1. Re: DPF regen - hot turbo 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Brill - failed injector, DPF finished, maybe tandem pump too... All I need is for my BRD engine to have chain oil pump?? It better be a gear drive. How many more common and expensive faults has the 2.0TDi got?

Rant over. Sorry about that. Cheers for the advice anyway.

So if I check diesel return to tank is clean the tandem pump could still be leaking? Sounds like it would be more difficult to check if it leaks to the sump other than what you say about oil level. For now I'll keep checking the level.

Patrick

0 0 0

2. Re: DPF regen - hot turbo 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Why do think I drive the 8 valve 1.9 tdi.
    If the oil level increases then its leaking but if you inspect the fuel lines or filter there will always be soot content which darkens the fuel and only by emptying the filter can you assess if excess oil is present.
    vag diagnostics, retrofits and general repairs

0 0 0

3. Re: DPF regen - hot turbo 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Is the pump about £300 and is it easy to fit? Do you recommend genuine VAG part or other?

Can't see why soot gets in fuel lines. Does it blow between the injector and the head into the fuel return passages?

0 0 0

4. Re: DPF regen - hot turbo 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Can't see why soot gets in fuel lines. Does it blow between the injector and the head into the fuel return passages?

Spot on.

0 0 0

5. Re: DPF regen - hot turbo 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    That's interesting as I reckon it also leaks the other way. When the car's just done a regen, the next cold start usually does a kind of missing for about the first three seconds. After it's had a couple of runs, it doesn't do it. This has happened since I changed the injector. I think the replacement one isn't seated quite perfect (like you warned a while ago). When there' s a bit of soot in the head it blocks the leak but the high temp of regen burns it all off and allows it to leak again. It doesn't seem to do it with modified DPF as there have been no regens.

Better call it a day now or I'll bore you all stupid with my ramblings.

Patrick

0 0 0

6. Re: DPF regen - hot turbo 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Patrick, out of interest what is your occupation?

0 0 0

7. Re: DPF regen - hot turbo 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    800deg C is red hot !
    How many unattended cars are going to catch fire ?

0 0 0

8. Re: DPF regen - hot turbo 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    The temperature will only rise to 800 deg C in regen mode but if you force the ecu value to show a invalid content then the dpf could melt.

0 0 0

9. Re: DPF regen - hot turbo 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by a8 tech View Post
    Patrick, out of interest what is your occupation?
    See my page.

0 0 0

10. Re: DPF regen - hot turbo 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    300km regen done today. Is this the last big milestone for the modified DPF?

On way to work this morning I noticed a DPF regen (mileage about 190miles since refitting DPF). Nothing like as rough as they used to be though. Smooth through 1600revs which used to be really twitchy. From what I could tell it went on for about the last 10minutes of 12 mile journey. Couldn't be sure it was completed and so half expected it to do it again tonight.... but it didn't.

VCDS now shows 35km since last successful regen and rising. So I guess this was the 300km regen that I have read about (see attached pdf for "mileage controlled regen"). The standard software calls one every 300km if no other need to regen occurs. My local dealer didn't know this function existed.

So, am I out of the woods? Quite happy to have a short regen a couple of times every tankfull to keep everything clean. If it lasts a thousand miles, I'll recommend this fix to anyone faced with a £1500 DPF bill. There will be many people out there in this boat as the miles start to clock up on these TDi 170's. How many 120k+ milers are there out there?

The choices are:
    1. New DPF £1000 + labour
    2. DPF off remap + new straight through/hollowed out standard downpipe £1500/£500.
    3. Modify the DPF matrix. Labour only + £105 ash mass ECU reset at dealers.

(Still planning to get my ash mass reset done as it keeps the VCDS readings sensible - soot values are off the bottom of the scale at the mo. I am told it is not possible with VCDS/VAGCOM as the adaption channels are not known)

I'll be happy to pass on more detail to anyone who wants to give this a go.

Thanks for listening folks!

Patrick
    Attached Files

0 0 0

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast