I am just considering fitting a towbar to my 2009 A4 Avant to tow a motorcycle trailer. I've had a few quotes, the cheapest of which comes in around £310 for a fixed bar and £365 detachable.

I ran my local Audi dealer and they quoted me over £2,000 because they said the towbar kit came with upgraded cooling fans and the quote included 8 hours labour.

I asked why I'd need upgraded cooling fans to tow a bike trailer (I might understand it with an 6 berth caravan)and didn't get much of an answer. I also asked why 8 hours labour was required and was told it included fitting the new fans and cutting the bumper.

When I told him how much I'd been quoted elsewhere he said that they didn't fit the audi electric kit and fitting a non standard towbar might become a warranty issue.

Anyone had an issue with fitting towbars independently or towing with the standard fans?

Secondly I understand that the bumper will probably need cutting. I'm told by one company that the cut is made underneath and is not really visible. Anyone able to confirm that.

Ta.