Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi
    Advisory from recent service to replace nearside lower control arm on 2001 TDi130 sport saloon. Read on here and in Haynes that I need to lower the corner of the subframe to get the bolt out (good design eh?). Haynes talks about removing two support plate bolts (aka mounting bracket bolts?) and one (of the 4) main subframe mounting bolts. One post on here talks about needing guide dowels but i presume that that those are only needed if all 4 main bolts are loosened. Correct ?
    I havent had a good look underneath yet but plan to have car on axle stands and place trolley jack under this corner of subframe to gently lower sf to get bolt out (and replace bolt other way round) .
    Any common problem with this work e.g will I need to lever down the subframe (or is gravity enough) and/or will I need to remove droplinks on front arm to give more freedom of movement. Is it quicker/possible to cut head of bolt insitu to avoid messing around with subframe?

Thanks for viewing .
    Is avs best place for buying Febi control arm ? at £55 delivered

Trevor

0 0 0

2. Re: Dropping subframe to remove lower rear control arm bolt 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    You should use subframe pins to align the subframe after dropping it or put the old bolts back in, take it for alignment and then fit the new bolts one by one when you get it back. Ohh yes, you MUST change the bolts, they are one time only stretch bolts.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: Dropping subframe to remove lower rear control arm bolt 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    getting the new bolt in can be harder than getting the old bolt out .

i just prise the sub frame down once the bolts are all out on that side , just enough to pass the bolt out and then the new bolt in . the bolt cant be just pulled out ,they usually require a socket or spanner on them alllllllll the way out , well me lying on my side on a bed of concrete didnt help , up on a car lift this job will be much much easier.

0 0 0

4. Re: Dropping subframe to remove lower rear control arm bolt 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It is possible to extract the bolt without dropping the subframe at all. You just need to raise the front end of the bush sleeve, so that the bolt comes out at an angle, (edit not been clear here, undo nut, and pull back bolt as far possible, before pushing front end of bush sleeve up) . Same deal with the new arm when refitting. As above may need spannering out all the way!!
    2001 Passat estate Sport tdi 130hp
    2001 Passat Sport tdi 130hp
    1990 Audi coupe 20v x 2

0 0 0

5. Re: Dropping subframe to remove lower rear control arm bolt 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the bolt in my opinion will not come out without dropping the rear corner of the subframe..!! the floor pan is in the way and fuel lines

undo the small bolts holding the plate undo the large centre nut that bolts the subframe to car dont take it all the way out there is no need to,,!!!!!

get a buddy to prise the corner down just enough to get the bolt out it only needs abt an inch or so..!!

refit is opposite of removal..! get ur buddy to leaver the corner of subframe down to get bolt back in...

p.s. you need 2 15mm if i remember correct

i have never replaced the subframe bolt but if crasher says it needs replacing then replace it..!! i cant see them being that expensive anyway

i have had no problems with tracking etc etc..

i have changed the rear lower arm twice now tbh due to replacing with cheaper arms im going to vw for the next ones they are not really that dear..!!

good luck with it its easy mate..!!!!!

the hardest ones are the top 2 arms i have never changed these yet no play in them at all as yet...

0 0 0

6. Re: Dropping subframe to remove lower rear control arm bolt 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by passat tdi130 View Post
    the bolt in my opinion will not come out without dropping the rear corner of the subframe..!! the floor pan is in the way and fuel lines

undo the small bolts holding the plate undo the large centre nut that bolts the subframe to car dont take it all the way out there is no need to,,!!!!!

get a buddy to prise the corner down just enough to get the bolt out it only needs abt an inch or so..!!

refit is opposite of removal..! get ur buddy to leaver the corner of subframe down to get bolt back in...

p.s. you need 2 15mm if i remember correct

i have never replaced the subframe bolt but if crasher says it needs replacing then replace it..!! i cant see them being that expensive anyway

i have had no problems with tracking etc etc..

i have changed the rear lower arm twice now tbh due to replacing with cheaper arms im going to vw for the next ones they are not really that dear..!!

good luck with it its easy mate..!!!!!

the hardest ones are the top 2 arms i have never changed these yet no play in them at all as yet...
    that how i did it , except i had to prise it down and remove bolt by myself ,i have never used another bolt either ,i cant see how it needs realigned ,surely the middle bolt would put the subframe back where it came from ??? give me the 2 top arms to replace anyday , pretty easy once you get that stupid long pinch bolt out.

0 0 0

7. Re: Dropping subframe to remove lower rear control arm bolt 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    you can come and do mine...lol

0 0 0

8. Re: Dropping subframe to remove lower rear control arm bolt 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for all the replies . Wide range of advise - Crasher seems to be saying remove all 4 subframe bolts, passat tdi130 and passt130tdi agree with Haynes (remove adjacent 1 only) and Scotty 33 says no need to remove any of them ! Suppose I can try Scotty method and if that doesnt work (and cant cut the head off ) then I can follow tdi130/130tdi method. I had planned to use new control arm bolt & nut (if/when I got it out - green arrow on attached) and main bolt (red arrow) as these are torqued and then angle tightened a further 90deg but it hadnt occurred to me to change bracket bolts (yellow arrows). But if Crasher say change em all then I will. Is it really possible to fit control arm bolt the other way round - doesnt seem enough space to maneouvre through the subframe? (if wont fit that way round then no point in cutting head off old bolt to ease getting it out!)

now got a creaking on opposite side - that I'm struggling to trace (not antiroll bar drop link - temporarily disconnected these but creak still there). If still there when temp drops I may end up changing the lot (unless someone had better idea - spray with wd40?) - anybody used this this kit ?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

trevor

0 0 0

9. Re: Dropping subframe to remove lower rear control arm bolt 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i bought a set off ebay , but not that set - cost me £150 for the lot , its been fitted for 2 years now , done 26000 miles on it without issue

0 0 0

10. Re: Dropping subframe to remove lower rear control arm bolt 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    to be honest mate i have never torqued the sub bolt up i just tighten it till it wont go any further..!! what is the torque supposed to be..??

trev dropping the subframe corner is really easy mate i wouldnt cut the head off as the bolt can be reused i have changed mine twice now drivers lower rear..!!

and used the same bolt's both time's

where are you located mate..?

1 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast