1. Coolant Loss Mk 5 2.0 TDI 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My wife has an 04 Golf 2.0 GT TDI which has 70k and full history. We've had it for just over a year and in that time I've had to top up the coolant 2-3 times. Its only just fallen below the minimum marker in the expansion tank and on one occasion the coolant warning light came on.

I've read on other threads re similar issues but due to the minimum loss and low miles that the car now does it hasn't really bothered me. Until now.

Somebody reversed into the car on Thursday morning at the school drop off. Initial inspection showed only a small crack in the number plate, however when washing it yesterday I've noticed that the bumper seems very slightly out of line.

Worse however is that it has started to loose coolant - 1 ltr in past 2 days and warning light on. I've had a quick look at the radiator and cant see any visible leaks and the car hasn't overheated.

Does the radiator sit so close to the bumper that its possible that this minor bump could have cracked the radiator? The car that hit it was a Touran with a swanneck towbar. Or could it be that the underlying coolant loss issue just gets worse and worse?

Any thoughts on his would be very welcome.

0 0 0

2. Re: Coolant Loss Mk 5 2.0 TDI 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've had a similar problem with mine, I had the undertrays off, the the grille but could not find anything. In the end, in desperation I tried radstop - not something I like using but I decided as it has had a cambelt and water pump it was most likely a pin hole in the radiator. It seems to have cleared it up.

0 0 0

3. Re: Coolant Loss Mk 5 2.0 TDI 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks, i changed my radiator and despite mechanic telling me that he couldnt see any sign of crack/leaks, it did stop coolant loss, that at the time was getting worse.

After a few months it did start to use small amounts of water, but similar to the amount prior to the slight bump, so I assume the early cars do suffer slightly from coolant loss and my increased loss last year was due to a very slight crack caused by the bump.

1 0 0

4. Re: Coolant Loss Mk 5 2.0 TDI 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi
    changed my radiator not long after a front collision with a deer. It wasn't related the radiator had been leaking due to other reasons. A light bump should not have caused your water loss problems. My golf is a 55 plate, I just put it done to a poor quality radiator.

1 0 0

5. Re: Coolant Loss Mk 5 2.0 TDI 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Mk.5 Golfs are prone to faulty rads. Had mine replaced at about 60-70,000. Pain in the backside due to the front end needs removing to change it.

1 0 0

6. Re: Coolant Loss Mk 5 2.0 TDI 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi everyone, please excuse me if I am a little vague but I am new to the system and am 'feeling my feet a little'.

I write in relation to the issue of coolant loss from my Golf Mk5 GT 140 TDI. I purchased the 2005 car in Mar 2010 with only 27000 miles on the clock, full documented main dealer service history (verified) and in immaculate condition via private sale. Everything was fine until I had done about 10000 miles and the water level warning light came on. I checked it and topped it up with the correct coolant, and to cut a long story short, I have had to do this a number of times since. I have replaced the coolant header tank cap (as advised), this has not worked, and added a high quality sealant (to seal any head cracks etc) as advised by an engineer and endorsed by our local main agents. I still experience problems. Our VW main dealers (Inchcape in Telford) have pressure tested the system and could find nothing wrong and there is no sign of performance loss or water in oil/oil in water. Incidentally, it appears that the normal operating level for the coolant is at the minimum end and loss appears to be increased following a long journey.

I am reasonably technically minded but am now at a loss. The main agents are unable to suggest a possible problem and say I should continue to add coolant as required until the problem becomes evident; the only other option was to strip the car down (head off etc) but there was no guarantee this would either identify the problem or solve it - this said I am not impressed by the quality of the service provided by Inchcape in Telford.

Can anyone help or suggest ideas - the car is not due a service until 2012 now following its time at the garage. All advice greatly appreciated as it is a great car in every other respect.

0 0 0

7. Re: Coolant Loss Mk 5 2.0 TDI 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Paul, sorry to hear of your problems, you need another garage perhaps an independent to re-pressure test the system. You need to know if its a head gasket problem or a radiator problem. You could of course trade it in and save yourself stress and a lighter pocket chasing a solution.

1 0 0

8. Re: Coolant Loss Mk 5 2.0 TDI 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    paul my mk5 had a small weep of water and i put it on the ramp at work, using the pressure tester and sure it took ages to find but there was a very slight weep from the o/s/f lower corner of the rad, now with the engine off i had no weep and no wet patch on the floor, it only started to weep when the engine was running, it is a very common problem and it takes a little time to locate it, id get an indy to look maybe they will find it mate

VCDS HEX+CAN CODE READING AND RECODES

OWN A MK5 GOLF TDI JOIN THE GROUP https://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/group.php?groupid=23
    2004 mk5, Viezu 140bhp Re-map, GTI front bumper, side skirts, GTI 18in rep wheels, Jamex coilovers, R32 speedo cluster, MFSW, White Roose Motorsport coolant hose's, GTTDI interior, centre consol armrest and ipod dock, leather handbrake lever

1 0 0

9. Re: Coolant Loss Mk 5 2.0 TDI 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Would be really interested to hear if anyone has any more specific info on this as I too have exactly the same problem on my 2.0L 140 TDi (2004 model)
    I have had it pressure tested by an indipendant and nothing revealed itself. It needs to be topped up about every 800 to 1000 miles and it drops from the maximum to the minimum level in the header tank, at which point I get the 'STOP' Check Coolant warning come up. I carry a bottle of water in the boot and top it up - all is fine for the next 800 to 1k miles.

0 0 0

10. Re: Coolant Loss Mk 5 2.0 TDI 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    Possibly a pourous head.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast