Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigCol View Post
    Wrong.

They are solid metal and will polish up. I have done this sucessfully on both my old Passat B5.5 and my Audi A6.

Dealers will quite obviously want to replace them as it is better for them i.e. minimum effort for maximum return. If they can recover their outlay as a warranty claim from VW or Audi UK they will.

If you have to pay for them yourself and they are not covered by the warranty then you should try and polish them up.

WRONG - They are cheap imitation chrome covered plastic parts with a lacquer over them. I looked at several damaged ones in the parts store of the dealership. The ends ) having been dropped from a slight heght end on into storage ) if you look closely have very small fine hairline cracks through the lacquer. When have you ever seen this on chrome, either expensive or cheap stuff??
    I mis spoke myself when I said I had 3 sets replaced under warranty. In actual fact it was one and the other 2 sets ( 4 per set ) were replaced as a goodwill gesture from the dealer.

Anyhow col....I think we'll have to agree to differ on this one!

MY2008 (58) XJ X358 2.7 Tdvi Sovereign
    LWB remapped to 245bhp, Black, Ivory leather interior with black piping, 20" Alloys
    MY2007 Audi A6 2.0 Tdi SE (BRE)
    176bhpStratos Blue.Front & Rear park assist,Comms Pack High,19" RS4 alloys,Rear tints,Dipped bulbs 80W,Mainbeams & Foglights 100W,Number plate LED's,Interior LED's

0 0 0

2. Re: Audi Chrome trim cleaning 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC64 View Post
    WRONG - They are cheap imitation chrome covered plastic parts with a lacquer over them. I looked at several damaged ones in the parts store of the dealership. The ends ) having been dropped from a slight heght end on into storage ) if you look closely have very small fine hairline cracks through the lacquer. When have you ever seen this on chrome, either expensive or cheap stuff??
    I mis spoke myself when I said I had 3 sets replaced under warranty. In actual fact it was one and the other 2 sets ( 4 per set ) were replaced as a goodwill gesture from the dealer.

Anyhow col....I think we'll have to agree to differ on this one!
    What car exactly ? Looks like a C6 A6 in the picture above for which I cannot comment.

They may have fitted newer cheaper stuff on newer cars. The Passat B5.5 and Audi A6 C5 certainly had solid metal strips.

0 0 0

3. Re: Audi Chrome trim cleaning 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    A6 C6 Col....

LWB remapped to 245bhp, Black, Ivory leather interior with black piping, 20" Alloys
    176bhpStratos Blue.Front & Rear park assist,Comms Pack High,19" RS4 alloys,Rear tints,Dipped bulbs 80W,Mainbeams & Foglights 100W,Number plate LED's,Interior LED's

0 0 0

4. Re: Audi Chrome trim cleaning 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC64 View Post
    A6 C6 Col....
    There we go then

We are both wrong but both right
    The older stuff had solid metal and the newer stuff doesn't.

0 0 0

5. Re: Audi Chrome trim cleaning 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Guarantee its sumthin to do with saving the environment
    Jeeesh, when I think of the (must be thousands ) of these trims that have had to be replaced, all the extra miles back n forth to the dealers etc etc.......probably woulda been better using REAL chrome strips in the first place
    Last edited by JimC64; 11-05-2011 at 11:52 PM.

0 0 0

6. Re: Audi Chrome trim cleaning 
    alka-seltzer Guest
    Funny I spotted this thread as I sorted mine, albeit temporarily.

I tried Autosol & Menzerna Final Finish applied by hand, then the Menz applied by machine and no joy.

Thought I'd give Autoglym Bumper Gel a go and it's worked a treat.

Admittedly it doesn't last long, but it has brought the bars up to a cracking finish.

Same theory as the baby oil I guess, however not as sticky.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Nick

0 0 0

7. Re: Audi Chrome trim cleaning 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I think the manual says not to use an alkaline based shampoo as this can bring on the milkyness

0 0 0

8. Re: Audi Chrome trim cleaning 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Would a rubbing compound do the job? My chrome pack is dull and cloudy, I tried Autosol Polish, but it never got rid of the rain marks!
    For Sale: VW Passat 2.0 TDI Sport

0 0 0

9. Re: Audi Chrome trim cleaning 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    trust me - straight from my master Audi Tech - kitchen roll and WD40 - as used in the workshop !!!!

0 0 0

10. Re: Audi Chrome trim cleaning 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well what can i say, for a quick fix WD40 does the job, you can still see the marks if you look close enough, but did all the chrome in 5 minutes so if it has to be done regularly then its not a problem. i did try some 1200 wet and dry paper with some autosol on an inconspicous small area and it wasnt a success ....

0 0 0

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast