Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi folks,

I've a chance to buy an 2002 A6 avant 2.5 tdi Quattro auto.

It will replace my freelander as that has big time broke and I need something RELIABLE. That's the key word really, so my question is;

Are the auto boxes in these models really as bad as people say they are? And is it worth buying one?
    If it is worth buying then are there any ways to test these boxes specifically in a test drive?

I've read up to an extent, but it's difficult to sort the peanuts from the poo. By the accounts I've read the cars and engines are bomb proof, but the auto boxes are gash.

If I were able to wait I'd buy a manual, but I need a car, I've always fancied one of these, 4wd is a must and my brother has an Audi a4 that he's in love with. It just so happens it's an auto that's for sale nearby, right price, right time.

I absolutely am hanging on reliability. I don't have cash to throw at it. Obviously small repairs here and there aren't an issue and I was a mechanic in a previous life so swapping parts isn't a problem, I just wouldn't want it to die on me as my job and family health means I need a car.

Is it worth a squirt?

Thanks guys

P.S. Not sure if it's tiptronic, can find out if that's the deal breaker.
    Last edited by Brad1234; 05-01-2016 at 01:33 AM. Reason: Spelling error

0 0 0

2. Re: A6 auto box really that bad? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    I guess it would be useful if you could post the year and mileage.

I have a 1.9 tdi FWD manual, that has had enough problems to mean I have spent time and money getting it up to spec. front suspension arms, shockers, rear suspension mount points, passenger door lock, egr valve, front and rear calipers, dmf clutch, noisy 6 speed gearbox.

All well documented faults, on a near 180k miles car there has been a lot to do, has it been worth it? Yes in a way, nice to drive, very reliable now part of me wishes I'd bought a Toyota just for reliability as I have a family and a busy life.

Add in to the mix 4WD and auto, and thinking about your criteria "I absolutely am hanging on reliability. I don't have cash to throw at it", wouldn't buy one.

Maybe they are not all like mine :-)

0 0 0

3. Re: A6 auto box really that bad? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the lengthy reply. It's nice to read an honest story.

The stuff I've read is either scare mongering or "buy one it goes bwaaaaaaaa"

As it happens it's a 2002 with almost 200k on it. I'm guessing I should stay away?

0 0 0

4. Re: A6 auto box really that bad? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    Tiptronic is pretty good, multitronic is bad. The tiptronic should change smoothly during the drive. A 200k car at 14 years old will need some work.
    Current- A6 C8 40 tdi quattro s line Daytona Grey
    Gone-S3 sportback, A6 C7 biturbo saloon,A4 B 8.5 avant, A6 C6 3.0 tdi Quattro saloon, A6 C5 2.8 Q Avant

0 0 0

5. Re: A6 auto box really that bad? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    its a quattro so will be tiptronic. multitronic is the one to avoid. however i did chuckle when i read your post about wanting a reliable car. i don't know what went wrong with your freelander but there is an awful lot more to go wrong with the 2.5 tdi. camshafts and vp44 injection pump would be the main items, neither of which are cheap. so unless both have been done or the cams are not worn, walk away. a 1.9 on the other hand is a different kettle of fish altogether which is reliable.
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

0 1 0

6. Re: A6 auto box really that bad? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hmmmm. The 1.9 is a good one eh? I saw a '98 a4 Quattro 1.9 on auto trader that's in my tiny price bracket. It too has nearly 200k, but then so does my freelander (the engine is fine in that, it's the rear diff and VCU which are buggered), maybe the a4 is worth a look.

0 0 0

7. Re: A6 auto box really that bad? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    I think that would be a better bet. The 1.9 engine is the one that clocks up huge mileages, there used to be a thread on here with the biggest mileage and the 1.9 had all the top spots. Also does more mpg than the 2.5.
    Current- A6 C8 40 tdi quattro s line Daytona Grey
    Gone-S3 sportback, A6 C7 biturbo saloon,A4 B 8.5 avant, A6 C6 3.0 tdi Quattro saloon, A6 C5 2.8 Q Avant

0 1 0

8. Re: A6 auto box really that bad? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Nice to know! I'll look in that direction when I come to buy then.

Thanks for all your help folks!

0 0 0

9. Re: A6 auto box really that bad? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I also talked myself out of buying an awd auto, glad I went for a fwd 1.9 as it has needed more than enough attention over the years without the extra expenses involved in the autos and v6's. If you're short on time or money I'd recommend doing the same and even at that, view any car with caution..

1 0 0

10. Re: A6 auto box really that bad? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    You want something RELIABLE , and so far you've tested a freelander and now you want's to try an allroad 2,5 tdi Auto ????!!! I guess this is a joke ? My friend, the 1,8 petrol freelander and the allroad 2,5 tdi are the 2 most unreliable cars ever made!
    The only question is who is first and who is second on the list

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast