Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Running AKE Engine of 2002 Audi Allroad 2.5TDI Automatic without the Viscous Fan Installed

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Running AKE Engine of 2002 Audi Allroad 2.5TDI Automatic without the Viscous Fan Installed 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Hi. I will soon be finished changing cam-belts etc on my car and would like to know if the
    engine can be run for a few minutes without the viscous fan installed. I would have the lock carrier in service position & everything connected apart fom the front v-belt & cam covers AND THE VISCOUS FAN. Is this possible or will the engine very quickly start overheating?
    Two reasons for doing this: a) It would let me see belts, tensioners & pulleys are running ok and b) I would like to test that the aircon compressor is working ok with a rough pulley bearing. The aircon was working before the v-belt snapped - caused by the tensioner roller breaking up. If the answer to b) is yes, I am planning to then remove the electro magnetic coupler and belt pulley of the compressor and get the bearings inside the pulley replaced. With my car, I find the air con is fully operation after running the engine for only a couple of minutes - thus the reason for this post.
    Again, all comments welcomed.

0 0 0

2. Re: Running AKE Engine of 2002 Audi Allroad 2.5TDI Automatic without the Viscous Fan Installed 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    No fan is not an issue for at least 10 minutes or so. Regards Peter

0 0 0

3. Re: Running AKE Engine of 2002 Audi Allroad 2.5TDI Automatic without the Viscous Fan Installed 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter D View Post
    No fan is not an issue for at least 10 minutes or so. Regards Peter
    Many thanks for that Peter. I will go ahead as planned.

0 0 0

4. Re: Running AKE Engine of 2002 Audi Allroad 2.5TDI Automatic without the Viscous Fan Installed 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Are you going to check the Dynamically pump timing and adjusting without the fan on. The engine must be allowed to reach 85 degrees. Regards Peter

0 0 0

5. Re: Running AKE Engine of 2002 Audi Allroad 2.5TDI Automatic without the Viscous Fan Installed 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Peter, a dirfferent question. Do you know how far the fuel injection pump locking pin goes into the hole? I have the damper off, the crank locking pin in together with the 2 cam locking plates in. I thought I would play safe and insert the locking pin before removing the belt (although the manual does not tell you to do this). It seems to just travel only the width of the injection pump pulley.

0 0 0

6. Re: Running AKE Engine of 2002 Audi Allroad 2.5TDI Automatic without the Viscous Fan Installed 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    You will not get the pin in on a worn/stretch pump elp. The Pin goes in without the belt to aid setting up the timing and tension. Regards Peter

0 0 0

7. Re: Running AKE Engine of 2002 Audi Allroad 2.5TDI Automatic without the Viscous Fan Installed 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter D View Post
    You will not get the pin in on a worn/stretch pump elp. The Pin goes in without the belt to aid setting up the timing and tension. Regards Peter
    You are spot on Peter - as soon as I released the tension on the belt the pin went straight in! Regards running without the viscous fan, it is just to first check the aircon compressor is working. If not it will have to come off and I wished to avoid again removing the fan and covers - trying to make life easier! I will dynamically check timing when everything is attached and the lock carrieer is back in service position - I currently have it swung off like a gate with only the two ATF pipes attached. Next job tomorrow is releasing the cam bolts and popping the cams, then new thermostat and water pump.

0 0 0

8. Re: Running AKE Engine of 2002 Audi Allroad 2.5TDI Automatic without the Viscous Fan Installed 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi. Sorry to hijack, but would you consider renting me the locking tools after you've finished with them?

0 0 0

9. Re: Running AKE Engine of 2002 Audi Allroad 2.5TDI Automatic without the Viscous Fan Installed 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by drpellypo View Post
    Hi. Sorry to hijack, but would you consider renting me the locking tools after you've finished with them?
    You can buy the locking kit with everthing you need for around 40 quid off ebay...

0 0 0

10. Re: Running AKE Engine of 2002 Audi Allroad 2.5TDI Automatic without the Viscous Fan Installed 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by drpellypo View Post
    Hi there and thanks for your comment. This is the sort of thing I was intending to advertise on this forum. I am not looking to make a profit but rather share the cost of the tools with interested parties.
    I have had to start from scratch and have the following:
    o Crankshaft locking pin
    o Two Cam Shaft locking plates
    0 Fuel Injection Pump Locking Pin
    o "Grenade" Locking Pin (from the new hydraulic damper I am installing)
    (Did not bother with main v-belt locking pin - round end of a 4mm drill bit will suffice
    o Removal Tool T40104 (+ accessories 1-6 or is it 7 cannot remember) - with this, dead easy to replace the mounting bushes on the power steering bracket - bushes etc support the v-belt tensioner and get worn.
    o Camshaft Sprocket holding tool
    o Diesel Injector Sockeet/Window 22mm to adjust fuel injection pump tensioner.
    You will also need (I borrowed) 24mm HEX socket to remove/install cam sprocket bolts, 24mm BIHEX socket to rotate crankshaft and 24mm allan socket (to adjust main v-belt tenioner). .
    o Two 32mm open-end spanners to remove viscous fan.

I think that is all the "extras" you need for the job. As I said I simply wish to share the cost of the above but if I rent them out I do want them back. So, depending on what you wish to rent, I would probably (only giving you a rough idea at present!) charge £15 + p&p for all the above (less if you only wish some) for as long as you would need them. As I wish them returned, I would first ask for a Paypal deposit for TWICE the value I paid for them. This would be refunded less the rental and postage. Recorded delivery to be used both ways with e-mailed postage receipt.
    Let me know if you are interested and we can take it further.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast