1. 2004 1.9TDI white smoke 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Normally when i acceleration the car got white smoke behind, my car is do 90,000.
    My car got big problem?? i just done my long life service last month.Do i need to service again??

0 0 0

2. Re: 2004 1.9TDI white smoke 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ock00 View Post
    Normally when i acceleration the car got white smoke behind, my car is do 90,000.
    My car got big problem?? i just done my long life service last month.Do i need to service again??
    White smoke is not good. What's your coolant level like - could be a blown head gasket. Got any problems with high temperature?

Any other characteristics you're aware of - such as smell, having to top up oil, flat spot on acceleration, etc?
    2016 BMW i3 REx (25k)
    2012 A4 Allroad Quattro 2.0 TDI (55k)
    2003 A2 1.4 TDI SE (166k) sold
    2001 B5 A4 2.5 TDI Avant Quattro Sport, (173k), sold
    1995 B4 80 1.9 TDI Avant SE, (175k), sold

0 0 0

3. Re: 2004 1.9TDI white smoke 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for reply.
    i check the coolant level, yes is below the min line ( i will top up tomorrow)the temperature always keep in 90.
    when i start my car(morning) will got some oil smell, i will check my engine oil tomorrow, when i acceleration i feel the car is 1 second slow is it call flat spot ??i always drive in town and i only can get 31 MPG.

Many thanks

0 0 0

4. Re: 2004 1.9TDI white smoke 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ock00 View Post
    Thanks for reply.
    i check the coolant level, yes is below the min line ( i will top up tomorrow)the temperature always keep in 90.
    when i start my car(morning) will got some oil smell, i will check my engine oil tomorrow, when i acceleration i feel the car is 1 second slow is it call flat spot ??i always drive in town and i only can get 31 MPG.

Many thanks
    Check the coolant expansion tank. If there's oily sludge on top - then it could be the head gasket. On the other hand this could be unburned fuel. The glow plugs need to be replaced every 60k. Fit Bosch. You could also try Forte diesel conditioner straight into the fuel filter. On start-up, drive the car hard in 2nd and 3rd gears and check your mirror! Replace the fuel filter afterwards (remember to top up with fresh diesel). Also worth checking the air filter and vacuum hoses for any splits.

If the problem persists - worth getting the car scanned for faults.
    2016 BMW i3 REx (25k)

0 0 0

5. Re: 2004 1.9TDI white smoke 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Today i just check topup the coolant water to below the mix line ( no oil sludge on top). how to i check the glow plugs??and can i check it myself??i just buy redex
    So after the redex i still need to change the fuel filter and air filter?? how much will cost me ?? any suggest in Birmingham??
    Many Thanks

0 0 0

6. Re: 2004 1.9TDI white smoke 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    The glow-plugs are located under the plastic engine cover next to the fuel injectors. Because it's a V6, you're going to need six. I'm not saying this will cure the problem - but worth a try.

One word of warning. Assuming the glow plugs haven't been done for a while (if at all), take your time on undoing them and don't force them - the last thing you want is one shearing off due to brut-force! I'd also blow compressed air around the plugs before removal to get rid of any dirt that's likely to drop into the head. Use a smear of Copper-ease on the threads of the new glow-plugs so removal in the future is guaranteed.

Also, the Redex is okay for injectors, however Forte is one of the best products on the market for getting rid of carbon build up and reducing emissions. I'd use it over Redex any day. If it's used straight into the fuel filter - it will have the desired result. Afterwards the fuel filter has to be replaced as a matter of course.
    2016 BMW i3 REx (25k)

0 0 0

7. Re: 2004 1.9TDI white smoke 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spartacus 68 View Post
    The glow-plugs are located under the plastic engine cover next to the fuel injectors. Because it's a V6, you're going to need six. I'm not saying this will cure the problem - but worth a try.
    Why is it a v6? Its a 1.9tdi therefore only 4 cylinder
    Audi A4 B6 Avant Sport 1.9TDI (SOLD)
    His: BMW 123d Coupe Auto
    Hers: Audi A4 B8 2.0TDI 143 Multitronic

0 0 0

8. Re: 2004 1.9TDI white smoke 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DBSK View Post
    Why is it a v6? Its a 1.9tdi therefore only 4 cylinder
    Well spotted. Seem to have been answering a few 2.5TDi queries of late.

The 1.9 4-cylinder only needs four plugs. Think from memory - they're around £8 each.
    2016 BMW i3 REx (25k)

0 0 0

9. Re: 2004 1.9TDI white smoke 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    As much as this is an old thread i find myself in a similar situation so hoping someone sees my post,

I own a 2001 Passat 1.9tdi (AWX) on my drive to work recently i noticed some white/blue smoke when accelerating, this is in all gears, i checked the car over before driving home and there didn't seem to be anything visually wrong, no cracks in hoses, oil in coolant etc. but it still smoked on the way home, i decided to use an alternative method of transport until i could look into it further (since i have bad luck with cars i tend not to take chances) a few days later i managed to crack the oil sump (the car is lowered, has been since i bought it and i knew i was going to regret it at some point) i didn't run the car until the new sump was on the car, which i have just done in the last few days, i filled the oil (no leaks) and took the car for a test drive.

Things got interesting on the drive, most notably white (with a tinge of blue) smoke pouring out any time i put my foot on the throttle, there doesn't seem to be any dead spots in acceleration although i am a little nervous to push the engine to hard, after about 5 minutes this had only gotten worse, the breaks also seem very 'tough' but i had no issue stopping the car, I've checked with VCDS and there aren't any codes so im not really sure where to start with either of these.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

0 0 0

10. Re: 2004 1.9TDI white smoke 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    Are you sure this is not just normal water vapour coming from a cold exhaust system, and more visible in the recent cold and damp weather we've mostly been getting? Is the engine getting up to full operating temperature of around 87'C (view in VCDS,not the dash temp gauge). check the turbo VNT is operating and air mass meter is working ok. If you think this is smoke and not water vapour you could also check the turbo compressor outlet for signs of oil leaking past the seal ring. remove the pipework to the intercooler and up to the inlet manifold and look for oil pouring out, a little bit of oil is normal but you might find there is loads of oil in which case suspect your turbo is goosed.
    Until last week I'd been running a 2005 AWX passat for a good few years and have noticed white water vapour exhaust during the recent rubbish weather.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast