Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi All

I have an 09 A3 (but thought I'd post here as I'm more likely to get a reply) and I find the arm rest to be very creaky. Sometimes it's not so bad, but I think on cold(er) mornings, it's quite creaky, sometimes even when no weight is being put on it. I never put much weight on it, usually just rest my arm (what it's designed for) and it makes so much noise. There's nothing in the arm rest. Is this normal? Are the arm rests all such poor quality? They seem a little flimsy and not very solid.

Thanks
    Scott
    2009 Audi A3 2.0 TDI S Line Black Edition in Ibis White
    Modifications - Remap (P Torque) | Weitec Hicon GT Coilovers | H&R 10mm f /12mm r Spacers
    Eibach 26mm f /23mm r ARB's | Number plate/interior "Ultra" LEDs | Sound proofed doors

0 0 0

2. Re: Creaky arm rest 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You could take it into audi and have it replaced under warranty. Thing is it may have a crack or just be loose. If it has a crack, be nice to the service dept and they may replace it as a good will gesture. If not, it may need to be replaced outta your own pocket. I remember you telling me about this when you first got the car. SO just say "since you had the car the creaking is getting worst and it seems to be coming from the armrest, could you please have a look at it?"
    When i say it may not be done under warranty, it could be considered as a wear and tear part. Especially as your arm or passengers arms are on it. And the movement of the part is up and down. But you've only had it for 3months, so take it in asap. Hopefully it just needs to be tightened into place
    COMING SOON: '14 A5 Cabriolet S-line Special edition, Daytona Grey
    CURRENT: 11' A5 S-Line Black Edition Ibis White
    previous: 09' A3 S-line Ibis White

0 0 0

3. Re: Creaky arm rest 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My A4 armrest is seemingly inhabited by several mice...will ask the delaer to look at it at service time. And this is the second armrest, the first had a faulty lock! This is IMPO the poorest part of internal trim in the car.

0 0 0

4. Re: Creaky arm rest 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tlionhart View Post
    You could take it into audi and have it replaced under warranty. Thing is it may have a crack or just be loose. If it has a crack, be nice to the service dept and they may replace it as a good will gesture. If not, it may need to be replaced outta your own pocket. I remember you telling me about this when you first got the car. SO just say "since you had the car the creaking is getting worst and it seems to be coming from the armrest, could you please have a look at it?"
    When i say it may not be done under warranty, it could be considered as a wear and tear part. Especially as your arm or passengers arms are on it. And the movement of the part is up and down. But you've only had it for 3months, so take it in asap. Hopefully it just needs to be tightened into place
    Cheers Aaron. I'll probably end up taking it in but I really can't be ***** making another visit to Audi.
    Modifications - Remap (P Torque) | Weitec Hicon GT Coilovers | H&R 10mm f /12mm r Spacers
    Eibach 26mm f /23mm r ARB's | Number plate/interior "Ultra" LEDs | Sound proofed doors

0 0 0

5. Re: Creaky arm rest 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red 2 View Post
    My A4 armrest is seemingly inhabited by several mice...will ask the delaer to look at it at service time. And this is the second armrest, the first had a faulty lock! This is IMPO the poorest part of internal trim in the car.
    I agree it's terrible. I remember a used Audi I was looking at had a broken lock on the armrest. I may visit Birmingham Audi again soon and check out their used cars for suspected mice, lol - then I can work out how bad mine is in comparison.

0 0 0

6. Re: Creaky arm rest 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The very nature of the design means it was always going to be rubbish - i am 6-2 and i have to extend it forwards for it to be useful so its always going to be stressed and hence the mice. Its already on my lists of complaints and now the air con is making stupid whistling noises as well.
    2018 Amarok V6

0 0 0

7. Re: Creaky arm rest 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jakerade View Post
    The very nature of the design means it was always going to be rubbish - i am 6-2 and i have to extend it forwards for it to be useful so its always going to be stressed and hence the mice. Its already on my lists of complaints and now the air con is making stupid whistling noises as well.
    how do you mean "extend it forward" not totally sure what you mean by that.

0 0 0

8. Re: Creaky arm rest 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    leather part of the arm rest pulls forward on a B8 A4 - totally different construction to an A3 which is more like what you find on the B7 A4
    2018 Amarok V6

0 0 0

9. Re: Creaky arm rest 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    leather part of the arm rest pulls forward on a B8 A4 - totally different construction to an A3 which is more like what you find on the B7 A4

Ahhh I see.
    and it's still really creaky.... not good.

0 0 0

10. Re: Creaky arm rest 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I agree here. Im not 6'2 but do sit like a spaceman. I need the thing fully extended forward to get comfy. I also find the cubby hole in the armrest useless as its design it means you need to reset the height each time you go in there to get a travel sweet. And if you have redbull can i the holder you cant put he thing back down to lift it back in locking mode again (without first removing the can)

I also noticed a glaringly obvious design flaw on the new A3 where you cant lift the handbrake propper if the armrest is down.

What moron design's these things????

0 0 0

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast