1. Emissions workshop - warning light 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My car is a 2003 Passat TDi 130, 55000 miles. I have had it a couple of months and have had no problems. This morning a warning message came on - "Emissions Workshop". I stopped and started several times, the warning came on every time I started and the orange engine symbol was lit all the time. The car ran fine.

Took it into the dealer. A mechanic started the car - the warning did not come on and the symbol did not light up. He tried several times. I have driven it home since with no problems.

He said he was surprised as VW warnings normally stay on. He said I should take it back if it happens again. Any one else had this ?

Peter

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had it come on too. I took it to the dealer and he quoted me £1500 for a new turbo but from looking at the forums I think the were ripping me off.

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks Chris

This morning the light was back on - this afternoon its gone out. I have now realised that I filled up on friday with diesel from Tesco - hope its not more duff fuel

Peter

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterB View Post
    My car is a 2003 Passat TDi 130, 55000 miles. I have had it a couple of months and have had no problems. This morning a warning message came on - "Emissions Workshop". I stopped and started several times, the warning came on every time I started and the orange engine symbol was lit all the time. The car ran fine.

Took it into the dealer. A mechanic started the car - the warning did not come on and the symbol did not light up. He tried several times. I have driven it home since with no problems.

He said he was surprised as VW warnings normally stay on. He said I should take it back if it happens again. Any one else had this ?

Peter
    I had this happen several months ago on my 2004 1.900 TD Octavia 130 and I rang Skoda dealer. They said if the warning light was orange and not red it was not a critical problem so I asked them to look at it during the MOT. The light did not come on when they checked it so they did nothing. I have tried using BP Ultimate Diesel but has not stopped the intermittant appearance of the warning. Unless I can get any advice elsewhere, I shall ring the Skoda garage again and see what they say,
    Regards,
    John Davies

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thank you John

Took mine in to the dealer when the warning was next on. They replaced a temperature sensor and the problem has not recurred (fingers crossed!). On my last Honda the only thing that ever failed was a sensor - modern cars seem to have so many of them I guess its not surprising that they fail at times.

Peter

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    could be a lambda sensor playing up,not sure how many faults this lamp covers but mine recently came on for a camshaft timing problem,best to get the code read if it stays on long enough
    2002 1.8t sport estate

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterB View Post
    Thank you John

Took mine in to the dealer when the warning was next on. They replaced a temperature sensor and the problem has not recurred (fingers crossed!). On my last Honda the only thing that ever failed was a sensor - modern cars seem to have so many of them I guess its not surprising that they fail at times.

Peter
    Thanks Peter, I will take mine in and hope it's just as simple to fix as yours. Will let you know,
    Regards,
    John

0 0 0

8. Sorted Mine! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi there, i had exactly the same problem on my B5 TDI and the garage (independant) took a look at it for me. Turns out it was the EGR (engine gas recycle) valve was completely gunked up and the pipe joining it needed replacing. Instead of simply replacing it (£250 approx just for part!) they cleaned it out instead. Total cost was £80 quid all in and i haven't had a problem since.I just know VW would have replaced it and charged me a fourtune in the process. Hope this helps

Cheers

Jez

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jezdye View Post
    Hi there, i had exactly the same problem on my B5 TDI and the garage (independant) took a look at it for me. Turns out it was the EGR (engine gas recycle) valve was completely gunked up and the pipe joining it needed replacing. Instead of simply replacing it (£250 approx just for part!) they cleaned it out instead. Total cost was £80 quid all in and i haven't had a problem since.I just know VW would have replaced it and charged me a fourtune in the process. Hope this helps

Cheers

Jez
    Thanks Jez,
    I think I will try to locate the pipe you had cleaned and have a look at it myself. Do you know exactly where this pipe is on the engine?

Cheers,
    John

0 0 0

10. EGR Pipe Location 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just found this link on a Yank TDI site regarding the EGR valve - it seems it's in the air filter box!

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=172724

Cheers

Jez
    Last edited by jezdye; 14-06-2007 at 03:42 PM. Reason: update

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast