1. cold feet! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi folks I am new to the site...I have bought an 06 Sharan auto which I am very pleased with but it takes a long time to warm up, I guess it is the thermostat...what do you think...is it an easy job. thanks.

0 0 0

2. Re: cold feet! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have found the thread re thermostats, I wonder if anyone from VW reads these forums...

0 0 0

3. Re: cold feet! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi quinnell, I have a 2004 touran tdi with same problem. Takes 1 hour to reach 90deg. Replaced the stat and bleed the system and still the same. once temp is reached heater is v good. Just takes so long for temp to come up. Did you get yours sorted.

0 0 0

4. Re: cold feet! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    but it takes a long time to warm up,

That's how they are I'm afraid. Does yours have an auxiliary heater that burns diesel to warm up the cooling water? I just bought a 2-litre petrol Sharan - I already have a 1.9 diesel - and the petrol one heats up amazing fast, but uses twice as much fuel :-)

I can now choose whether to be broke or frozen...

0 0 0

5. Re: cold feet! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i've got the same with my tdi at the mo, current air temp's don't help.
    if i keep the cabin heaters off it still takes a long time for the engine temp gauge to reach 90 deg' , turn on the heaters then water temp drops like a stone to 70 deg' or less.
    with the heaters on from the start the needle barely moves at all.
    air temps register as -6 to - 9.5 & i think/hope this is the problem
    VW golf mk3 1.9DL estate & it is a state

its falling apart faster than i can fix it, an mot pass will be a bloody surprise

0 0 0

6. Re: cold feet! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I did not get mine sorted, I just put up with it.

I have since found out that the wifes 56 reg diesel Focus takes just as long to warm up.

0 0 0

7. Re: cold feet! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Got some info from a vw man. He said if the auxi heater packs up or actually disconnected due to a fault (blowing black smoke ) this is one cause for the slow warm up, aparently with the auxi heater actually heats the cooling system and when its stuffed the engine will only slowly heat the cooling system to 40 deg c. Also he said some models have electrical cooling system heaters like glow plugs or domestic emmerision heaters. I will check this out and pass on info. Any one any infor on how to check the auxi heater whilst it is in still installed in the car ?. I read somewhere that it is completly automatic any starts and stops on its own depending on ambient air temp !.

0 0 0

8. Re: cold feet! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    quite afew diesels have glow plug type things in the coolant system to heat the coolant, most diesels do take a while to get up to temp, i find with mine if i drive in 4 with revs around 2000 rpm the temp gauge will move up but if i use 5 and the revs are about 1400 and i have the blower motor going the temp gauge will move down, gets on my **** when im trying to warm my feet after 9 hrs in a -5 workshop all day, ive changed the stat on mine its a little better

VCDS HEX+CAN CODE READING AND RECODES

OWN A MK5 GOLF TDI JOIN THE GROUP https://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/group.php?groupid=23
    2004 mk5, Viezu 140bhp Re-map, GTI front bumper, side skirts, GTI 18in rep wheels, Jamex coilovers, R32 speedo cluster, MFSW, White Roose Motorsport coolant hose's, GTTDI interior, centre consol armrest and ipod dock, leather handbrake lever

0 0 0

9. Re: cold feet! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    As far as I know there is nothing you can do to these auxiliary heaters apart from checking that the air intake is clear.
    On mine I have just realised that the floor liner in my rear space has been stopping the warm air blow

0 0 0

10. Re: cold feet! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi All,

Had the same problem with my 2002 TDi Sharan and it was cold for ages and the temp needle actually dropped when the heater was on.

Traced the fault to the AUX heater few weeks ago, removed and replaced the perished gaskets, tested the glow plug and it was working, put it all back together and WOW...

The cabin will heat up within 15 - 20min.

Just as a matter of course I also flushed the cooling system and replaced the stat and antifreeze with G30 pink.

You need to check your aux heaters before the car will heatup quick, VAG-COM will show up any faults with the AUX heater, but if the AUX heater is working you will certainly hear it.

Hope this helps

0 0 0