Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Golf Mk5 Tow Bars - Q&A - All you need to know Guide!! Advice, Tips...

Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast
  1. Golf Mk5 Tow Bars - Q&A - All you need to know Guide!! Advice, Tips... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'd like to try to open up a thread soley dedicated to towbars. I know this is a very lightly touched area with such subjects as wiring, bumper cutting, availability, costs, brands etc, and there have been past posts on here about this subject in all manor of different areas.

Should Tow bar questions be put in one universal area or should there be a post in each model specific catorgory?

Anyway, back to the reason for this post.

I have recently been looking in to getting a tow bar for my mk5 golf, no problem... however I want a removable one and i have a colour coded lower skirt and i don't want a hole cutting in to it ruining the asthetic looks see here

Whilst in France this week i saw something that just had to be documented and showed. I know its not removable...

A mk5 golf WITH tow bar WITHOUT cutting, see here

I know it doesn't look the best, but its proof if your local fitter says otherwise.

I have no info regarding the brand. sorry

1 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Looks a bit rude to me, I'm not sure I want to touch it...

Try Ann Summers maybe...

Cheers,

Guy

1 1 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    or ...... its the VW swan neck...

You can get these fix and removable...

how ever you cant remove the electric hook ups tho..

RickT

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The Swan neck is fine for lighter loads, but they are known in towing circles to flex a little meaning they are not so good for heavy loads. Despite that, I wouldn't have thought they'd fit them if they weren't rated to the maximum towing capacity of the car. Maybe after countless hours of heavy use the metal would fatigue and snap, again that seems highly unlikely.

I like having the fixed towbar on the back of my car. I know that I can reverse into walls or people can gently nudge me when parking and the rear end is considerably more protected from damage.
    Passat Sport Estate 2001 1.9 TDI PD
    100k miles

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    LOL @ Huweth, i liek your thinking, my mum has been saved from countless prangs thanks to her towbar(the leaning metal stump at tescos bears testiment to this).

the only thing i can see benig a problem on that golf with the fixed towbar, is look how close to that bumper it is, you're not going to fit a very big trailer on there and thinking practically, it would only take one slip to end up with a 'modified' bumper, complete with embedded trailer.

i'd want some sort of protection there me thinks, not sure the normal 'plate' would do?

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Here is another example of a tow bar on a mk5 golf that i saw in penzance.
    The cut seems messy.

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    i guess its all about weight...

If your looking at towing a caravan go for a fixed.. if its a little trailler for the tip run or jet ski... get a swan neck..

if i remeber right.. the swan neck well hold upto the max towing weight.. but check that..

it looks like you have done your research... so the choice is yours.....

RickT

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, look for a genuine westfalia tow bar as its not visible at all when removed and there is no cutting whatsoever of any body panel...even the plug flips under the bumper reces...Hope this helps.

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've just sent the following email to Westfalia UK and Brink and towbarsdirect.co.uk. and CDFtowbars.co.uk (diytowbars.co.uk) Lets see what they say.

Good morning

Please could you send me via email to ******* and or ********** or post to ********, any information you have including clear images of tow bars fitted and preferably removable to VW Golf MK5’s as I am researching one for my car and I do not wish to have the bumper cut as it will ruin the aesthetic looks. I do not intend to tow anything larger than a twin axle box trailer.

Please take the time to look at the info I have gathered so far here https://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum//showthread.php?t=9482 and rest assured the info you supply may well be added

Regards

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    John Cooper of info@brinktowbars.co.uk was very quick to reply to my email and i have pleasure in posting the image he has kindly supplied.

Although it is quite dark, you can just make out the bumper cut and blanking plate.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast