Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I need to change 2 balding Dunlop Sport Maxx 255/35 ZR 19's

Not been overly impressed with the Dunlops - they are OK, but wear fast and not too wonderful in the wet. (They seem to self destruct on the smallest pothole too!)

Thinking of trying Continental Sport Contact 5

Anyone any experience of these?
    BROKEN 58 3.0 TDI Quatrro S-Line - Quartz Grey - Manual - B&O - Xeons - Milano Leather - DVD Nav - Bluetooth
    WORKING 03 Caterham 1.8 Roadsport - 1950's British sports car reliability

0 0 0

2. Re: Quattro Tyre Question 
    21stCentury Guest
    Sorry, can't comment on the Sport Contact 5's but I notice you mention replacing two tyres. Were you aware that quattro's should be fitted with 4 identical type tyres of very similar tread depth?

0 0 0

3. Re: Quattro Tyre Question 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Gulp!

Had quattros for the last 10 years and have never mixed brands, but have varying tread depths front to rear many times.

Infact the dealer at the last service noted 2mm rear, 5mm front but only recommended changing 2?

Also if you get a puncture and wreck a part worn tyre, you need to replace all 4?

ETA- thinking about this there must be *some* tolerance in the wheel diameter (e.g. rolling radius) otherwise you'd need to rotate your tyres every few miles. (The rears wear faster than the fronts on my car!)
    Last edited by c7trp; 26-10-2011 at 07:07 PM. Reason: A thought!
    BROKEN 58 3.0 TDI Quatrro S-Line - Quartz Grey - Manual - B&O - Xeons - Milano Leather - DVD Nav - Bluetooth

0 0 0

4. Re: Quattro Tyre Question 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Got conti sport 2 on my car (non quattro) and they seem fine. They do seem to recommend it over the 3 for audi fitment
    2018 Amarok V6

1 0 0

5. Re: Quattro Tyre Question 
    21stCentury Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by c7trp View Post
    Had quattros for the last 10 years and have never mixed brands, but have varying tread depths front to rear many times.
    Clearly you have a much longer experience of quattro's than I do. I was only going by what I read in the manual and some other forum discussion. It's good to know that varying depths aren't as critical as the manual suggests.

I agree there must be some tolerance, but what is it? Your experience suggests the difference between 2mm and 5mm is not a problem.

I read somwhere that the reason different tyre types are not recommended is because apart from the variation in tyre dimensions the deformation of the sidewall where tyre meets road will also vary, thus affecting effective rolling radius.

0 0 0

6. Re: Quattro Tyre Question 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Tim

Sorry if my post was a bit short - didnt intend to flame you

I've spoken to my local Audi Mainstealer and they said you should avoid extremes of rolling radius. The example they used was larger section tyres on the rear, making them a larger diameter than the front.

They weren't keen on giving an exact figure, but said 5% of the radius is a good rule of thumb. For the 255/35 R19's the dynamic rolling radius is 321mm. So 5% is 16mm which is well within any treadwear limits...?

They also suggested I change to Continental Sport Contact 3 and they would be happy to do this, even though it has Dunlop Sport Maxx's on the rear. Apparently as long as the grip between the Conti's and Dunlops is similar all will be well...

I suppose there is only one way to find out!

Oh, for anyone looking at this in the future the Sport Contact 5 are a Mercedes only fitment. Sport Contact 3 for Audi

0 0 0

7. Re: Quattro Tyre Question 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i have heard that the conti sc3 is not as good as the sc2 in tyre tests. i think it was on Auto Express summer tyre test.
    2018 Amarok V6

0 0 0

8. Re: Quattro Tyre Question 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have the maint package with Tyres and today Audi approved the replacement of all 4 Tyres. I had Pirelli P Zero's that were 2mm front and 4mm rear after 9700 miles! The guy at National was adamant that Audi would only approve replacements for the front and that they would only agree to Continental SC3. As it turned out all 4 were swapped for Continental SC3 as these are the preferred replacement per Audi (Dunlop next then Goodyear). The lady at Audi said if the rears were more than 4mm they would tell National to fit Pirelli on the front again to maintain the same type across both axles. Let's hope the Contis last a bit longer!
    2011 S4, Brilliant Black, S-Tronic, Super Sports Seats, Carbon Atlas, 5 Segment Spoke Alloys, Full Drive Select, Sports Diff, Sound Pack, Tech Pack High, Bluetooth, Heated Front & Rear Seats, Convenience Pack, Tyre Pressure Ind, Advanced Key ,Leather Armrests & Adaptive Lights
    Gone 2008 2.0 TDI S-Line Multitronic

0 0 0

9. Re: Quattro Tyre Question 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've just fitted some Conti Sport Contact 3's to the front of my A4, which is a quattro.

I must say I'm rather impressed with 'em

First time out in the rain today and they do seem to grip alot better that the Pirelli's. I have noticed that they are a little quieter too. I just hope they last longer than the Pirelli's did - 13500 miles on the front .

I still have the P-zero rosso's on the back which have 5mm left on 'em and don't seem to have any probs with mixing tyres on each axle

According to the tyre dealer I went to the Conti's are now OEM fitment on 255/35 19 Audi's

https://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/s...5-35-19-To-Fit

Audi S4 Black Edition Saloon

0 0 0