1. Question Phaeton Headlight Converter 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'll be taking my Phaeton to France next week. (And vice versa.) I don't anticipate night driving but I want to be legal. Is there a headlight switch or do I need bits of paper? The lights are xenon but not bi-xenon.

The Handbook says paper. VW accessories manual online volkswagenaccessories.co.uk, on the other hand, lists converters for various different models but not Phaeton. Why would the manufacturers not produce the necessary parts?

It seems crazy to be sticking bits onto the glass. On the other hand, the headlights are completely enclosed and I'd be concerned about them doing a Janet Jackson if I tried messing about with them myself when I disembark. I've looked at the advice on the Passat forum and it's obviously not a clear cut issue.

Has any Phaeton owner been abroad (I'm talking continental driving, not sex change) and can you help, please?

Thanks

Clive

0 0 0

2. Re: Phaeton Headlight Converter 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm going to be in the same position when I take delivery next month, mine will have the BI-Zenon lamp unit has anybody got the answer please???

Thanks
    Steve

0 0 0

3. Re: Phaeton Headlight Converter 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry Steve.

I changed in September 07 to a 3 litre diesel with bi-xenon but that didn't help with the lights, though the fuel economy certainly improved. Still have to use sticky bits so far as I know.

Clive.

1 0 0

4. Re: Phaeton Headlight Converter 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks Clive,
    it does seems odd to me that the so called top of the range car has not got a switch to change the beam direction and we still have to put beam benders/black tape on. 4 year old Range Rovers have switches on one on top in the middle of each lamp, does anyone know if the A8 is the same?
    How has your car been in the last 3 years? mine will be a 3.0 TDI with the bi-xenons/burr wood/Helios wheels/rear camera some people seem to be having a lot of minor problems.

Regards
    Steve

0 0 0

5. Re: Phaeton Headlight Converter 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have had some problems yes, Steve. My new Jaguar XF arrives next month. Email me on clive.russell.associates@nireland.com for my reasons.

1 0 0

6. Re: Phaeton Headlight Converter 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks Steve. I tried emailing you but apparently I have only 6 (now 7) posts on this site and I need to graduate to 10 before they'll let me contact you direct.

Thanks.

Clive.

1 0 0

7. Re: Phaeton Headlight Converter 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had a VW Passat W8 4.0 from 2003 to 2008 and travelled to France regularly with it.

The Bi-Xenons had a switch behind a rubber grommet in the back of the headlight assembly which you could switch over with the use of a small screwdriver, changing the beams for travelling in Europe. You did have to search for it, but it was there.

While I don't yet own a Phaeton, I would be amazed if there was not a similar facility on those...

0 0 0