1. Very high mileage A6 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, I'm new here and was recommended to join as I will probably get the info I need on here. So here goes.

I am thinking of buying a 2005 A6 SE Quattro with all the toys fitted. It's in lovely condition,inside and out, full service history but its got just over 400,000 miles on the clock. It's been used as a chauffeur car so 95% of the miles are motorway. I know the owner and as you would expect, anything that has needed doing has been done straight away. Finally, he is a good driver, does not race but can make progress.

My problem is that I have no idea what it's worth. He told me to make him an offer but I don't want to insult him or pay over the odds....can anyone help/advise please?

Cheers

Boxers
    0 0 0

2. Re: Very high mileage A6 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Which engine?

Not going to be worth much at all though is it.
    0 0 0

3. Re: Very high mileage A6 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'd take into account what you think you could get for it once you had finished with it and make an offer accordingly.
    0 0 0

4. Re: Very high mileage A6 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    difficult to judge....do you know how much he has spent on it recently? clutch? same gearbox? does it leak oil/fliuds? with a car thats done as many miles as that its more agout buying with your eyes (and ears) and knowing the cars history. Personally, I wouldn't pay more than £3k (and i may be being generous!!) as you have to expect to have some repair bills over the year. I would have thought its worth less than £10k with average miles let alone 400K!!!!
    0 0 0

5. Re: Very high mileage A6 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Blimmin eck, thats a fair old mileage, a testament to the car. Anyway, you say it looks good but its being sold presumably because its no longer economic to repair (its either gone wrong or going wrong) Otherwise he would drive it into the ground. Take that view and its worth very little. A clocker's delight no less. But what to bid, I would guess a couple of grand??? I wouldnt be worried about offending him, he probably has a figure in mind if he's sold other high mileage cars. Bear in mind you will probably want to sell it again and may only get peanuts, and it may cost you a fortune to keep it going. I think I would increase my budget (borrow if necessary) and leave that one.
    April 2009: Bought Audi A6 3.0 TDi Quattro in Stratos Blue, Saloon, Manual Box, Heated Blue Leather, Cruise, 55 plate, 33k miles.
    April 2014: just run in at 80k miles, private plate, rattle from the CD player
    0 0 0

6. Re: Very high mileage A6 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thought at first 400000 miles in 5 years max wheres he been going the moon? but its "only" 238 miles a day.

Cant imagine you would ever manage to sell it on so as others have said if buy it assume you will be driving or pushing it to the scrapyard.

Then again bet if it has a high spec you could get a fair few bob just selling the bits on ebay ie satnav, alloys etc.
    0 0 0

7. Re: Very high mileage A6 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    with that sort of mileage, the car is hardly worth anything. sure it could be broken for spares, but who will buy any of the running gear ? that only leaves the interior . if he approaches a trader, they will laugh at him.no trader would touch it with that mileage. the only person that would take it off his hands is someone who will knock 250k off the speedo. if you are genuinely interested then hit him with a stupid offer of less than a grand. he can only say no. at the end of the day, if you do buy it, you will be the last owner. it has also obviously paid for its keep over the years, so wont owe the current owner any money, so anything he does get will be a bonus.
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...
    0 0 0

8. Re: Very high mileage A6 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for all the advice.

I have a list of questions to ask him such as:-

When was the cam-belt was last changed and when it will need doing again?
    Any issues with the electrics?
    Any mechanical issues?
    How long until the next service is due?

He has already told me where he has had it maintained and said he was happy for me to talk to them.

I'll post and let you know whether I buy it and what I pay for anyone interested.

I just hope that I won't regret getting rid of my 2002 Mercedes C220 Estate. It does more to the gallon (50+) but does not have the luxury and, more importantly, the 4-wheel drive.

Decisions, decisions.

2xboxerdogs
    0 0 0

9. Re: Very high mileage A6 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    If it was less than £2k, I would give it a go and run it into the ground, however you need to find out what has been replaced on it...

I would be worried about the rear diff on the quatrro with that mileage..

0 0 0

10. Re: Very high mileage A6 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well the issue has gone away unfortunately.

I met up with him for a test drive and pushed him for what he was looking for price wise. He said that someone at an Audi garage had suggested that about £5.5K would be a reasonable price. At that point I said we were wasting each other's time and asked him to take me back to work. We'd covered about 1 mile and I'd not even driven it.

He reckoned We By Any car had said £4.8K so I told him to sell it to them as I would be looking in the region of £1K because of the mileage.

Oh well, the C220 stays with me for a while longer!

Thanks for all your advice.

2xboxerdogs
    Last edited by stuart; 30-06-2015 at 01:04 PM.
    0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast