1. Re: Reg plate lights staying on 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    There " MAY " be a join between the wiring between the two number plate lights !!!

Check that the join is not shorting and causing power on all the time please .............................. if it does exist. It seemingly is twisted and crimped, but has no cover

0 0 0

2. Re: Reg plate lights staying on 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    Also if you pull out the Fuse, do the lights go off ??

If no , then they are getting feed from something else ...................... which maybe leads to broken wires for tailgate hinge ................. or towbar electrics

0 0 0

3. Re: Reg plate lights staying on 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks Niall - I'd be first to look at the wiring if the lights were out as you're right the harness can break through twisting by the hinges - any ideas where I can find a wiring diagram or at least this element of the wiring diagram ?

0 0 0

4. Re: Reg plate lights staying on 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    No idea . If you cut the rubber, I am sure you will see or feel breaks in the wire and the wire colour at the lights should be the same at lights and hinge of tailgate

I know that the wire that feeds both bulbs would be my first check. You might need to take off the plastic trim inside the tailgate to access it.

The tailgate hinge would be my second

However, you need to find out if there is power at Fuse 4 first with your switch disconnected. If you have no power at Fuse 4 with switch disconnected then there is a short for power.

If there is no power at Fuse 4 , just pull it out !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! , then you know it surely would lead you to believe its the tailgate somewhere is feeding the lights.

By taking the lights out, and checking the wiring behind lights; will also let you see if water ingress is a problem. It has been on the Octavia around the number plates lights.

1 0 0

5. Re: Reg plate lights staying on 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Guys - any more ideas on this please ? It's an Octavia VRS, 2007. The number plate lights are permanently on, I've had to take the bulbs out to save the battery. The lights are on when everything on the car is switched off- they're on 24x7 ! Not on full brightness mind, still properly lit though.
    I've done some work by pulling fuses, and the power is coming from fuse 47 in the engine bay fuse box - this is the fuse for the left headlamp. Removing fuse 47 makes the number plate lights go out.
    I've pulled out the big multi-connector on the left headlamp and it makes no difference, number plate lights still on.
    I've eliminated the main light switch on the dash - the number plate lights are still lit with the light switch unplugged.

Anyone got a diagram or and ideas as to what might be causing this please ? All the other lights on the car work normally.

Thanks

John

0 0 0

6. Re: Reg plate lights staying on 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Have you replaced the tail lights/number plate lights with LED.
    I had a similar fault on my A4(front side lights lit 24/7)
    Cheap LED bulbs.
    Removed and no probs since.
    I could be bulb related,drawing a small current?
    2000 2.5TDI Quattro 173,000miles, just run in...Sold
    2006 TT 3.2 Quattro 40,000miles
    2005 A6 Avant 3.0TDI Quattro

0 0 0

7. Re: Reg plate lights staying on 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    No - they are normal halogen festoon bulbs - all standard. Good thought though.

0 0 0

8. Re: Reg plate lights staying on 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    Faulty relay then ?

1 0 0

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12