1. Angry VW Golf 1.6 FSI Engine noise 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I recently bought a 2006 Golf 1.6 FSI engine No BLF309538 with 6000 miles on the clock from a main dealer. There are strange noises coming from the engine compartment. Please see the log below.

1. Prior to the car having an annual service at 10000 miles I reported that there was a distinct resonance/growl from the engine compartment. This is audible when accelerating gently from first gear and changing up from first to second gear and diappears at approx 3500 rpm. My opinion was that the car sounded like a well sound proofed diesel at all speeds (from the passenger cabin)

2. VW suggested that it might be either hydraulic pipes and or the air filter box vibrating against the car body and that this would be checked during the service.

3. VW Solihull explained that the position of air filter box was adjusted during vehicle service and that I should bring the vehicle back if I still thought it was noisy

4. After the vehicle was serviced the i took it to a background noise free multi-story car park in Solihull. The following noise was heard repeatedly

With the gearbox in neutral and the clutch engaged.
    A growl/rattle as the accelerator was depressed occurring at approx 2000rpm and then disappearing at around +3000rpm.

With the clutch depressed and the engine idling a clunk noise as the accelerator is gently depressed. Not always repeatable.

The noise was similar to a little end rattle.

5. The vehicle was returned to VW and test driven by VW

With a warm engine the growl rattle was clearly evident on a slight hill start while gently accelerating away in first gear.

A similar VW 1.6 FSI engine was started (with 48,000 miles on the clock). It sounded as smooth as silk.

6. Further noises heard from the passenger compartment.

At tick over speed Intermittent and faint a noise sounding like a household electronic clock with a worn gear train. The noise repeats regularly.

With the clutch depressed and the engine idling a clunk noise as the accelerator is gently depressed. I also feel it through my feet Not always repeatable.

After depressing and releasing the accelerator the engine feels as though it rocks back on the engine mounts. I feel it through my feet.

The car has been booked in for a thorough investigation (I hope)

I would be grateful for any prior knowledge that anyone may have on my Golf FSI problems. I'm beginning to think the engine has been thrashed by the previous owner (who was the VW main dealer)

David Farmer

0 0 0

2. Re: VW Golf 1.6 FSI Engine noise 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yes , I have the same issues with this vw 1.6fsi engine . It is on a 2007 passat with a multitronic gearbox. I purchased the car new and looked after the engine during run-in so i don't think your engine was trashed. I should have got it looked at while it was under guarantee but too late now. Should i be worried?

0 0 0