Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,

2001 A6 2.5 tdi Quattro

Just wondering if anyone has had a problem with the oil pressure warning light comming on with no apparent pressure or oil loss. My assumption at the moment is a faulty sensor/switch.
    It occasionally comes on but if you switch off and then restart the engine it appears OK and no further problems for several hundred miles. I have noted on this site that someone has had a similar problem with a warning light but not the oil light and has been told by the dealer that it is a computer problem and will cost £700 to replace.

It now appears to be happening more frequently and when the weather conditions are wet.

Any advise or thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers

Jim

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sounds a bit like my A6 1.8TSE petrol which seems to have the oil warning come on some times, does yours disapear as you speed back up or do you have to switch off? thought about changing the switch as the car does not rattle so am not convinced it is nothing more than a sticky switch, if i can find it??

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yes, I am sure its either a switch/sensor fault. Engine is running fine and it does go off on its own but it came on and stayed on at the weekend. Stopped and switched off a couple of times and all Ok but within a mile or so it bleeped and came on again. It was lashing down with rain and had been allday so might even be damp getting in somewhere. If I found out for sure I will keep you posted.

Cheers

Jim

0 0 0

4. Re: Oil Pressure Warning Light 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You've probably resolved your issues by this late time but having a look around in google etc I'm pretty sure it is the sensore and this link suggests where it's located: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3551056

0 0 0

5. Re: Oil Pressure Warning Light 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I know this is an old thread but I am in a right kerfuffle about my 1999 A6 1.8T!! I have had this car from 2 years old so know it like a child! It has been well maintained and serviced, it has now done 164k but runs like new. Although in October on a trip to Devon from Yorkshire the oil warning light kept coming on, on arrival the oil was checked and was fine?? I put it down to rubbish thin oil (Castrol my pet hate!!) But all I had in the cellar lol.. Anyhow it went off and stayed off, never came on all the way back and over week I did in excess of 1500 miles. Last weekend some 6 months later I went to Blackpool some 110 miles and the same happened. I paniced and self diagnosed the head gasket as the cap had slight brown sludge on it, however car running perfectly?? I took Dad's advise and drove home carefully and apart from my exhaust falling off!! got home Ok and no further issues. The garage who did my exhaust also do my MOT although I haven't used them for mechanics as I have a local Audi VW spec mechanic who I use. The guy seemed to know immediately what the problem was and diagnosed the pressure gauge. This item about £20-£55 and fitted free if they did the service. I tried to sourse the part myself but needed to see which one it was as there appeared to be 2, so I called in to see him but met another chap who said this was B@@@x and it was the oil pump failing?? Gutted!! Anyone had similar?? The above seems to lead towards the sensor?? Many Thanks Jill.

0 0 0

6. Re: Oil Pressure Warning Light 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Maybe I'm being unduly paranoid & mistrustful here, after all I don't know the mechanic, but wouldn't it be prudent to change the pressure guage first, before going straight to the oil pump? I'd be taking it to someone else & asking them to start at the pressure guage to see if it rectified ths problem.
    The Only Way Is A6!
    A6 C7 Facelift Avant | Daytona Grey | S-Line Black Edition | 2016 | 3.0BiTDI 320ps | Tech Pack | Lighting Pack | Parking Pack | All LED Headlights | Sports suspension Heated Steering Wheel | Kessel a Run in under 10 parsecs

0 0 0

7. Re: Oil Pressure Warning Light 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My thoughts tbh!! I don't trust mechanics full stop, but when one laughs at my diagnosis of head gasket and gives a very plausible theory of the oil pressure sensor, I have a tendency to believe him and also for the cost of say 20 quid, worth a try me thinks!! I'm sure if it was oil pump it would affect the noise, running and almost definitely oil temperature?? Which all seem to be fine. Thanks for your support. P.s. love the car!!! Jill.

0 0 0

8. Re: Oil Pressure Warning Light 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Fortunately there are also some very good, honest mechanics out there too. So hopefully one of them can chip in & give their opinion on your fault, or maybe there'll be someone else here who can recommend a good garage to you.
    The Only Way Is A6!
    A6 C7 Facelift Avant | Daytona Grey | S-Line Black Edition | 2016 | 3.0BiTDI 320ps | Tech Pack | Lighting Pack | Parking Pack | All LED Headlights | Sports suspension Heated Steering Wheel | Kessel a Run in under 10 parsecs

0 0 0

9. Re: Oil Pressure Warning Light 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    In a car that's, shall we say "not in the first flush of youth".......when you get problems that have 4-figure solutions, the only logical option is to eliminate the low-cost options first.
    The best place to start is with an oil change! An oil meeting VAG specifications is critical, and might well fix your prioblem.

After that, try replacing the oil pressure switch. From then on, it starts to get expensive. It may be possible to change the oil pump with the engine in situ, but I dooubt it.

Generally (very) if the oil pump is clapped, the mains (which mostly determine the oil pressure) will be on their last legs as well.

There is also the possibility that the oil pressure relief valve is stuck open with a bit of debris, and only needs checking/cleaning/re-seating, but you seldom get that lucky..
    Allroad 2.7 TT 2004
    Jensen Interceptor III (Now sadly Sold)
    Giant full-sus Mountain bike
    Urban Mover Electric Mountainboard
    Chinese no-name electric bike

0 0 0

10. Re: Oil Pressure Warning Light 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    An early 1.8T and a STOP/Oil light is usually a blocked oil pickup pipe.

Search either here or the internets for "1.8t sludge" and absorb the wealth of information.

Considering selling my VCDS KEY-USB interface. If you're interested please contact me via PM or email.

0 1 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast