Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    All

After the premature end of my much loved and long owned Audi 80 1.9TDI I'm in need of new wheels.

Sorry if this is one of those questions that is just to broad to answer but hopefully you can give some helpful hints?

Been hunting around and seem to be fixed on the following cars, that have made their way into the classified adds. I'm looking at two particular petrol A4s at the moment:

2.0 FSI Sport Manual Petrol 2003 03 Reg (96K)
    2002 AUDI A4 1.8T AVANT SPORT ESTATE (96K)

Both with full Audi service history.

Can anyone just give me a bit of a stear on whether there are particularly bad known faults with these models? Or whether there are particular things to look out for? Or whether you think one is a significantly better choice than the other?

If it helps my use of the car would mainly be for weekends. I cycle to work and use my car for carting around building materials to help renovate my Victorian house. Drive to Wales now again for mountain biking and hurtle over to the coastline when the weather looks okay! So probably just below average annual mileage. I also tend to hang onto cars for as long as they continue to run. I'm not one to change frequently. A diesel would be preferable but I don't have the money to cover a sub 100K mileage A4 that isn't less than 10 years old or has been used to drive down dale every weekend with a full car of kids, and a horsebox on the back.

Cheers for your help

0 0 0

2. Re: A4 1.8T or 2.0 FSI - Buying advice 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    Keep looking at the price of diesels if you fancy one, as I'm sure you would get one at a similar price to a 1.8 turbo of 2002 vintage
    A6 2.4 SE (2000)S3 1.8T (2001)80 Coupe 2.3 (1991)
    A3 1.8T sport (1997)A4 3.0 QST (2002)
    80 Coupe 2.6S (1995)A4 Cab 2.4 sport (2002) Another 2.6 '95 coupe in byzanz purple
    '88 type 89 90 saloon kv 5 pot A4 1.8T 2001

0 0 0

3. Re: A4 1.8T or 2.0 FSI - Buying advice 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I wouldn't be too bother by cars that have done 100k + as long as there is plenty of evidence of good maintenance. I bought a diesel Passat that had a 100k and drove it to 130k without problems.

The 1.9 PD engines are virtually indestructible if they've had regular cambelts/waterpumps and been fed the right oil.

I'd be happier with a high mileage 1.9 than a 1.8t

0 0 0

4. Re: A4 1.8T or 2.0 FSI - Buying advice 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Can you explain why you would be happier with a high mileage diesel rather than a 1.8T or even a 2.0FSI? Presumbley the TDI are more reliable/longer lasting?

0 0 0

5. Re: A4 1.8T or 2.0 FSI - Buying advice 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Never owned a diesel so can't comment on them, although i own 2 1.8T's, a B5 with 185K miles and a B6 quattro s-line with 60K miles, have owned the B5 since 120K and no engine probs whatsoever, B6 owned for last 10K and no probs, i do change the oil regularly (longlife 111) every 5K or so, and am mechanically sympathetic with my cars (aircraft precision engineer!!)

I do believe the non turbo 2.0 litre fsi is a bit down on power and is relatively thirsty, if i were looking now i would be looking at the 2.0 litre TFSI quattro special edition with the 220bhp engine. Its got more torque than the 1.8T, does more mpg and is cheaper to tax.

0 0 0

6. Re: A4 1.8T or 2.0 FSI - Buying advice 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i have an 03 2.0 fsi and get about 450 miles from a tankfull(5 miles of country roads a day) there not the quickest car in the world if you want weekend fun go for a 1.8 turbo whichever you go for make sure its been well maintained as both engines can suffer oil pressure problems

0 0 0

7. Re: A4 1.8T or 2.0 FSI - Buying advice 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks for your help. I think I like the sounds of the 1.8T. I'm fairly picky and am really looking for something that shows good service history. Still searching the Autotrader as I type....the hunt goes on!!

0 0 0