Notices

User Tag List

Thread: mk3 1.4 golf seems to stall when stopping for traffic and struggles to start at all sometimes

1. Exclamation mk3 1.4 golf seems to stall when stopping for traffic and struggles to start at all sometimes 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hey all, wondering whats up with my golf really. purchased it less than a week ago after having a nissan sunny for a while and im gonna be honest im not loving the golf experience lol.

basically it started yesturday when i was waiting for traffic and the tacho started to wabble then fall as the engine died, tried starting the engine and had to give it gas to succeed. then it did it again after braking and again and again until i had to drive home with my right foot on the throttle constant and the left on the clutch and brake. (wasnt easy and im sure the guy behind me thinks im a **** driver :P)

then after getting it home i turned the engine off. came back after an hour or so and the car started fine. then i tried again today and it just would not start at all. got to the stage now were the engine may soon take some beating with a hammer unless anyone has any idea.

would be much appreaciated as dispite my sunny being a faster car and seemed to be able to take corners quicker, the golf seems a more relaxin drive were my passengers are not writting there wills out due to the bumps

again totally new to this but noticed alot of ppl on here know what there on about compared to mates down the pub lol

0 0 0

2. Re: mk3 1.4 golf seems to stall when stopping for traffic and struggles to start at all sometimes 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    is yours an ABD code 1.4 engine?

have a look through my thread re similar problems.

having spoken with the previous owner recently, he described a similar set of symptoms as yours that went away around 6 month before I purchased the car..... now the car is undriveable as it randomly cuts out of seemingly of its own volition, whenever, and wherever it likes

having researched this extensively, and going down several blind alleyways (fuel pump relay, immobiliser, non existent ECU relay) I am now convinced that it is the Hall Sensor, located within the distributor.

when it has cut out, if i get out and give it a friendly bit of encouragement with the wheel brace (tap tap tap, start you MUTHA! ) it fires back up

I have ordered a new distributor, and will hopefully be fitting it this weekend, so can keep you posted

G

0 0 0

3. Re: mk3 1.4 golf seems to stall when stopping for traffic and struggles to start at all now 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yes i believe it is the 1.4 ABD engine.

i have been advised about the distrubutor cap as my mate had simular problems with his 206 when the dizzy went.

also noticed today that there is a sparking coming from a electronic box. this is located at the rear middle of the engine bay and believe is the ignition coil.

may look at replacing that

now the car just wont start at all and its ended up down my road not cos of the car cos of my mates bump startin the thing.

0 0 0

4. Re: mk3 1.4 golf seems to stall when stopping for traffic and struggles to start at all sometimes 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    its not the distributor cap that is the problem, its the distributor itself

INSIDE the body of the distributor is the HALL SENSOR, which basically provides the ECU with a signal, without this signal/information, the ECU shuts off the fuel relay and the engine stops

just buying a cap will not fix the problem, if it is indeed the hall sensor, you need to buy the full distributor body. read my post for information from Crasher, however I just received my replacemet distributor (complete with heat shield (missing on the car, maybe the reason for failure?) cap, rotor and hall sensor) that I paid £60 for from a trader on EBAY

G

0 0 0

5. Re: mk3 1.4 golf seems to stall when stopping for traffic and struggles to start at all sometimes 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ok so new distributor
    got it lol
    about 60 quid then?? whats the price i was offered from a website called 247 spares with a years warranty

0 0 0

6. Re: mk3 1.4 golf seems to stall when stopping for traffic and struggles to start at all sometimes 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i have similar problems to, just had the car code checked and the hall sensor has no signal. £38 of ebay
    i will keep you updated when it arrives.

unkleGsif is yours now working??

0 0 0

7. Re: mk3 1.4 golf seems to stall when stopping for traffic and struggles to start at all sometimes 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Nope.

0 0 0

8. Re: mk3 1.4 golf seems to stall when stopping for traffic and struggles to start at all sometimes 
    markymark2009 Guest
    If your coil is visibly sparking then that's probably your problem - it's insulation is breaking down and the spark energy is going to earth.

0 0 0