Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi All,

I have a fault, and I thought I'd fixed it. Actually i did for a month. It's not the throttle body type flap its the little inlet turbulance flaps on each bank of cylinders. 3.0TDI BKN by the way.

Anyway it's faulty again but the cause appears to be slightly different. 1st time I found the plastic gear inside the motor unit broken. So I bought a spare motor but Audi changed the plugs (Amongst other things), so i had to swap the plastic gear wheel. Bingo. working for a month but now it's stopped again. This time the motor is energized and you can watch it during startup, moves to closed position then moves back to open and throws a code. The other bank moves to closed and stays there till you blip the throttle.

SO. I have decide to either ditch it by disconnecting both (leaving the runner flaps in open position (max air)- as per BMW drivers) but I'd like to fool the motor into thinking it's still there. How can I do that?? Any ideas.
    OR
    if I could get a known good motor somewhere (but not Audi) I'd give it another go. Are there any aftermarket parts or can you buy from Bosch?? Or is it Siemens...

The little magnet inside that gives the motor position is weak as hell.. It's also beside the turbo so gets hot.. And magnets don't like hot. The plug is also cracked but i can deal with that OK. The non compatible one I have bought has a very strong magnet. hmmm

Fault code below, all advice grately appreciated.

regards
    WJAM

004120 - Intake Manifold Runner (Bank 2): Lower limit not reached
    P1018 - 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded - Intermittent
    Freeze Frame:
    Fault Status: 00100001
    Fault Priority: 0
    Fault Frequency: 1
    Mileage: 144397 km
    Time Indication: 0

Freeze Frame:
    RPM: 714 /min
    Torque: 85.8 Nm
    Speed: 0.0 km/h
    Voltage: 14.06 V
    Duty Cycle: 80.9 %
    Duty Cycle: 88.8 %
    Duty Cycle: 80.9 %

0 0 0

2. Re: 004120 - Intake Manifold Runner (Bank 2): Lower limit not reached 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I found them!

http://www.vdo.com/generator/www/com...ostics_en.html

Online catalogue

http://webshop-cs.tecdoc.net/vdo/ind...B&language=en#

also do throttle bodies etc.. Have asked for a quote

cheers

WJAM

0 0 0

3. Re: 004120 - Intake Manifold Runner (Bank 2): Lower limit not reached 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi wjam, i have a very similar problem to yours, though on bank 1, asb engine 3.0 litre v6, i have since noticed the fault frequency being 254, this is the maximum number my vcds counts to.

Anyway, this fault i think as been there since i purchased it second hand, so i think during my search on this forum the problem is not as terminal as one would first think, leading me to believe a fix is not a do or die decision. Please post if other forum members feel different.

The fix for this problem is a new motor, and as audi suggest a new manifold, (|they don,t seem to be able to say why a new manifold is needed other than its easier to complete the job, less hours labour i suppose.

The cost of the job at my local audi is in excess of £800, joke or what.

Well i,m not repairing in the near future, but like yourself would like to find a way of disabling this flap, without it showing a fault on vcds. looked everywhere for an alternative, your research makes the chance of that maybe more likely.

Thanks for the info.

john
    2007 A4 saloon 3.0Tdi Tdv QUATTRO.
    Phantom black - Xenons, Bose, Heated Valcona, Cruise, Colour DIS, Satnav, front and rear sensors.
    Hex-USB+CAN VCDS, with a lot to learn.

0 0 0

4. Re: 004120 - Intake Manifold Runner (Bank 2): Lower limit not reached 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi I think needing to change the manifold is a b0llox (unless the shaft that hold the flaps breaks...) The motor takes the best part of 5 minutes to change. Perhaps there is an adaption that my be required in VCDS but I don't know if that's true or how to (yet)

If you just disconnect both motors, the flaps stay fully open at all times and the car will run like a dream (or at least you won't notice the miniscule performance change at low revs)

BMW people are removing the flaps cos the actual flaps are held in with flimsy pop rivet style things that have been known to fall off... into the engine and tru the turbo and out the back causing a ton of expensive damage. I believe the Audi flaps don't drop off, but if I find any evidence they might drop off they are going straight in the bin.

So once I find out the motor cost I'll let you know. You can get them on e-bay.de but it's hard to find them unless you are fluent in German. Beware the different models of motor too.. some 4 pin, some 5 pin, not interchangeable.

I will start trawling the BMW sites to see if they managed to fool the car into not throwing a code.

cheers

WJAM

0 0 0

5. Re: 004120 - Intake Manifold Runner (Bank 2): Lower limit not reached 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks wjam,

i had the car into my local indys, my bank 1 motor now doesn,t work at all, although no problems with the car, the emissions are still ok, no lights on the dash, pretty much everything spot on.

I have noticed on my engine 2007 v6 asb code that the two motors differ, bank 1 slightly different to bank 2, not checked wheather 4 pin or 5,
    Hope you sought your problem, i will check your replies, thanks.

john
    Phantom black - Xenons, Bose, Heated Valcona, Cruise, Colour DIS, Satnav, front and rear sensors.

0 0 0

6. Re: 004120 - Intake Manifold Runner (Bank 2): Lower limit not reached 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi

One is mounted upside down (relative to the other) but normally they are the same. if they are not maybe 1 was changed before.

I have a fault light on the dash, but it's because it can't find it's reference point so it opens fully (which it seems is a little past normal range). Perhaps it's just an adaption...

Anyway more to follow

WJAM

0 0 0

7. Re: 004120 - Intake Manifold Runner (Bank 2): Lower limit not reached 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yes thanks again wjam, it was the indy who said they were a different design, thinking about your reply they could be the same, i,ll check mine when i have my service in febuary,

I,m lucky i,ve got a vcds and can check no other problems are resulting because of that fault, but strangely no light on the dash, and readiness showing all 0,s.

thanks again john

0 0 0

8. Re: 004120 - Intake Manifold Runner (Bank 2): Lower limit not reached 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well if it finds the initial positions it probably won't show on the dash.

I just cleared my codes (I also use VCDS) and re-started and it worked... Continued working until the engine was stopped.

On restart it failed. You can watch it hunting for what I assume is either limit at start up. But it seems that it fails to find the closed limit sometimes and defaults to open (so that the car works more or less normally)

This is why I think there might be an adaptation to learn the values.

It's actually a magnet on the end of the motor shaft with a sensor below it... Subsequently it has been changed to a magnet on one of the gear wheels, but in essence the same idea.

OR could be wiring. but when it works it keeps working as long as the car is running so I suspect less likely on the wiring.

Some of the guys here must know about Intake Manifold Runner adaptation????

cheers

WJAM

0 0 0

9. Re: 004120 - Intake Manifold Runner (Bank 2): Lower limit not reached 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    And more:

I found in the manual that the % error is indicative of the problem type.

If 8% is logged it indicates an electrical component error.

If 12% is logged = feedback error from "e-regulator" or the motor for normal people.

These 2 need a motor replacement

if 88% is logged = adjustment range problem which is checked during startup!!

AH HA! I was right ( my 24 years with industrial equipment did not go to waste )

Furthermore it says it could be free play in the actuator rod (no.. mine is pretty good no slop)

Or stiffness of the adjuster.. err depends how stiff is considered too stiff, but I WD40'd it and it worked.. 3 times in a row!! So I did the other side for good measure.

And it also says to check wiring.

So to me that sounds like on the check at start up, if it draws to much current (because of stiffness) it might well throw the same code. Or it just didn't quite make the position.. Maybe only by a fraction..

Anyway, check what the percentage says and that will give you a good indication

cheers

WJAM

0 0 0

10. Re: 004120 - Intake Manifold Runner (Bank 2): Lower limit not reached 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I,m sorry wjam but i,m not that far advanced with vcds yet, not really sure how to get the values on my pc.
    Alot of members sing the praises of the vcds, but theres very little info on the vcd section and postings can somtimes be counted on one hand over a 3 day period.

So i will when the time allows learn as much as i can, hoping that someone may just post that little bit of info you may need.

To be fair your op and replies have been spot on, and i,ve learnt just that little bit more about my car, thankyou kindly.

john

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast