Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Good morning all,
    I want to be able to perform some fault finding and diagnostics on my 2000 A6 2.4 Quattro - especially electrics.
    I already own a Bluetooth obdII scanner which I have used on other cars with the Android Torque software.
    Reading through threads here, there is a lot of talk about vagcom. Is that a software solution, hardware solution or both?
    If software, does it work with any Bluetooth scanner or does it need specific hardware?
    Also, I have seen 2nd hand ones for sale for around 50-70 euro. The versions vary - which version do I need for my car?

Thanks in advance,

Mile

0 0 0

2. Re: Confused over Diagnostics options 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I use a VAG 405 to read any codes on my A6 and to reset service reminder.
    A6 3.0ltr v6.
    SE Quattro.

0 0 0

3. Re: Confused over Diagnostics options 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vag.com is by rosstech. it is now called VCDS. it has many features however alot of these features are for advanced users. If you google ross tech, they have a pdf that goes through some of its features. Be aware that only support for genuine cables if given by rosstech, and if you do come by a copy or clone cable use do so at your own risk, and refrain form asking about help on here as it is against the ruels.

0 0 0

4. Re: Confused over Diagnostics options 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    as said, vagcom/vcds is made by ross tech.

As for which version you need: which car do you have? Edit: I just re-read your OP, and noticed you've already told us. Your 2000 Audi uses K Line (KKL) so you can use a cheaper "dumb cable" and vcds lite.

If you have a canbus car, then you need a full version of vcds, which will cost around £265. If you car is pre-canbus (about 2004 I think), then you can use VCDS Lite, which will cost you about £20 for a cable, then the software is shareware (free for a basic fault code read, $99 to register for full functionality)

For the basic cable, you can probably use a generic obdii cable, or buy a guaranteed working one from gendam. For the canbus version, you need to buy a genuine one, as it contains the hardware key to allow the software to work. Both are available from Gendan.
    Last edited by NickPicks; 18-10-2011 at 09:33 AM. Reason: need to read OP properly
    Duct tape is like The Force. It has a Light Side and a Dark Side and it holds the universe together.
    2002 Passat 1.9tdi
    2004 A3 2.0 FSI
    Gone: 1997 Golf GTI ; 1989 Coupe; 2000 A6 Avant 2.4; 2000 A3 1.8

0 0 0

5. Re: Confused over Diagnostics options 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    How about something compatible to guys (like myself) who can fix things- if they know what to fix- but dont have the time or inclination to get familiar with or to understand obd ben kanobi or other pc terms ?.
    Just something to plug in and get faults would be ok. Nothing advanced at all.
    I have one of those hand held vw things off ebay- but its crap. ( cant connect or something like that comes to mind)
    Is there a dumbar$$es guide to using a lead and laptop to define faults available ?

0 0 0

6. Re: Confused over Diagnostics options 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    If your limited in diagnostics then obd2 will read protocols on drive train for all models 2002 ish onwards but again it depends on your intention as a forum fiddler or approved automotive diagnostic technician

vcds is powerful but only if you know how to use it and if as most members you just wont to read codes or **** about with things then vcds lite should meet your requirements

expensive can systems don't like it up em lol
    vag diagnostics, retrofits and general repairs

0 0 0

7. Re: Confused over Diagnostics options 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by a8 tech View Post
    If your limited in diagnostics then obd2 will read protocols on drive train for all models 2002 ish onwards but again it depends on your intention as a forum fiddler or approved automotive diagnostic technician

vcds is powerful but only if you know how to use it and if as most members you just wont to read codes or **** about with things then vcds lite should meet your requirements

expensive can systems don't like it up em lol
    Last thing I want to do is- mess about with normal systems and get all lights flashing and windows going up and down everytime i click the alarm/entry button.
    Protocols? canbus ?, drive trains (is that a cat stevens song ? ).
    when (as it usually does every so often) somethings goes T!Ts up with my audi- I just wanna know whats causing it .
    If I can fix it I will- If it's a bit beyond my capabilities'/risk level !!-or I have not got the tools/nerve/knowledge to fix it- --then at least I will know what the problem is before some unknown to me' 'chancer'- takes a deep inward breath and says - ' it's gonna cost lots'.
    I knowI have a socket near to my right knee- and things plug into it.

Anyway- good to see you back on here A8. Rumour has it- you used to be a legend on here- but- all of a sudden you vanished !!

1 0 0

8. Re: Confused over Diagnostics options 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    lol legend, more like leg end

anyway try this http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds-lite/download/index.html but to be honest you need the full vcds and for £260 its a bargain as my stuff costs thousands

still pop in every now and then
    vag diagnostics, retrofits and general repairs

0 0 0

9. Re: Confused over Diagnostics options 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by a8 tech View Post
    lol legend, more like leg end

anyway try this http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds-lite/download/index.html but to be honest you need the full vcds and for £260 its a bargain as my stuff costs thousands

still pop in every now and then
    Dont put yourself down .
    Takes lots of time and patience to learn about certain vehicles.
    Next thing you know- you willbe learning how to service a Vulcan !!

If Cruncher can do it- I'm sure you can !!

1 0 0