Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Engine Oil Change - To flush or not to flush...

1. Arrow Engine Oil Change - To flush or not to flush... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi

Searched a few threads and there are a few 'do not flush the engine during service'.

I have a 110 1.9 TDI A4 Avant & am about to service it. This will be the first service I do on this car since buying it so I don't know how often it was serviced before.

So, do I use engine flush or just change the engine oil again in a couple hundred miles again to try get the crud, if there is any, out?

Cheers for your input

0 0 0

2. Re: Engine Oil Change - To flush or not to flush... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Flushed my '97 TDi90 last summer. It's done 175k. No I'll effects.
    I was worried it may do more harm than good at the time - weakening seals/gaskets. Main aim was to be sure oilways aren't blocking up.

I'd give the flusher a go.

Cheers

0 0 0

3. Re: Engine Oil Change - To flush or not to flush... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    Diesel oil has a lot of detergents in it compared to petrol oil,so no need to flush if you use good oil and keep to the schedule.
    Alan.

A6 Avant (C7) 3.0 TFSI Quattro S-Tronic
    APR St1 Custom Exhaust - now gone
    VW T6 150 DSG Camper £££

0 0 0

4. Re: Engine Oil Change - To flush or not to flush... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok, will just try oil & filter change & see what oil looks like when I change it.

My oil temp gauge sometimes climbs quickly to 120 - 160 then after a few seconds suddenly drops back to the normal 80-90 C? Randomly does this.

Was thinking maybe small blockage going thru or possible sensor fault?
    Will try sensor first, after oil change... I brought the car a few weeks ago so maybe a faulty sensor which never played up when I test drove it.
    Hope its not the engine....?

Cheers

0 0 0

5. Re: Engine Oil Change - To flush or not to flush... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    I have flushed in the past, but I understand your concerns regards damaging gaskets. Flushes like STP are basically strong solvent based products, and probably more suited for high mileage neglected engines.

Regardless of the oil you put in - it will be dirty in a matter of miles. Drive the car so it reaches the normal operating temperature. Prior to this - remove the plastic engine undertray. Switch off the engine and pull the sump plug immediately (also open filler cap). While you're doing other maintenance bits 'n' bobs leave it to drain completely.

Refill with the best oil you can afford and stick to service intervals.
    2016 BMW i3 REx (25k)
    2012 A4 Allroad Quattro 2.0 TDI (55k)
    2003 A2 1.4 TDI SE (166k) sold
    2001 B5 A4 2.5 TDI Avant Quattro Sport, (173k), sold
    1995 B4 80 1.9 TDI Avant SE, (175k), sold

0 0 0

6. Re: Engine Oil Change - To flush or not to flush... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    In regard to using a "flush", I was told by a turbo charger re- build expert that a flush will drag all the crappy gunge right through the turbo and potentially cause irreversible damage to the unit.
    As said above if you feel the need to be over thorough, drop the oil, fill with a cheap oil ,run her to temp and drop again, repeat if you feel necessary,. When you feel that most of the gunge is gone re-fill with good stuff and a quality filter and bobs your uncle

Stuart
    A6 2.4 SE (2000)S3 1.8T (2001)80 Coupe 2.3 (1991)
    A3 1.8T sport (1997)A4 3.0 QST (2002)
    80 Coupe 2.6S (1995)A4 Cab 2.4 sport (2002) Another 2.6 '95 coupe in byzanz purple
    '88 type 89 90 saloon kv 5 pot A4 1.8T 2001

0 0 0

7. Re: Engine Oil Change - To flush or not to flush... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    My oil temp gauge sometimes climbs quickly to 120 - 160 then after a few seconds suddenly drops back to the normal 80-90 C?

Cheers[/QUOTE]

This seems like a sender fault or the wiring to it.
    Alan.

A6 Avant (C7) 3.0 TFSI Quattro S-Tronic
    APR St1 Custom Exhaust - now gone
    VW T6 150 DSG Camper £££

0 0 0

8. Re: Engine Oil Change - To flush or not to flush... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers for all the imput guys.

I think I'll go down the change oil for cheap type, run couple hundred miles then change again for good stuff with filter - thats what I do for my Celica GT4.

About the oil temp - other day did it again & I tapped the inst display & the needle instantly dropped to 80ish degrees, flicked back to about 120 then settled back at 80. Not done it again for a while - looks like its in the instrument cluster. Am thinking of fitting an auxillary combined oil temp/pressure gauge via an oil filter adaptor like I have on my GT4. Will know for sure whats going on with my engine oil then :-)

Cheers

0 0 0