1. Handbrake adjustment. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I am going to replace the rear pads on my 03 reg Passat 2.0i this weekend,weather permitting, and I'm a tad concerned about reconnecting/tensioning the handbrake afterwards. Haynes says the cable has to come off the caliper, pads done, then reconnected and adjusted underneath the car. It's a DIY job, so I only have the usual DIY stuff (small trolley jack, pair of axle stands, VW supplied car jack) and I'm not totally delirious about crawling under the car and messing about.

Can the adjustment be done from inside the car at all, and is it a total pig for a basically competent DIYer?

Any advice gratefully accepted, but please keep it simple

0 0 0

2. Re: Handbrake adjustment. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    its self adjusting at the calipers - only if its uber slack after a few good pulls and pressing the brake pedal ,do you need to crawl under and adjust .

i never take the cable off to do my back brakes , just take the handbrake off , wind the pistons in fully ,then back by 1 full turn , fit new pads and reassemble.

0 0 0

3. Re: Handbrake adjustment. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by passat 130 tdi View Post
    its self adjusting at the calipers - only if its uber slack after a few good pulls and pressing the brake pedal ,do you need to crawl under and adjust .

i never take the cable off to do my back brakes , just take the handbrake off , wind the pistons in fully ,then back by 1 full turn , fit new pads and reassemble.
    Cheers, so when you say wind the pistons in, you mean open them up for the new pads yes?

Would I have to open the brake fluid reservoir in the engine compartment to release brake pressure at all?

And, sorry about this, does the centre console need to come out if the H/brake doesn't have to be disconnected?

0 0 0

4. Re: Handbrake adjustment. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    on my 2001 tdi there is nothing under the centre console to adjust , i'd imagine yours to be the same , i suppose you could disconnect the handbrake cables under there , but its not really an issue .i have changed rear pads on lots of cars with the same calipers and never took the handbrake cable off yet .

you will need a 6 inch g-clamp or the special tool to wind the rear calipers back in , do not try squeezing them back in , they dont , they must be turned back in . as for the resovoir , if its not brimming over the max mark , i dont see the need to take the cap off but thats entirelly your choice .

0 0 0

5. Re: Handbrake adjustment. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for that. Haynes says a few things that ain't necesserily true methinks.

Thanks for the pointers anyway.

0 0 0

6. Re: Handbrake adjustment. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Turned into a bit of a mare has this. Got it all stripped down, but no way can I get the bloody pistons to rewind, actually broke my rewind tool doing it.

Took top off brake fluid reservoir to see if that took pressure off, nowt. Suggested to a lad I vaguely know (used to work for VW as a spannerman) that I undo bleed nipple to allow rewind, he thought it a very bad move for some reason.

At least the weather is crap so we won't be going anywhere this BHW.

0 0 0

7. Re: Handbrake adjustment. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    you can crack bleed nipple if you like , it wont change anything , but it will make piston rewind alot easier - once you get piston moving it will screw in pretty easily.

are you sure you took the handbrake off otherwise it wont budge.

0 0 0

8. Re: Handbrake adjustment. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Aye, it's off. Just been one of those days I reckon lol

0 0 0

9. Re: Handbrake adjustment. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well, once I got the rewind thingy working, it was so easy, far easier than Haynes said. Thanks for the pointers, and bearing with me,passat 130 tdi.

On to the front end now, pads and discs, feel confident about tackling that now.

0 0 0

10. Re: Handbrake adjustment. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    no worries m8.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast