Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burnleywhite View Post
    Glad I found this thread. I have an 03 2l SE petrol. Over the last few months things have been going a tad iffy on the electrics front. Front N/S window stopped working (an horrendous grinding /screaming when I accidentally press the button so I assume summat has broken), then the rear N/S door stopped locking/unlocking on the fob, wont open every time now even when the handle is pulled inside the car (this has also happened on the O/S rear door too but only now and again, and when I lock the car sometimes the lights flash, sometimes they don't. Also it can take 2-3 presses of the fob to open all the doors (those that work) sometimes.

Pity because I love the car. It looks classy and is a pleasure to drive, and I have had it 3 years now with not a single penny spent outside servicing. Too good to be true probably.

Your N/S window screaming sounds like a breaking/broken window regulator, mine was broken but by the time I owned the car the regulator and become tangled in the motor cog, and stripped it, paid £40 for the motor and a bit more for the regulator from GSF or Eurocar parts.

The rest I guess is CCM stuff.

0 0 0

2. Re: Passat water leaks - wet carpets 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Good "How To", just like to add, remove the rubber valves in the plenum chamber, they are a waste of space, I left mine in the first time then suffered another flood, they are now history and contrary to suggestions they serve no purpose.

0 0 0

3. Re: Passat water leaks - wet carpets 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers gents. I thought that was what is wrong with the window, did start stripping it out in the summer but it was getting the better of me so I sacked it. Have to wait for the weather to improve/days get longer before I start having a look at the CCM, has to be done on the street so need to, hopefully, get it sorted first time.

0 0 0

4. Re: Passat water leaks - wet carpets 
    peterpaulogrady Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Invictagunner View Post
    Having had two Passats and much pain will pass on my experience.
    Things to check for are:-
    1) Blocked drain holes under battery shelf
    2) Leaking pollen filter housing gasket
    3) Leaking gasket under the ECU housing box

If wetness is on the passenger side primary suspects are 1) and 2)
    If wetness is on the drivers side primary suspects are 1) and 3)

Any amount of dirt rotted leaves etc can cause a problem in these areas. Just because the drain holes are clear this does not mean there is no dirt problem. What happens is that dirt also accumulates around the channels to the side and back of the ECU and pollen filter housing. This causes a local build up of water before it drains away through the main holes - result is that it finds its way past the relatively poor pollen housing seal and or ECU housing seal. If you park near/under trees keep the whole of this area really clean on a regular basis.

If the passenger side gets wet - big trouble. The Convenience Control Module (CCM) is likely to be wet. This leads to troubles with the alarm, central lcoking, windows etc. Get this properly dried out and sorted before it get worse.

VW are aware of these problems and recognise the weakness of these seals. If 1) is clear and the problem is caused by 2) or 3) the dealer can fix the problem under warranty. There is an internal VW information note 443/06 sent to dealers in July 2006. Any car serviced after this time by a VW dealer should have been checked and if necessary the pollen housing seal replaced using new materials and the carpets and CCM checked. In the US there is a large court case aiming to sue VW for problems relating to inadequate body design, water leaks and in extreme cases brake failure on some models. In the UK there are some limited recalls as a result of the possible brake problems.(servo pipe rots through).

Finally to fix the problems properly you need to do the following:-
    1) remove the windscreen wiper blades - can need a small pullar or two flat blade screw drives twisted from each side to create a lever effect. Once they have been removed once use some grease on the spindles to ease future removal.
    2) Pull back the bonnet seal so that the plastic cover for the battery etc can be pulled away from the slot in the windscreen cowl.
    3) Remove the two clips supporting the plastic windscreen cowl.
    4) Gently lever out the cowl from a slot in the base of the windscreen by placing a protective cloth at the bottom of the screen and gently levering the cowl away from the screen by twisting a flat blade screwdriver. Start at the drivers side.
    5) Manoeuvre the cowl from the car - you need to gently bend it a bit but be careful not to break it.
    6) Now follow your nose to gain access to drain holes, pollen housing and ECU housing as necessary. There are many articles on the web if you need further info just search Google.

Good luck - I hope what I have found helps you - I have had to learn the hard way and still learning!!! I am sure there are other leaks through windows etc. but it is the under bonnet area that has always hurt me.

If the car is full of water the following may help - detail relates to a 2002 Passat estate.

I have found the following method is the easiest to get rid of the majority of the water:-

1) park the car with the front higher than the back - the more the better!
    2) remove the rear seat by removing the plastic cover over the hinge - one screw covered by a plastic cap. Only need to do the side with water in it. Remove seat by driving out the hinge pins which are now free to move.
    3) remove one screw holding side trim to the floor under the seat.
    4) remove the small plastic caps covering the screws that hold the plastic covers for the seat runners. Remove the screws and runners.
    5) It is now possible to manoeuvre the carpets from the side trim and raise so that the floor drain holes are visible.
    6) Carefully remove one or both of the drain hole bungs and let out the water.
    7) With the carpet supported by a couple of blocks of wood it is possible to squeeze water from the foam and generally extract as much water as possible. You can reach just past the rear heating ducts.
    8) leave to dry for as long as required. Temporarily put the drain plugs back in if going out in the rain.
    9) when the carpets are as dry as you can get them replace the bungs with a smear of vaseline or waxoil or similar to ensure a good seal. Replace if they are damaged.
    10) Refit the carpet and put the trim and seats back in place. Not as good as taking everything out but at lease is easy to do without taking half the car to pieces.
    11) In my experence the drivers front seems to dry in situ reasonably OK (car parked uphill!) with no great risk to other components. The passenger side (RHD) is different as a result of the CCM becoming wet as mentioned in the first part of the post.

Good luck
    wet carpets usually mean you have lost the drive belt off your air conditioning.look under the car you shold be able to see the pulleys

0 0 0

5. Re: Passat water leaks - wet carpets 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peterpaulogrady View Post
    wet carpets usually mean you have lost the drive belt off your air conditioning.look under the car you shold be able to see the pulleys
    OK, you have me beaten, where is the logic?

0 0 0

6. Re: Passat water leaks - wet carpets 
    peterpaulogrady Guest
    i dont understand it myself but my brother inlaw had the wet floor behind the drivers seat and the air conditioning was faulty and it turned out that a drive belt some how came loose

0 0 0

7. Re: Passat water leaks - wet carpets 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    i dont understand it myself but my brother inlaw had the wet floor behind the drivers seat and the air conditioning was faulty and it turned out that a drive belt some how came loose
    I once ate an ice cream on a very long run and had a sore foot 40 miles later, but I doubt they were connected in any way!

0 0 0

8. Re: Passat water leaks - wet carpets 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Never ever believe anything your in-laws tell you, your welfare is
    not their concern.

Regards
    Jim

0 0 0

9. Re: Passat water leaks - wet carpets 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks so much for this detailed information. I followed your instructions, parked the car on an incline, lifted the carpet and found that the rear foot areas were saturated. We then used 15 old towels to drain it and left the car with the doors open for the afternoon.

I did it without too much trouble. Just lifted the rear seat and pulled the carpet forward. I had to remove two black plastic covers on the front seat rails first. Then I propped the carpet up, mopped up the water and let it dry.

See pic below.

passat_left1.jpg

While the car was drying I opened the bonnet and tried to clean out the well under the battery. That was flooded, too. I didn't remove the battery but just shoved some old towels down there and prodded them around with a wire coat hanger. That seemed to do the trick and the water went down and I noticed a steady drip under the car.

So far so good.

Then it rained and when it stopped I noticed drips in the foot well around the wires. So it seems that water is still getting in via the wires - on both sides. Does anyone know where the wires enter the car so I can attack it with sealant?

See pic below.

passat2.jpg

Thanks in anticipation. And, once more, thanks for this brill forum and such helpful posts.

0 0 0

10. Re: Passat water leaks - wet carpets 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I think you will find that the seal under the ECU housing is leaking. It then runs down the wires or any other channel it can find. Ideally you need to remove the battery and clear out the drain holes under the battery tray. If this area fills up with water it will find its way into the car somewhere or other. As suggested by one of the earlier replies it probably does no harm to discard the rubber skirts that VW put in the holes. You may also need to get the gasket under the ECU replaced. To do it properly it needs the new seal material now specified by VW. Dealers know all about this problem. If you ring a local dealer and ask for a quote to replace both the pollen filter housing seal and the ECU seal and then haggle, the job can cost about £170. This is not that bad considering the seals themselves are not cheap. If you try to do the job yourself you need to disconnect the main harness from the ECU - I decided this was a step to far without the dealer diagnostic kit to bring it back to life again. Looking back it was £170 well spent as (touch wood) the problem seems to have been solved - although it is still necessary to keep checking that the drain holes are clear.

0 0 0

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast