Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Morning all,

I had to get one of the headlights in my 06 2.0 TDI Passat changed a few months back (long story - short version is someone decided to jam on in front of me for no reason and I tried to go around them and ALMOST made it!).

Anyway, the bodyshop that did the work called me a few days later to tell me that the aftermarket H7 HID kit I'd installed wouldn't fit the replacement headlights they'd ordered for the car - something about the original headlight units (which the kit had fitted perfectly!) being replaced by a newer one which had different fittings.

This then meant that I now had a car with 2 different types of headlight units, so I insisted they swap the other (non-damaged) headlight to match which, after a bit of back n forth they eventually agreed to.

Or did they...

Yesterday I discovered that the nearside/passenger side headlight (the one that was damaged) has some sort of round plastic bracket that the bulb sits into and which then screws/clips onto the back of the headlight.

The driver's side headlight has a fitting where the bulb just clips in directly (no bracket). Both headlight units are marked as Valeo.

The problem is that the HID kit will fit into the passenger side perfectly, but doesn't sit securely in the other side.

Before I go causing war, would anyone know the part numbers of the passenger side headlight unit I'm describing as it DOES seem to be a better system for aligning and holding the bulb in place.

What I'll be wanting is them to change the driver's side headlight for the same type as they installed in the other. As I'd said orginally (and regardless of the HID kit) I don't want two different fittings on the headlight units anyway.

Any help appreciated... cheers!

0 0 0

2. Re: Valeo Headlights Question/Problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My 06 car had different headlight units to my new 09 car. The HID bulbs were held in place in the older car with metal clips. The new car had holders that look like this.

I was able to swap my kit to the new car, but with these different holders and slightly different design of the headlight, I decided to remove the light cluster itself.

To fit the HID bulb into this one, I had to cut through the top of the holder so I could slide the wires into the middle of them. I also had to mill the middle of the holder out a little so that the bulb would fit. Once that was done, it was very easy to fit back in and much easier to do then the old metal clip.

1 0 0

3. Re: Valeo Headlights Question/Problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yep that's exactly the same thing as is in the new headlight that was installed.
    The other side still has just the metal clips, so by the looks of it they definitely didn't replace both headlights as was agreed/they were were supposed to

Cheers for the pic too.. I'm heading up to them this morning to get it sorted.
    I don't suppose you happen to have a note of the part number of these newer headlight units?

Thanks again.. this will help a lot

0 0 0

4. Re: Valeo Headlights Question/Problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Haven't the car at work with me. When I get home I'll check part numbers of both right and left lamp.

Is there visual difference? I think there was extra lines down the lense across the sidelights.

0 0 0

5. Re: Valeo Headlights Question/Problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Got it sorted in the end, but it took a bit of "persistence" on my part..

First they came out with a Hella light with yet a third fitting type and tried to tell me that it was identical to what was in the car - despite the fittings being PHYSICALLY DIFFERENT He then tried to tell me that the bulb holder (same as the one you showed above) was "part of my HID kit" - not the headlight unit itself.

So I pulled up this thread on my phone, showed him the pic, and refused to accept the part telling him he was paid to change BOTH headlight units to identical versions and that's what I wanted. "Miraculously" then his supplier "found" the match to the one that had been installed by them originally, so now both headlights ARE identical and the Xenon bulbs are fitted securely

Feckin chancers though.. Even though they were being paid by my insurance company to fix the car, they still tried pulling a fast one!

0 0 0

6. Re: Valeo Headlights Question/Problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by g-black View Post
    My 06 car had different headlight units to my new 09 car. The HID bulbs were held in place in the older car with metal clips. The new car had holders that look like this.

I was able to swap my kit to the new car, but with these different holders and slightly different design of the headlight, I decided to remove the light cluster itself.

To fit the HID bulb into this one, I had to cut through the top of the holder so I could slide the wires into the middle of them. I also had to mill the middle of the holder out a little so that the bulb would fit. Once that was done, it was very easy to fit back in and much easier to do then the old metal clip.
    Would you know where to find this part? I could use 2 so I can modify them and get everything ready prior to installing the HID kit.

0 0 0

7. Re: Valeo Headlights Question/Problem 
    vespa Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser2000 View Post
    Got it sorted in the end, but it took a bit of "persistence" on my part..

First they came out with a Hella light with yet a third fitting type and tried to tell me that it was identical to what was in the car - despite the fittings being PHYSICALLY DIFFERENT He then tried to tell me that the bulb holder (same as the one you showed above) was "part of my HID kit" - not the headlight unit itself.

So I pulled up this thread on my phone, showed him the pic, and refused to accept the part telling him he was paid to change BOTH headlight units to identical versions and that's what I wanted. "Miraculously" then his supplier "found" the match to the one that had been installed by them originally, so now both headlights ARE identical and the Xenon bulbs are fitted securely

Feckin chancers though.. Even though they were being paid by my insurance company to fix the car, they still tried pulling a fast one!
    I know nothing about the headlamps but do know that many part suppliers have cross check references for parts that are actually totally unsuitable. An instance was my last car a Rover45 2.0ltr quad cam 24v V6. All the replaceable service parts were quoted for the 1400/1600 and were totally useless for this engine. It maybe your feckers were genuine and misled. There again they could be twisters

0 0 0