Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Golf Mk5 Tow Bars - Q&A - All you need to know Guide!! Advice, Tips...

Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    A while ago I also emailed www.watling-towbars.co.uk with this question and response...

Question...
    My car, VW mk5 gt tdi golf. I am looking in to having a tow bar fitted to my mk5 golf. It must be a removable tow bar and it must be fitted without cutting any part of the rear bumper as it is 100% colour coded and I don't wish to be left with an unsightly hole ruining the aesthetic looks. I am an active member on various forums and I have read many bad reports about bumper cutting, we also share positive information about companies that can do and also those that can not. Please could you tell me if you can supply the necessary tow bar and costs.

Many thanks in advance of your prompt response.

Response...

I cannot find any detachable towbars available from the towbar manufacturers from whom we deal which do not have a bumper cut. Sometimes the cut is called “invisible” as it is at the lower part of the bumper and does not show. The detachable towbars for your vehicle require a “visible” bumper cut. Towbar manufacturers do try to design towbars without requiring bumper cuts, however sometimes this is unavoidable.

Regards

Jackie

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    www.towbarsdirect.co.uk have replied to my email with the following information, they have also supplied 2 pdf attachments but at 267kb and 420kb they appear too big to become any benefit to you ...

Good Afternoon

Thank you for your enquiry,

We use over ten different manufactures of towbars and the only make that has designed a towbar that doesn’t cut the bumper is Eurobars/SIARR. They have available both a standard two bolt flange towbar and a swanneck towbar (a picture of the swanneck is on your forum). The only problem with this towbar is availability in the UK. The towbar is made by SIARR of France and distributed in the UK by Eurobars who have problems importing enough of them to meet demand. We ourselves currently have two dozen on back order with Eurobars.

As mentioned earlier, all other towbars we have listed (not all the towbars we list on our master list are shown on www.towbarsdirect.co.uk) involve a bumper cut with all detachable towbars requiring a large cut in the centre of the lower skirt. Some makes such as Westfalia and Bosal recommend buying a pre-cut lower skirt from Volkswagen which comes with a cover plate as well, others such as Witter, GDW and Brink require you to cut the skirt yourself but do include the bumper cover which is black. There is a photo of these provided by John Cooper on your website. Westfalia state that the Westfalia detachable is the original equipment towbar supplied to Volkswagen dealers however I believe it is not the factory fitted towbar.

All the towbars listed are EC type approved up to the maximum towing capacity allowed by Volkswagen with I believe is 1600kg for the 4-Motion model. For details of towing weight see http://www.carpages.co.uk/guide/volk...golf-guide.asp where by clicking on a model all the technical data for come up with the towing weight being about half way down the page.

To clarify some issues that have been discussed in the forum:

· All towbars we list are rated upto the maximum towing capacity allowed by Volkswagen. This includes the swanneck designs which are normally what European car manufacturers' calibrations are based on.
    · The Westfalia detachable does cut the bumper unless you buy a new under skirt from VW which of course is pre-cut.

I’m afraid at this moment in time we do not have any photos of the Golf Mark V towbar, however I have listed all towbars we have available below along with links to the fitting instructions where possible.

TOWBARS – EC TYPE APPROVED FOR VOLKSWAGEN GOLF MK5 HATCH

FLANGE

Tow Trust (RRP £156.28) – Our Price £78.00 – see attachment TVW623 for fitting instructions
    Eurobars/SIARR (RRP £162.15) – Our Price £109.00
    PCT (RRP £162.15) – Our Price £109.00 – click here for fitting instructions
    Witter (RRP £162.15) – Our Price £109.00 – click here for fitting instructions
    Westfalia (RRP £153.93) – Our Price £107.00 – click here for fitting instructions
    Bosal (RRP £152.75) – Our Price £99.00 – click here for fitting instructions
    Brink (RRP £157.45) – Our Price £109.00 – click here for fitting instructions

SWANNECK

Eurobars/SIARR (RRP £151.58) – Our Price £109.00 see attachment Golf Golf+ swan for fitting instructions
    Bosal (RRP £164.50) – Our Price £99.00 – click here for fitting instructions
    Brink (RRP £167.44) – Our Price £137.00 – click here for fitting instructions
    Westfalia (RRP £121.03) – Our Price £84.00 – click here for fitting instructions

DETACHABLE

Westfalia – (RRP £253.80) – Our Price - £149.00 click here for fitting instructions
    Bosal (Not GTI) ( RRP £346.63) – Our Price £205.00 click here for fitting instructions
    Brink (RRP £338.99) – Our Price £237.00 click here for fitting instructions
    Witter (requires OE plate for GTI models see link for details) (RRP £338.99) – Our Price £237.00 click here for fitting instructions
    GDW (RRP 314.33) – Our Price £264.03

If you have any further questions please get back to us.

Yours

James, Tony, Sue & Paul

Towbars Direct
    Attached Images

1 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Today I emaild vw dealers in Tamworth, Nuneaton, Coventry and Stratford with the following.....

"Please could you tell me the cost of a rear bumper lower skirt complete with the cut out and blanking plate for the tow bar, all painted in reflex silver for a 2004 MK5 Golf GT TDI?

On top of this price, how much would the fitting and labour be?

Regards"

Only reply so far is from Tamworth is as follows....

The rear bumber spoiler only comes in black @ 42.47 + vat, The labour to fit is 38.19 + vat. In total £94.77

I'll update as the info comes in.

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Whoever did the cut on that blue golf above should never be allowed near a spanner again, I'd say it looks DIY but I suspect it isn't

Anyway, NATO hitch The only way you'll pull a tree
    You may think I'm being helpful yet sarcastic, this is only because I feel I need to help you to help yourself in the future

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,
    I have been having the same problem, trying to find a towbar for my MkV Golf that won't ruin the aesthetic look of the car.
    The Volkswagen Golf accessories brochure for Ireland lists a detachable towbar, that does not appear to require a bumper cut:

I contacted a couple of Volkswagen dealers in Ireland, and they quoted me an incredible €1,000 (£676) for the detachable towbar (including fitting, electrics, and VAT)!
    They said they could fit a fixed (non-detachable) towbar for €580 (£392), but that it would require a bumper cut.
    The reason they gave for the difference in cost is because the detachable version is much more difficult to fit, and because the detachable hitch costs more than its fixed counterpart. Here is the breakdown:
    Detachable: (Total: €995/£673)
    • Labour: €560 (£378)
    • Parts: €435 (£294)
      • Hitch: €290 (£196)
      • Electrics: €145 (£98)
    Fixed: (Total: €580/£392)
    • Labour: €360 (£243)
    • Parts: €220 (£148)
    I suspect that the original VW detachable towbar might be the same as the Westfalia towbar, though Westfalia in their reply to you indicated that their towbar required a bumper cut (even though their installation manual makes no mention of one), while the VW dealer told me it would not require any alteration to the bumper.
    So I think I have found a towbar that won't affect the appearance of the car, but it is so costly I am having difficulty justifying the expense.

0 0 0

6. Photo of a Bumper Cut 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I was driving home last night, when I pulled up behind a MkV Golf with a bumper cut at the lights. It didn't have a towbar attached at the time. Either the bumper cut had been made for a detachable towbar, or for a fixed towbar which had since been removed.
    Anyway, all I had to hand was my crappy camera phone, and I snapped this low-res photo before he pulled away: (click on the photo for a larger version)

The cut was quite large (I would say about 2"x4"), and very noticeable against the silver exhaust underneath. TBH, it looked ghastly.

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thank you for your information and photos. I'm going to look in to this more closely. Ive not seen many MK5 golfs with a tow bar, so it comes as no suprise that we only have 3 documented examples. Yes, from the photo you supply, although not the best under the circumstances, you can deffo tell that it looks a tad nasty.

0 0 0

8. We have a video to watch 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'd like to further my thanks to rainsensor for posting the vw accessories link on the tow bar. Carefull reading of the information gives us the manufacturer ORIS. I've located their website http://www.oris-gmbh.de/english/

and here is a rather interesting video

I'll now try to locate a retailer and also find out which VAG cars the do tow bars for.

BEn

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm just waiting on the OK for me to send the following email to the manufacturers of the above ^ tow bar. Their email is info@oris-gmbh.de

Hello,

I'm doing research to share with an online community, (www.vwaudiforum.co.uk) in to the fitting of removable tow bars primarily on to VW Mk5 golf's and to other cars of the VAG group, VW, Audi, Seat, Skoda. One of the parameters I've set myself for this research is that any removable tow bar must be able to be fitted and fully functional without the need to cut any part of the bumper.

I am hoping to be able to compile a list of VAG vehicles that can be fitted with a removable tow bar and with your assistance I was hoping you could supply a up to date list of VAG vehicles that you produce a removable tow bar for.

I have visited your website www.oris-gmbh.de/english/ and can only locate a list of manufacturers, not specific models.

I have also been passed information about a tow bar you produce for VW Golf MK5 (http://www.volkswagen-accessories.ie/towbar_detachable2) yet your website doesn't mention the MK5

The reasons why I have taken it upon myself to do this research in particular in to removable tow bars can be located here https://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=48633#post48633 as you can see there is evidence of very poor workmanship when it comes to the cutting of bumpers and the overall look of the rear of the car when fitted.

I should like it known that I have checked that it is permissible to use the vwaudiforum name in this email and I trust that it will be acceptable to publish your response to this email with the rest of my research on www.vwaudiforum.co.uk

Many Thanks

0 0 0

10. Exclamation I think i've cracked it!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I just found this website http://www.bosal.com/international/?...m&lang=english note the AK40/41

BOSAL INTERNATIONAL

and from their catalouges section i've found this (you have to select make and model of car from list) http://www.catalogue.bosal.com/pages...rspecnr=900113 its the 4th one in the list AK40/41 and the bumper cut is invisible

here is the pdf download http://www.catalogue.bosal.com/pdf/pdf_mi/048193.pdf

it mentions about removing existing spoiler and replacing with new..... I'll look further.

0 0 0

Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast