Notices

User Tag List

Thread: What should I look for when buying a MK5?

1. Question What should I look for when buying a MK5? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello,

I looking to buy a MK5 Golf Match 1.6 FSI or 1.9 TDi or if I can find a one for my budget (about £10000) a GT 2.0 TDi. What should I look out for? I have read about problems with the timing belt on the 1.6 FSI. Are they prone to problems?

Generally have reliable are Golf's? The other half wants me to get another Honda Civic so I need some help.

Thanks for the help.

0 0 0

2. Thumbs up Re: What should I look for when buying a MK5? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've seen plenty of gt's on the Internet, 140's and 170's most under £10,000.
    I'm a new owner so wouldn't know the answer to your question but one of the reasons I bought a golf is because of there reliability.

Good luck
    2013(63) A3 Sportback. 2.0 tdi. 150. Ice Silver. Rear parking. Cruise.

0 0 0

3. Re: What should I look for when buying a MK5? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi mate both me and my OH have mk5 1.9TDI's mines an 04 with 127,000 and hers is a 57 with 41,000 on the clock, like most pd vag cars they CAN suffer from turbos carboning up, but TBH between our 2 we have covered 40,000 miles and we have been fine, for the money you have to spend you should be able to get a 08 with less than 30,000 on the clock, if i knew in march what i know now both mine and my OH's would be the 140 rather than the 105, now they also suffer from dual mass flywheels but as with the turbo for the money you have to spend you can get a very good low mileage one so there for you can look after it

i thing i will say is having owned 2 i would recommend the mk5 they are amazing

VCDS HEX+CAN CODE READING AND RECODES

OWN A MK5 GOLF TDI JOIN THE GROUP https://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/group.php?groupid=23
    2004 mk5, Viezu 140bhp Re-map, GTI front bumper, side skirts, GTI 18in rep wheels, Jamex coilovers, R32 speedo cluster, MFSW, White Roose Motorsport coolant hose's, GTTDI interior, centre consol armrest and ipod dock, leather handbrake lever

0 0 0

4. Re: What should I look for when buying a MK5? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If you want my honest answer I would go for the Civic. Vw where reliable , in fact their reputation was built on it, alas that all seems in the past. Flywheel failure, gearboxes with low milage failing, Coils packing up, locks..VW have never made a decent lock, windows falling into doors. Windscreen wiper assemblies seazing because VW didn't think to put seals on the shafts so they rust. The last one you would think would be basic engineering. If they cut corners there where else do they cut corners. Just look on this forum and it will tell you what to look for......Everything. They are no longer the reliable cars VW would like you to believe, they always perform mid table in reliability surveys and all this for a premium price.

0 0 0

5. Re: What should I look for when buying a MK5? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave B View Post
    Just look on this forum and it will tell you what to look for......Everything.
    all this for a premium price.
    Same as any make tho, forums will always be full of people with faults, yes everything you listed can give problems but there is a very strong chance non of them will happen, plus by buying a low mileage one you stand a better chance and can look after it how you see fit

premium price yes but then when you come to sell it, it will still sell for a premium, TBH there are loads on the road so they cant really be that bad, i love mine and would buy another without a second thought, but then i hate jap stuff, the cost of spares is stupidly high

OWN A MK5 GOLF TDI JOIN THE GROUP https://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/group.php?groupid=23
    2004 mk5, Viezu 140bhp Re-map, GTI front bumper, side skirts, GTI 18in rep wheels, Jamex coilovers, R32 speedo cluster, MFSW, White Roose Motorsport coolant hose's, GTTDI interior, centre consol armrest and ipod dock, leather handbrake lever

0 0 0

6. Re: What should I look for when buying a MK5? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phil miller View Post
    Same as any make tho, forums will always be full of people with faults, yes everything you listed can give problems but there is a very strong chance non of them will happen, plus by buying a low mileage one you stand a better chance and can look after it how you see fit

premium price yes but then when you come to sell it, it will still sell for a premium, TBH there are loads on the road so they cant really be that bad, i love mine and would buy another without a second thought, but then i hate jap stuff, the cost of spares is stupidly high
    I.ve had 2 new golfs and both have suffered major faults. First one lock s failed lost count of number of sensors changed tyres wore funny, battery failed after 18months distributer failed after 9000 miles, dealership Wigan motors where complete crap. They even managed to damage it. Decided to cut losses the second one has the usual lock failures and 2 steering columns by 12000 miles. If only everything in life was as reliable as a Vw. Mate has an Audi TT 3,2 quatro DSG gear box has just failed replacement cost £5000

0 0 0

7. Re: What should I look for when buying a MK5? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    well i speak as i find, mine nor my others has given any major headaches, and TBH apart from the odd turbo and DMF issue vw/vag are one of the better makes i see in work day in day out, one things for sure the lock issues you had should have been FOC so its not really your headache as its a warranty job

over the last 18 yrs (since i left school) ive seen the motor trade change, jap stuff did (and some still do) rust away infront of your very eyes, plus the part are silly money, Ford they have gone from rusty metal to ECU problems with the smart charge system, Vauxhall (which i have a love affair with) cant make a good engine unless its got VXR in 10 ft letters everywhere, VAG still make very good cars, they are easy to work on and the parts are as cheap as anyother mainstream dealer

maybe its just me, there isnt a job i would worry about on my golf, prob be different if i had to pay for it, but i think VAG are one of the better makes around for normal people

0 0 0