Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Perfect Power list a Croatian dealer but it doesn't make sense and I am still listed as a dealer even though I am not. I can't see how and oxygen sensor simulator would help, you need to know the exact AFR instantaneously over a wide range of engine speeds/loads and the only way to do this is with a wideband lambda sensor as close to the manifold as possible so you can see what the narrow band sensor the cars ECU uses is telling the ECU what to do and if it is too rich. This could be checked on a rolling road but if you find it is wrong you would still need a correction system. I can't see any way forward for you.

Meridian
    Aleksandar
    Tel : +385 1 2360736

Gramača 94, Zagreb, Hrvatska

aleksandar@meridian-apr.hr
    www.meridian-apr.hr
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

2. Re: Lousy fuel economy mk3 cab 1.6 AFT 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry I've been away a little while - I had a bit of a nasty incident recently - prevented me from getting to my PC. Sounds like a troublesome gremlin you are having. I think as Crasher said, you need to prove the O2 sensor first and trace it back from there.

Normally what I found with these issues is that the wiring gets old. I had a fuel economy dive from frayed insulation on wiring, checked the lambda and that was fine but still had a terrible fuel economy. This was also showing itself as a less than perfect idle, a bit lopey and some slight missfiring, and stuttering occasionally under load, but it wasnt always the case. It made me think it was a fueling issue until I did some further investigation.

Traced all the wiring back after checking for air leaks (including vacuum) and ended up being a combination of alternator output (damaged wiring) and coolant sensor wiring. The sensor was ok but the wiring to the loom socket plugs were frayed and shorting giving all kinds of horrific unstable signals. Nothing triggered a fault code, but took a lot of close inspection and re-pinning of sockets. It's not a quick job, but it is straight forward. Its a process of elimination unfortunately, ticking off things that you know are working. Contact cleaner and degreaser are your friends. Hopefully its not a compression issue (not sure if you have checked this yet, apologies if you have)

The age of these cars means that you need to pay close attention to all the harnesses, they arent often obvious because they are normally caked in grime, which only becomes evident once you start cleaning up the loom. Might be worth a go before resorting to piggy back ECU's.

I've not read the whole thread thoroughly but clearly the injectors are firing OK - so it narrows it down to airleaks, ignition (which can be weak voltage), and control signal wiring (i.e. timing from distributors etc and coolant sensors, MAF etc.) not forgetting the lambda wiring loom.

Just to add, pay close attention to the rubber/plastic bungs that go into the sockets where the wire goes into, I found more often than not that the insulation broke apart there and after cleaning it showed exposed wire at the back of the socket some of which was maybe holding on by a few strands of copper and a lot of carbonised grime - hence my great wiring loom renewal.

Also I am assuming that the mixture is rich whether it is moving or not, it is important to rule out calipers getting stuck or any binding from less than free moving wheels etc.
    151 PS @ 3800 rpm 1.6 8V MPi - 31.5mpg urban <-- Happy days

123k On the clock and counting. (25k on the block)

I need all your V-Powers.

0 0 0

3. Re: Lousy fuel economy mk3 cab 1.6 AFT 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have checked all the wires and everything looks good. I found ECU, Immo and key from other car and i will swap all that to try...What you people think about that?

0 0 0

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456