1. Question Why no TDI 143 in Manual 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Silly question, why is the TDI 143 now only available in Auitomatic whereas the manual has 136 BHP ?

I have a TDI 143 manual but I was assuming they de-tuned the 143 to put more of a marketing gap between the TDI 170, now the TDI 120 has gone.

0 0 0

2. Re: Why no TDI 143 in Manual 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I reckon the 120 was a mistake, too underpowered for what is supposed to be a relatively sporty brand.

if you look at the old manual 143 and new 136 performance figures I think they are near identical. except the 136 is more economical. I think it is the case of being able to get same speed but lower co2 and better fuel economy from a slight detune (suspect it is more than just a detune).

I think however that the addition of an auto to the 136 would sap just a little too much power/torque and the performance wasn't acceptable to Audi....

just my guess, could be completely wrong...won't be the first time!
    MY2011 (Apr), A4 B8 Avant, 2.0 TDI 170 quattro technik in Brilliant Red. Full leather, DAB, Lighting pack, 3g MMI HDD Sat Nav, Parking Plus, AMI, Boot liner.

0 0 0

3. Re: Why no TDI 143 in Manual 
    Bratty Guest
    Even though the numbers DO NOT ADD-UP! BHP does not equal PS, your cars are models that are mostly marketed in mainland Europe where the designation is actually referring to PS (Pferdestarke) and for some reason which I cannot even get my head round!! There is a difference between (Euro) HorsePower and Brake HorsePower!

So a TDi 140 would be 140 PS (138.08 BHP)!

But the numbers do not work out so I am probably suffering from verbal diaorrea

Absolutely NO HELP! But nice too know.

Dunk

0 0 0

4. Re: Why no TDI 143 in Manual 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You could also ask why you can not have the 170 quattro with auto box, but they offer it with the Q5?
    A4 Allroad heated, powered seats in Alcantara with leather armrests, metallic paint, privacy glass, high beam assist, xenon & adaptive lights, sound pack with tech pack high and phone prep low, tyre pressure monitor, power tailgate, keyless ignition, folding and dimming mirrors, lighting pack and parking advanced.

0 0 0

5. Re: Why no TDI 143 in Manual 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Audi Nick,

I'd love to know why as I would have bought the auto quattro.

Bratty,

a lot of manufacturers quote PS now, think of it as the metric equivalent of BHP. Akin to yards being slightly bigger than metres.

it shouldn't be too complicated as long as you are comparing like with like - ie 120 PS vs 136 PS vs 143 PS but not 120 PS vs 138.08 BHP vs 143 PS

to be honest I think it is all about the other figures after all a car nowadays with 136 PS will be far more economical and faster than the equivalent powered and sized car from 20 yrs ago
    MY2011 (Apr), A4 B8 Avant, 2.0 TDI 170 quattro technik in Brilliant Red. Full leather, DAB, Lighting pack, 3g MMI HDD Sat Nav, Parking Plus, AMI, Boot liner.

0 0 0

6. Re: Why no TDI 143 in Manual 
    Bratty Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by John140 View Post
    Silly question, why is the TDI 143 now only available in Auitomatic whereas the manual has 136 BHP ?

I have a TDI 143 manual but I was assuming they de-tuned the 143 to put more of a marketing gap between the TDI 170, now the TDI 120 has gone.
    Audi UK have chosen NOT! to make the 143 Manual available (it IS available from Audi.DE), the 136 is specifically targeting LOW EMISSION (115g) and an Auto box would make it more difficult for the target too be achieved, Also the 120 is Also still available from Audi.de.

Audi UK "Marketing" pick and choose there own Model (and Options!) that they make available!

Dunk

0 0 0

7. Re: Why no TDI 143 in Manual 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    2018 Amarok V6

0 0 0

8. Re: Why no TDI 143 in Manual 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I notice they do a 177 tdi multitronic in the new A5 as well
    2018 Amarok V6

0 0 0

9. Re: Why no TDI 143 in Manual 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    All I will say is marketing, marketing, marketing.

Squeeze a bit more out of the customer and TBH I am exactly the same.

All manufacturers are the same. VW with wife's ED30 is the same. De-tune an S3 lump to the GTI clan with easy 300 bhp tune and they will buy and it and it will hold money like gold.

Love my 143 multi, it's cheap to run and 'M' with paddle shift is quicker than DSG....but I would add that after a very quick golf it is like driving in treacle.

Would I have another if changing know??????? Yes every time onerous manual.

Ta
    Pitch
    HIS - XC90 D5 R Design (sorry, had to be done)
    TOY - 2001 Westfield 2.1 SEW,172bhp SOLD TO MY BROTHER, I needed a PANERAI.
    HERS - 'R' New 7spd DSG and 310 rampant ones. 4.2 off the mark will do nicely

0 0 0

10. Re: Why no TDI 143 in Manual 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i reckon the steering wheel paddles are the key to pressing on in a multi-tronic. I cant get the +/- on the gear selector as they are around the wrong way so every gearshift requires too much thought
    2018 Amarok V6

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast