Notices

User Tag List

Thread: How do I open the petrol cap?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Question How do I open the petrol cap? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My wife picked up her new 09 Golf 1.6S today. Seems very nice but...we didn't work out how to open the petrol cap.

I sussed it wasn't locked and I could just open it with my finger nail. I saw there was a button that must somehow pop it open under the petrol flap on the non-hinge side but no idea how to operate it.

The wife just called from the forecourt (yeh yeh wrong I know but she had the baby in the car too!) and said she could not open it. She eventually used a credit card to lever it open.

My mates 07 golf has a lockable one and a button on the door quite low down but she (and I earlier) couldn't find a button.

Maybe it is on the passengers side just like the handbrake seems to be!

Cheers if you know and cheers if you don't (for reading this).

Macker6464
    Passat Estate R-Line 2.0 TDI BMT 150PS 6-speed Manual 5 Door
    09 Golf 1.6S (the wife's!)
    (Previously 07 Passat Estate 2.0 TDI 140 Sport)

0 0 0

2. Re: How do I open the petrol cap? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by macker6464 View Post
    My wife picked up her new 09 Golf 1.6S today. Seems very nice but...we didn't work out how to open the petrol cap.

I sussed it wasn't locked and I could just open it with my finger nail. I saw there was a button that must somehow pop it open under the petrol flap on the non-hinge side but no idea how to operate it.

The wife just called from the forecourt (yeh yeh wrong I know but she had the baby in the car too!) and said she could not open it. She eventually used a credit card to lever it open.

My mates 07 golf has a lockable one and a button on the door quite low down but she (and I earlier) couldn't find a button.

Maybe it is on the passengers side just like the handbrake seems to be!

Cheers if you know and cheers if you don't (for reading this).

Macker6464
    Just press on the edge and it will click open.Or better still, check the manual that comes with the car!!

1 0 0

3. Re: How do I open the petrol cap? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I am disappointed that they have done away with the release switch in the drivers door.

I think it is just a push release system now.

0 0 0

4. Re: How do I open the petrol cap? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ah ha. That might be the answer. Never thought of that. Cheers, it seems very likely that that is the solution as the button is a push to open and push to close jobbie.

Reading the manual would be a good idea...I will pass my wife's mobile number on to you so you can call her and tell her that one ...lol. She is on a typical run around day with baby in tow - the new car has not been home yet.

Bed time reading I guess!

I will keep you posted on success or otherwise tonight but thanks for replying.

Macker6464

0 0 0

5. Re: How do I open the petrol cap? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dataconn View Post
    I am disappointed that they have done away with the release switch in the drivers door.

I think it is just a push release system now.
    As already stated. Car must first be unlocked (as you'd expect) and then press in the left hand edge of the circular flap and hey presto.
    Do not force it if car is locked or try to close the flap (should it be open) when the car is locked, as you'll damage the latching system, no doubt.
    Last edited by HHGTTG; 10-03-2010 at 08:04 PM.
    2016 VW Golf MK7 Match Edition 1.4TSI 125ps 5dr in Reflex Silver.

1 0 0

6. Re: How do I open the petrol cap? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    There is a video you can show your wife on this website:

http://www.ownerwelcome.com/

Just click on the picture of the Golf and scroll through the various videos... You will eventually see one for the fuel release cap.

1 0 0

7. Re: How do I open the petrol cap? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    On a similar note to what HHGTTG says if she comes up with she can't close it. Make sure its open as the locking pin holds the flap out. Had this one with my OH.
    Mk6 Golf 2009 Deep Black Pearl 2.0 GTTDI 140, Vancouvers

0 0 0

8. Re: How do I open the petrol cap? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers everyone. All it needed was a press in the right place and it popped open. It is not the nicest of actions though and needs several strategic presses to close it.

Progress??? Not so sure.

0 0 0

9. Re: How do I open the petrol cap? 
    JoseSpring Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by macker6464 View Post
    It is not the nicest of actions though and needs several strategic presses to close it.

Progress??? Not so sure.
    Hmmmm. Mine's as smooth as silk. Hate to say this, but you might be suffering the effect of prising it open with a credit card :S

0 0 0

10. Re: How do I open the petrol cap? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Been there, done that - at first fill up, I was stood at the car like an idiot trying to work it out - only after 10 minutes, did I drive away and read the manual...

And then went to a different petrol station
    Audi A3 Sportback 2.0 TDi SE: Misano red, Kinetic 17s, Comfort package, Storage package, non smoking package, Nav, Upgrade to Audi sound system, Debadged
    Previous: VW Golf Mk6, 2009, 2.0 TDi GT, Candy White, Luxury pack, 18" Bilbaos, Tyre Pressure Monitor - VW Passat B6, 2005, 2.0 TDi SE, Metallic Navy Blue, Front/rear sensors, chrome grille, black leather

0 0 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast