in mpg with fuel from the different companies and supermarkets.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk 2
    Re the clubcard thing, you can still get some of the benefit - I have a Tesco credit card which is also my clubcard - so I get points on spend at Tesco as normal, but spending money on the CC at non-Tesco oulets also gets me some. It was quite profitable when I was travelling weekly to Dublin on business for a year, even at Ryamairs "low" prices.

Supermarket diesel has 5% biodiesel, which may explain the impact on power/mpg. I'm not sure if the "premium" diesels (V-Power etc) make that much difference over "standard" BP/Shell diesels. Shame Tesco don't do a premium diesel, although they do a premium peterol (Momentum).

0 0 0

5. Re: Fuel Consumption and cheap fuel 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just to throw my 2penny worth, always have used Shell diesel for my cars, but after a few pointers on here and advised to switch to V power, which I did. I am so glad there is good advice on here, before with Shell diesel was averaging around 34 mpg since switching to Vpower 38.5mpg (44mpg on motorways), also the acceleration is much smoother and less smoke as well.
    George
    1998 A6 Avant 2.5TDI AFB
    RETIRED @ 185K miles,
    2006 A6 Avant 3.0TDI BMK S Line Quattro retired due to RTC
    2009 S4 B8 Avant Stage 2 + DP EPL & TCU, big list of mods

1 1 0

6. Re: Fuel Consumption and cheap fuel 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    As I can get Shell diesel at the same price a Tesco (137.9) next time I fill up I'll see what I get from that. I'll "lose" 1p of clubcard benefit for each litre, so 4.5p/gallon. If I get an improvement from 31mpg to 33 mpg for a 70l / 15.7 gallon fill I'll get 518 miles instead of 487, an increase of 31 miles. So a deficit of 71p for a benefit of 0.93 of a gallon, so £5.70, so £5 nett gain. IF I get am improvement of 2mpg. That would be worth it. Whether the additional premium of whatever the mark-up on V-Power is would be worth it I don't know, but maybe I'll try it. I'm earning enough right now to test it out. Still even if it's 4p/l more thats only £2.80/70l, so I'd still be saving money (assuming the same +2mpg) AND being kinder to my engine and injectors, and quite possibly the EGR valve.

0 0 0

7. Re: Fuel Consumption and cheap fuel 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Being a Scotsman by birth, I don't like overpaying for anything at all, so paying an extra 8-10 ppl sort of goes against the grain with me. But if I put in 70l at an extra 8ppl it's cost me an extra £5.60. per tank - a price I personally think worth it to keep my (thousands of pounds worth of car) engine nicely cleaned due to all the additives & detergents that you get in a tank of V-Power. If I get better performance & power, that's a bonus, but the main reason I use V-Power at least every other time is to look after my investment. We don't have much disposable income & I'd be up the proverbial creek without a paddle if my car developed problems.

That's the way I look at it anyway, each to their own way of thinking though.
    The Only Way Is A6!
    A6 C7 Facelift Avant | Daytona Grey | S-Line Black Edition | 2016 | 3.0BiTDI 320ps | Tech Pack | Lighting Pack | Parking Pack | All LED Headlights | Sports suspension Heated Steering Wheel | Kessel a Run in under 10 parsecs

0 1 0

8. Re: Fuel Consumption and cheap fuel 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Another thing to help with buying V Power is too switch your rewards to Shell vouchers, I think its £2.50 for every 500 points which nearly covers the addittional cost/litre
    George
    1998 A6 Avant 2.5TDI AFB
    RETIRED @ 185K miles,
    2006 A6 Avant 3.0TDI BMK S Line Quattro retired due to RTC
    2009 S4 B8 Avant Stage 2 + DP EPL & TCU, big list of mods

0 0 0

9. Re: Fuel Consumption and cheap fuel 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Having only recently brought my 3.0 tdi I was not aware that supermarket diesel was so rubbish. I always ran my s4 on tesco 99 octane & it was recognised as being the fuel of choice for the power it was running. Looks like from now on I'll start using branded stuff, I have a shell local to me so will try some v power & see what difference it makes. Would it be worth putting some additive in to help clean things up a bit

0 0 0

10. Re: Fuel Consumption and cheap fuel 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bops6 View Post
    Would it be worth putting some additive in to help clean things up a bit
    V power should have all that IMO....