1. Re: Golf mk5 boot release fuse? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    The tailgate release is controlled by the convenience control module, located behind the glovebox.
    I've attached a photo showing the module and the location of the tailgate release wire. To force the actuator, unplug the black release wire connector and use a short link wire to bridge the release wire to the 12V power supply. If the tailgate release activates you know the wiring between the actuator and the module is all good, meaning the control module isn't sending the release signal for some reason.

As well as the release actuator, there are two switches inside the tailgate latch. So the actuator and two switches accounts for 3 of the pins, then there is the earth/ground on the 4th.
    You can use the rear wiper and boot light to test the switches inside the latch. Make sure the boot light switches on & off when you open & close the tailgate, and make sure the rear wiper DOESN'T work when the tailgate is open.

TAILGATE RELEASE - RED/BLUE WIRE

Forum.jpg

0 0 0

2. Re: Golf mk5 boot release fuse? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks Flash!
    Now checked, boot light and viper and they works as expected. Attaching a photo on the cable that is worn, boot light and Pins 1-4.

I will tomorrow check the tailgate release already too dark in Sweden.

IMG_0128.jpgIMG_0129.jpgIMG_0131.jpg

0 0 0

3. Re: Golf mk5 boot release fuse? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Flash you are Awesome!
    I with this guide managed to remove the glovebox. Volkswagen Golf GTI Mk V Glove Box Removal (2006-2009) - Pelican Parts DIY Maintenance Article

And your 12v trick pops the trunk open.
    So CCM busted or wrong coded, that’s a putty.

Then I saw your picture. The person that had worked on this before had by force connected the trunk opening in the wrong port. Put it in the right port and, voila I got a working trunk.

The keyfob trunk button don’t work or does not work or what should it do? This is my first Golf so how should it work?

If you ever come to Stockholm, Sweden I owe you several cold ones!

Best regards to you and this awesome forum that helped me out!

// Johan

0 0 0

4. Re: Golf mk5 boot release fuse? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by obs View Post
    Flash you are Awesome!
    Wait 'til I go get the wife and show her that...LOL

Quote Originally Posted by obs
    your 12v trick pops the trunk open.
    Excellent! Glad that worked for you.

Then I saw your picture. The person that had worked on this before had by force connected the trunk opening in the wrong port. Put it in the right port and, voila I got a working trunk.
    RESULT!!

The keyfob trunk button don’t work or does not work or what should it do? This is my first Golf so how should it work?
    It is probably working OK actually. That button doesn't release the tailgate, it just unlocks it so you can open it with the handle.

If you ever come to Stockholm, Sweden I owe you several cold ones!
    If I'm ever heading there I'll be sure to let you know

Best regards to you and this awesome forum that helped me out!
    Happy to help. That's why us techs hang out here.

All the best.
    Jim.

0 1 0

5. Re: Golf mk5 boot release fuse? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Great thread and certainly helped me.

My issue seemed to be with the wiring between the rear pillar and boot latch, it doesn't help that the wires change colour when they go through the hidden connectors in the pillar either. Even stranger I had continuity according to the multi meter but I ended up running a new wire from the connector to the boot latch - I just patched it in and also left the original wire in place.

My steps:
    1. Test latch by applying 12V to it on PIN 4 - she works!
    2. Check for 12V signal being sent to PIN 4 when boot opened - NO Signal
    3. Access the control module behind glove box and force a signal but putting the 12V down the cable - NO Signal at the latch
    4. Run a temp. wire from control module output to the PIN 4 of the latch - she works!
    5. Access the wiring loom the full length of the car, remove sheeth at certain points and try the latch (2 person job) - found it worked until I hit those connectors behind the rear pillar
    6. Ran a single new wire from just before this connector the the PIN 4 of the latch connector - all working
    7. Apply tape to new joints, put car back together, etc.

Hope this helps someone else.

1 0 0

6. Re: Golf mk5 boot release fuse? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    This thread is great. It helped me figure out that my daughter's latch works (it was getting current, sort of) and that I have a problem I haven't seen discussed anywhere on this thread or others. I started with the latch to see if it was getting a signal. At first, I saw no signal when I pushed in the outer handle. But since it was awkward to keep reaching over the hatch, I got lazy and just pushed down the metal contact plate from the inside. Bingo - I got a signal. And when I hooked everything up right, my latch opened. Then I had to figure out why it worked from the inside but not the outside.

When you push in the lift gate handle, it rotates a white plastic lever that pushes down on a thin metal contact plate that in turn pushes down a little plunger piece (sorry, I'm not a tech guy) into the micro-switch that fires a short electrical single that causes the latch to release. There are some videos online that show that the white plastic piece can get gunked up and stop rotating. The fix there is to just clean it up. Mine, however, is clean and rotates just fine. Sadly, I discovered that after 135k miles, the end of the little white plastic lever has worn away just enough so that the plunger doesn't go down far enough to activate the micro-switch. As far as I can tell, that white plastic piece is a $200+ part because it only comes as an integrated part of the liftgate handle mechanism.

Solution? I put a small nail under the metal contact plate and bent the end down so now the middle bows up slightly - right at the end of the white plastic lever's travel when you pull the liftgate handle open. In other words, the metal contact plate now goes down further near the end point, which is where the plunger is located.

Of course, as with any DIY solution, this did not come without a problem. It originally worked a couple of times and then stopped. I discovered that in creating the up-bow in the middle of the metal plate, I had bent the end too far down so it wasn't letting the plunger return to the fully open position. Apparently, once you open the latch, to trigger the switch again the plunger on the switch must first go back to the fully open position. It's a pretty delicate balance, so I'm hoping I won't have to remove the panel to fiddle with it every couple weeks.

0 0 0

7. Re: Golf mk5 boot release fuse? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hey! I just tried bridging the connection on my mk5 gti. No luck. My rear wiper and reverse lights work. Just no power to actuator. Any clue on what my issue is? Also the key fob does not work at all even after replacing the battery

0 0 0

8. Re: Golf mk5 boot release fuse? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hey I just tried bridging the release wire in the connector. And the trunk did not open. I have power to reverse lights and wiper Just no power to the rear latch. My key fob does not work at all. Any ideas?

0 0 0

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123