1. Rear light cluster removal 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Hey guys, I know sumthin similar may have been posted before, but can't find what I'm looking for and thought perhaps you might help?

As some of you may know, may have experienced yourselves, I suffer from the rear light cluster and condensation.....( this is my 6th set approx, all under warranty )

Lets face it Audi just haven't resolved this problem, period!

Ok.....so I opened the boot and removed the side panel, then proceeded to remove the plasticnut affair. It has a slot for a plain screwdriver as supplied in the tool kit.
    Then levered off the light from the front piece of the light assy to loosen them from their nipples.......so far all good.

Now of course they have the plastic piece attached on the inner side of the boot area, but I cannot seem to bufge them without fear of damaging something. They just still seem attached somewhere and I'm loathe to pull harder for fear of breaking the light assy.

I'd really like to get them removed, dried out and possibly run a line of silicone along the edges to see if that helps solve the problem...can't hurt anyway!

If anyone knows about this, or there is a wrte up c/w pics, or someone would like to do one, I'd be grateful

Thanks in advance guys

MY2008 (58) XJ X358 2.7 Tdvi Sovereign
    LWB remapped to 245bhp, Black, Ivory leather interior with black piping, 20" Alloys
    MY2007 Audi A6 2.0 Tdi SE (BRE)
    176bhpStratos Blue.Front & Rear park assist,Comms Pack High,19" RS4 alloys,Rear tints,Dipped bulbs 80W,Mainbeams & Foglights 100W,Number plate LED's,Interior LED's

0 0 0

2. Re: Rear light cluster removal 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Hi Mate

This is a bitch of a problem - I went through the exact same issues as taking my light off to replace it. I ended up wasting 3 hours trying to fathom out where the other fixing was hiding. There is no other fixing in there believe it or not even though it feels like there is.

Take of the plastic fixing as you did. This loosens the light assembly. Now you need nerves and some padding to do the next bit. Get a screwdriver and I used some card. Place the card between the plastic light and the metal of the car body, edge the screwdriver in and leaver it out slowly. The lamp has an appendage that sticks into a receptacle inside the car to secure it so you need to leaver this out. It does come out eventually but you need to be carefull that you dont mark your paint work as it can be so easy to do that.

I bought a new lamp assembly from ebay fitted it and then had an a..se run into me and crack the new one. If only Id had waited id have saved myself money ! It is easy to do the job but it does make you feel really uneasy doing it ! Best way to describe it is that think on a headphone jack you plug that into a socket and it stays, thats exactly how I would describe how the fixing works. and if its been stuck in there then it will take a little effort to pull the assembly free from the car. Oh and my new assembly has condensation issues aswell.

2014 Andi 3.0 V6 TDi S-Line Quattro
    Full LeatherIHeated SeatsIElectric SeatsISunroofIMatt Brushed Aluminium InlaysIBi-Xenon HeadlightsIRear Park AssistIBluetooth

0 0 0

3. Re: Rear light cluster removal 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ruggedscot View Post
    Hi Mate

This is a bitch of a problem - I went through the exact same issues as taking my light off to replace it. I ended up wasting 3 hours trying to fathom out where the other fixing was hiding. There is no other fixing in there believe it or not even though it feels like there is.

Take of the plastic fixing as you did. This loosens the light assembly. Now you need nerves and some padding to do the next bit. Get a screwdriver and I used some card. Place the card between the plastic light and the metal of the car body, edge the screwdriver in and leaver it out slowly. The lamp has an appendage that sticks into a receptacle inside the car to secure it so you need to leaver this out. It does come out eventually but you need to be carefull that you dont mark your paint work as it can be so easy to do that.

I bought a new lamp assembly from ebay fitted it and then had an a..se run into me and crack the new one. If only Id had waited id have saved myself money ! It is easy to do the job but it does make you feel really uneasy doing it ! Best way to describe it is that think on a headphone jack you plug that into a socket and it stays, thats exactly how I would describe how the fixing works. and if its been stuck in there then it will take a little effort to pull the assembly free from the car. Oh and my new assembly has condensation issues aswell.

Hi Rugged.....please see in bold your reply
    This is the part I tried to explain.....I know about this and did that part, so, assume that those male / female connectors have been loosened AND the plastic threaded nut has also been removed, so far all good?

The assy still seems stuck connected somehow?
    The only thing I can imagine is that at the side of the lights ( inner side near the water drain channel there are black plastic covers....presumably to try and stop water ingress in some way and they may need to be removed?

I'll try and post up some pics when I can

Thanks
    Jim

LWB remapped to 245bhp, Black, Ivory leather interior with black piping, 20" Alloys
    176bhpStratos Blue.Front & Rear park assist,Comms Pack High,19" RS4 alloys,Rear tints,Dipped bulbs 80W,Mainbeams & Foglights 100W,Number plate LED's,Interior LED's

0 0 0

4. Re: Rear light cluster removal 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    PM me your email address and I'll send you the Audi drawings of how to remove the light fitting. Regards Peter

1 0 0

5. Re: Rear light cluster removal 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Jim - let me know how you fare with the drawings - I did this a bit back and do remember struggling with the plastic - these are easily damaged - the instructions should help you.

Full LeatherIHeated SeatsIElectric SeatsISunroofIMatt Brushed Aluminium InlaysIBi-Xenon HeadlightsIRear Park AssistIBluetooth

0 0 0

6. Re: Rear light cluster removal 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Peter D - Many thanks for your kind offer on this forum AGAIN
    You have helped me before Peter, and many many other members as I have seen in lots of different posts across the site.
    Kudos to you for all the great work you do here, much appreciated
    Pm sent

Ruggedscot - I'll keep you informed and let you know how it goes

0 0 0

7. Re: Rear light cluster removal 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)
    Hi Jim,

If they are the same fitting as Mrs F's old A3, then each light unit has a small sperical 'nodule' attached to the back of it, up towards the leading edge of the light. This fitment engages into a corresponding hole in the car body, and is quite a tight fit. Once the nut holding the light unit has been removed, it's just a case of wiggling the light backwards and outwards gently, until the fitting pops free, or as ruggedscot suggests, you can try gently levering with something that will not mark the paintwork.

Good luck!

MF.
    Gone: 2016 A6 Saloon BE Ultra S tronic - Floret Silver, Tech Pack Advanced, Parking Pack Advanced, Heated F+R Seats & Wheel, Electric Seats, Matrix LED, Ambient Lighting, Speed Limit Display, Twin Spoke 20", Folding Memory Mirrors
    Now: E 53 AMG 4MATIC
    / Q5 2.0TFSi Prestige

0 0 0

8. Re: Rear light cluster removal 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    thanks MF....I may not have explained myself propery in previous posts.
    I know about the male / female connector or nipple type arrangement on the car lights which correcpond to the body and have levered the light free from these, thats not the problem!

On the side of the lights ( inner side which sits in the water drain channel ) there are black plastic covers and its perhaps these that still seem to hold the lights in place somehow?
    Anyways - Peter D has sent me a tech drawing on how to remove the lights which show these and they do have to be removed, so we'll see.

Thanks anyway for the reply, much appreciated
    Last edited by JimC64; 17-02-2011 at 01:20 AM.

0 0 0

9. Re: Rear light cluster removal 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Hope it goes well went well.....

Gav

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)
    Oh, and don't get tempted into using a sledgehammer. It can only end in tears!

Snet form my fumblefingers
    iPhon 5 usig Tapatalk
    Gone: 2016 A6 Saloon BE Ultra S tronic - Floret Silver, Tech Pack Advanced, Parking Pack Advanced, Heated F+R Seats & Wheel, Electric Seats, Matrix LED, Ambient Lighting, Speed Limit Display, Twin Spoke 20", Folding Memory Mirrors
    Now: E 53 AMG 4MATIC
    / Q5 2.0TFSi Prestige

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast