Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,
    Placed a deposit on an A1 but i am not sure if i should go for the petrol or diesel engine?

I will be getting the car remapped and probably a SS exhaust.

The TFSI is the 122bhp version with either 6 speed manual or 7 speed S-Tronic, and the Diesel is 105bhp with only a 5 speed option.

Cheers.

0 0 0

2. Re: 1.4 TFSI or 1.6 TDI? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    1.4 tfsi
    COMING SOON: '14 A5 Cabriolet S-line Special edition, Daytona Grey
    CURRENT: 11' A5 S-Line Black Edition Ibis White
    previous: 09' A3 S-line Ibis White

0 0 0

3. Re: 1.4 TFSI or 1.6 TDI? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks tloinhart,

Is that because you own a 1.4 TFSI? Or for some other reason?

A bit more info from me and pointers:

I will be only doing short distances and around 6k miles per year.

Insurance and road tax cheaper on the TDI.

Better MPG on TDI.

7 Speed S-Tronic only on TFSI. (I liked S-Tronic on an A3 test drive)

TDI more torque.

TDI better resale value?

What sort of BHP would i get from both engines after a remap?

Thanks.

0 0 0

4. Re: 1.4 TFSI or 1.6 TDI? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    1.6 has no power, compared to the 1.4. The 1.4 is a superb fuel efficient engine which has speed, power, sport and of course saving you fuel. The 1.6 is only 5 speed where as the 1.4 is 6. Driving the 1.4 is very similar to the 1.8. Mines de-badged and work colleagues think my car is 2.0. I get away with it
    The A1 is only slightly less powerful than the A3 spec 1.4, but not a huge different and you will most certainly be impressed of a test drive of this supercharged turbo engine. I have also owned the 1.6 engine by audi. My dad also, who like my car so much decided to go out and order another A3 1.4.

Are you going for the S-Line A1? Them headlights are a must have!!

By the way you don't do enough mileage to own a TDI. The whole point of TDI engines is to offer excellent fuel efficiency for long motorway journeys. (say your journey to work is 25+ miles one way).
    The 1.4 is still in a low tax, insurance band. Petrol doesn't cost much in the car. I put Ł75 Shell optimax in the A3. Thats from RED to FULL. It could cost Ł50, but I do like my premium fuel. I recommend the Shell Optimaz for your Audi. (if you have enough in your fuel budget) My father also does exactly the same amount of miles as you a year. The 1.4 works out very cheap in this manor, whereas I do the 10k per year. The 1.4 isn't fuel efficient when you drive the car hard. (high revs, late gear changes, constant high speeds on motorways/A-Roads) As for a re-map I'm really not sure. Especially when the A1 isn't on the roads yet. So I guess it's best to hold on for other owners to get this done to see what potential you have. I think they are using the same 1.4 from the VW polo. Could be wrong. (mines from the VW Golf.)
    TDI has just the same potential of a resale as a TFSI. Especially when the TDI has more miles than the FSI. The dealer can give you accurate balloon figures on this (residual figures) when you enquire about the finance. (if thats how you intend to pay for the car)
    When the A1 is on our roads, Im going to test drive a 1.4 to see what the difference is. However from my experience with Audi so for the 1.4 is the BEST engine they have done. As mentioned it compromises both power and efficiency in one engine. Also offers start/stop, recuperation and fuel saving tips such as gear changes. Also offers excellent MPG for your intended 6000 per year cap.

0 0 0

5. Re: 1.4 TFSI or 1.6 TDI? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for all the info.

I think the A1's 1.4TFSI is the 122bhp version which does not have the supercharger..... Maybe they are saving that engine for a S1 although probably modified turbo/remap etc?

I do like the S-Tronic though

Yes, i am going for the S-Line.... Not sure on the options yet as the brochure is not out until next week. Certainly Bose, Xenon/LED, Leather, Infotainment system and 18" wheels.

0 0 0

6. Re: 1.4 TFSI or 1.6 TDI? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    its must just be the A3, because it only use to be 108bhp until audi got their hands on it.
    The spec sounds really nice and certainly in comparison with the A2 you have

0 0 0

7. Re: 1.4 TFSI or 1.6 TDI? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm getting the 1.4 TFSi with the DSG - I do plenty of miles as well but think that combination will be a winner!! Definitely an s-line with a black and red leather interior they show on the web - will also get as many other bits I can on it as I'm planning to use it for the daily commute instead of my A4-B8.

I also notice that the DSG box drops the car's emissions for the company car benefit in kind so maybe it does for road tax as well.

If you only do 6000 miles a year you definitely should go petrol - the diesel fuel economy savings toend to only come when the car gets warmed up, which takes longer with a diesel and I'm guessing you don't do lots of long journeys.....

0 0 0

8. Re: 1.4 TFSI or 1.6 TDI? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tlionhart View Post
    1.6 has no power, compared to the 1.4. The 1.4 is a superb fuel efficient engine
    Eh !!

See my post above re fuel consumption.. I dont think the fuel consumption is much good to be frank. I'm sure the 1.6 diesel almost runs on fresh air.

Although I was impressed with how relaxed and low revving the 1.4 engine was in top gear on the motorway.

0 0 0