Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Big Day Tomorrow

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Big Day Tomorrow 
    DSG4ME Guest
    I become a fully fledged Passat owner hopefully, I'm in two states right now, one can't wait to get the DSG and the other is sad to be letting go of what can only be described as a fantastic car (Skoda Superb) I have to let go of her as I've owned her three years now and she's getting too old for my purpose, the deal I've got was just too good to miss, a good px price to eat a fair chunk into the new car cost, a years AA and VW warranty, and the fact that the Skoda could potentially misbehave itself and be worth nothing in a few months time, I've had my eye on a Sport for over a year now, I actually bought one last May, but sadly it was ex hire and it had indication's it had had a good whack so I left it, funny thing though, I was getting £500 px less and the car was £500 less than the one I've bought a year on and a plate year older, well 4 mths in real terms, but mine is an 0 where the other one was a 5, same mileage on both, I'm hoping this car is going to be a good one, as everyone does, so we'll see soon enough, got quoted £287 to retro fit the cruise today, so that can wait.

And btw, if any of you suffer the non starting steering ecu issue, there's a software fix for it now, and VW have held their hands up to it late last year it would seem.

0 0 0

2. Re: Big Day Tomorrow 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DSG4ME View Post
    ....................got quoted £287 to retro fit the cruise today, so that can wait.
    How much?

August 2008 retrofit to my 06 Sport cost pennies under £155; stalk module £77, lower steering column cover £19 & labour £59. Might be able to find the part nos.if it helps.
    Passat Estate GT 16 190/295 DSG Sand Gold/Espresso, Premium LEDs, Area View, DA Pack Plus, Park Assist, XDS, Boot divider, Olive Ash.
    TDI history, all saloons: CC 59 140/236 GT, Passat 06 140/236 Sport, A6 SE 2000 110/173, A4 SE 1995 90/149, 80 1992 90/134, plus SWMBO's 2000 A3 SE 90/155 hatch.
    1979 Alfasud 4 door 1.5 in Verde Pino. 105 bhp Green Cloverleaf engine .

0 0 0

3. Re: Big Day Tomorrow 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hope the new car turns out to be everything you are hoping for.

Lets us know you initial thoughts after you've picked it up.

Also be interesting to see how it compares to your Skoda, although I assume it is the older model Superb, similar to the Passat B5.5.

0 0 0

4. Re: Big Day Tomorrow 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Good Luck with the new motor

0 0 0

5. Re: Big Day Tomorrow 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DSG4ME View Post
    .....And btw, if any of you suffer the non starting steering ecu issue, there's a software fix for it now, and VW have held their hands up to it late last year it would seem.
    Are you saying this is a sort of recall here - is the software fix an alternative to buying new parts?
    2006 (Dec.) B6 2.0TDi 140 Confort | Moka anthracite nacré | CControl | Highline MFD | Chrome Grill | Meta Targa rear parking sensors | Debadged
    1996 Laguna 2.2D
    1977 MGB roadster

0 0 0

6. Re: Big Day Tomorrow 
    DSG4ME Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gamichea View Post
    How much?

August 2008 retrofit to my 06 Sport cost pennies under £155; stalk module £77, lower steering column cover £19 & labour £59. Might be able to find the part nos.if it helps.
    I think my local dealer thinks their dealing Roller's tbh, the dealer I'm getting it from said about £200.

Quote Originally Posted by johnloaderuk View Post
    Hope the new car turns out to be everything you are hoping for.

Lets us know you initial thoughts after you've picked it up.

Also be interesting to see how it compares to your Skoda, although I assume it is the older model Superb, similar to the Passat B5.5.
    Will do, and yes it's the stretched B5.5

Quote Originally Posted by rapport25 View Post
    Good Luck with the new motor
    Thankyou

Quote Originally Posted by Quatrelle View Post
    Are you saying this is a sort of recall here - is the software fix an alternative to buying new parts?

Read this

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...258021839.html

0 0 0

7. Re: Big Day Tomorrow 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    DSG4ME - Might be worth starting a new thread about the steering ECU, adding that link, seeing as a lot of people on here have been paying megabucks for repairs.
    2006 (Dec.) B6 2.0TDi 140 Confort | Moka anthracite nacré | CControl | Highline MFD | Chrome Grill | Meta Targa rear parking sensors | Debadged
    1996 Laguna 2.2D
    1977 MGB roadster

0 0 0

8. Re: Big Day Tomorrow 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    And let's hope your new car gives you as much satisfaction as mine has - so far...
    1996 Laguna 2.2D
    1977 MGB roadster

0 0 0

9. Re: Big Day Tomorrow 
    DSG4ME Guest
    Here goes chaps, I set off for Yorkshire at 2am this morning, I arrived at about 5:30am and got my head down for a few hours until the showroom opened.

And for the second time at a VW dealer I was confronted with a car with more paint than a Wickes shelf, I looked around and around and around it, and found about 10 faults, I had a drive of it and then was about to turn for home empty handed when I just got to the stage where I thought if I don't have this one I'll never get one at all, I also felt I was on borrowed time with the Skoda, not that there was anything wrong with her, it's just experience tells me if you've owned a car that's not been any hassle over 100k miles, the time is going to arrive soon enough, anyway, I got three faults rectified, one on the spot, the other two later, the other seven things were paint mainly, it's not been done bad, but a trained eye can see it, and I'm dreading the street lights if the match isn't too clever, but what we have is a car that had one owner until about a year ago, and a second who when I get the V5 I'll know more about the cars origin's, right now I think it's one of those that's been registered to a second owner to get the 1st one off the log book, the inside is too good to be either a taxi or hire car in a past life, but I do suspect it's not had a lot of love so far.

So, I buy it and head home, 250 miles later I'm really getting attached to it, I experienced the things others have said, like the nothing and then everything pedal, I've learned to comp it now though, the trick is don't be a *****, but don't be a heavy either, and this seems to get her moving ok for me, so I arrive home, and it's time to show it off, the swimbo gets in and I start it up.......LOW OIL LEVEL greets me, great, serviced yesterday, done 250 miles and it eats nearly a litre of oil, no leaks to be seen, so it must be being consumed, so I top up and still the light won't go out, I'm about to launch the nukes now, even if it means another 500 miles otr, so I go have some eats and low and behold it's gone out when I get finished, I'm hoping all this is is a simple case of a crap mechanic, but I'm suspecting they haven't serviced it as it was only done 4k beforehand, got me sticker to say it has been, but the book ain't stamped, book says not ll service, sticker says longlife, oil is as black as a blackboard, and there is some fumes when you take the cap off, thinking about doing another service myself, it's only had one before, and that was at 24k, then I get the really good news, sorry sir you can't use the used car warranty if it's a cab, so I effectively have the remnants of the original 60k backup, and after that it's going to be a case of if I get a major fail I will strip it and tell lies to ensure VW doesn't wiggle again, one reason I was going Toyota this time, still, I like the car, even if it has been owned by some ignorass that a car is just a mean to an end and if it looks like **** at the end of it so be it, hopefully the night light won't embarrass me, and all the low oil thing was was a careless mech, come to think of it, I had to foot down her a few times on the way home, and nothing was coming out of the back, which would suggest the mechanic only put 3 litres of oil in it, or didn't read the stick properly.

Good old VW, dependable to the last, last one for me, hopefully I will have a happy ownership period, but after all this I think it's time to go Jap or back to Luton for the next one.

0 0 0

10. Re: Big Day Tomorrow 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    I'm sure I read on here that the oil level light goes out if you just open and shut the bonnet, regardless of if you add oil or not. The oil will usually go black after 250 miles even if they did change it - although it sounds unlikely judging by what you've said.

How did you get on trying to read the dipstick?
    1996 Laguna 2.2D
    1977 MGB roadster

0 0 0

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast