1. Recommended tyres for B8 Avant 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I bought my 2009 Avant 2.0 TDI S-Line with 9k miles on the clock, it's now done 15k and needs a new set of tyres on the front - 245/40 R18's.

Does anyone have a recommendation on what to go for? Best all rounder is what I'm after - wet & dry drip, wear, road noise etc.

There's one ZR rated Continental ContiSport Contact 3 and one 93Y Bridgestone Polenza RE050A on the front (presumably the Bridgestones were OEM fitted, the rear pair are the same). Not particularly impressed with the wear on these to be honest, I'd hoped for a bit more. My driving is probably 70% motorway, 15% urban, 15% A-roads.

Best price I've seen for the Bridgestones is about £180 fitted on etyres, I was hoping to spend less than that, £140-150 really.

0 0 0

2. Re: Anyone ever used part worn tyres? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    You'll be lucky getting anything other than midrange for £140.

I bought 17" Conti Sport Contact 3's for my 2.0 Avant SE recently, but paid £165 each. They are very well rated all round tyres but not sure what wear I will get out of them.

I replaced 2 Bridgestone RE050 which had covered 26k, mainly motor way miles just before they hit the wear indicator so still legal (just). Really aim to replace at about 3mm - 2.5mm normally.

Annoyingly, the 2 rear Bridgestone still have about 5mm tread depth (even after 28k miles) and I have a puncture in one, which cannot be fixed. Do I replace both, or should I buy a part worn tyre?

Cash is a bit tight at the moment, otherwise I would not have entertained replacing with a part worn.

Has anyone here ever had a good/bad experience with a part worn?

Thanks in advance,

D.

0 0 0

3. Re: Anyone ever used part worn tyres? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas are £158 fitted in your size from www.mytyres.co.uk. I have them fitted just now. Very impressed with them.
    2010 Focus ST-3

0 0 0

4. Re: Anyone ever used part worn tyres? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Mcr View Post
    You'll be lucky getting anything other than midrange for £140.

I bought 17" Conti Sport Contact 3's for my 2.0 Avant SE recently, but paid £165 each. They are very well rated all round tyres but not sure what wear I will get out of them.

I replaced 2 Bridgestone RE050 which had covered 26k, mainly motor way miles just before they hit the wear indicator so still legal (just). Really aim to replace at about 3mm - 2.5mm normally.

Annoyingly, the 2 rear Bridgestone still have about 5mm tread depth (even after 28k miles) and I have a puncture in one, which cannot be fixed. Do I replace both, or should I buy a part worn tyre?

Cash is a bit tight at the moment, otherwise I would not have entertained replacing with a part worn.

Has anyone here ever had a good/bad experience with a part worn?

Thanks in advance,

D.
    I've opted for a full set of Avon ZZ5 XL's - bought from Tyre Shopper via Quidco - Tyre Shopper have a 10% off 4 Avon tyres or more deal, buying via Quidco gets a further 5% off 4 tyres and 2% cashback on the pre-VAT total. The end result is about £133 / tyre fitted at National Tyres.

The ZZ5's are a new tyre available from the end of March. They'll be fitted this week so I'll post back on first impressions.

No experience of part worns I'm afraid....

0 0 0

5. Re: Anyone ever used part worn tyres? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SC03OTT View Post
    Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas are £158 fitted in your size from www.mytyres.co.uk. I have them fitted just now. Very impressed with them.
    Also back the Vredestein.Mine are superb excellent wet grip etc. I would be amazed if you can tell the difference between these and Conti/Michelin etc
    3.00tdi SE exec pack auto rear parking sensors DAB folding mirrors

0 0 0

6. Re: Anyone ever used part worn tyres? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robtt09 View Post
    Also back the Vredestein.Mine are superb excellent wet grip etc. I would be amazed if you can tell the difference between these and Conti/Michelin etc
    I might take a lok at the Vred's when I need to replace 2 tyres (Hopefully the part worn and original RE050A). I might put them on the front to help them on their way.

I don't drive fast, I just want to know that the car will stick to the roads with what the british weather can throw at us! I'm def. going to switch to winter tyres later this year.

0 0 0

7. Re: Recommended tyres for B8 Avant 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    There is an "all weather" Vred which might be just right for you then no need to have two sets of tyres. I had them on a previous car and never got stuck in the snow
    3.00tdi SE exec pack auto rear parking sensors DAB folding mirrors

0 0 0

8. Re: Recommended tyres for B8 Avant 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Company lease so I have pretty much no say in what tyres are fitted when replacements are due, its down to what is available at Kwik Fit (I have to go there) and the mood of the chap from the leasing company when they phone to ask!

However, my tyres are the same size as yours so here's what I've found.

Bridgestones - fitted as OEM, lasted 18k miles, dry grip good, wet OK, snow and ice - rubbish, really really poor!

Replaced with Dunlops which lasted 6k miles!!!!!!! Better snow and ice grip though but at a cost......................

I'm now on Contis which seem fine, no idea about wear yet - watch this space!
    A4 Avant Executive S line 2.0 Tdi (170PS), Quartz Grey, 18" 5 spoke alloys, 30mm drop, towbar, privacy glass, storage/lighting pack, DAB, folding mirrors, de-badged

0 0 0

9. Re: Recommended tyres for B8 Avant 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had my front tyres replaced earlier this year with Conti Contact 3's -http://www.blackcircles.com/. I got the garage to put them on the back. My Pirelli Cinturato P7 (shocking tyres for grip) have a few thousand miles left on them, but I can't work out which are giving me the road noise. I am now wondering whether to replace the tyres with P-Zeros
    (N) 2.6 V6 Audi Convertible Europa Blue
    (14) E350 AMG Sport Estate Obsidian Black
    Gone: (59) 2.0T A4 S-Line Avant (B8) Lava Grey
    (02) 1.8T A4 sport saloon (B6) Denim Blue

0 0 0

10. Re: Recommended tyres for B8 Avant 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    just be thankful for the size you have, my Avant BE has 255/35/R19s with OEM PZero Rossos on been quoted 278 per corner!

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast