Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi there

My Golf has a 1.6 AFT engine, that's the 100bhp variant. It's fully dealer serviced, and at the last service I asked the dealer to check all sensors because I noticed that (according to the trip computer and my own measurements) it is struggling to get 30 mpg. In fact, it is usually in the mid 20s. This is worrying because it's only done 53,000 miles. The dealer suggested that the temperature sensor might be the cause but said it tested out OK.

So I'm a bit stumped. Anyone got any ideas? Surely a 1.6 ought to achieve 35mpg easily (and I don't drive it aggressively).

Regards

JonB
    2000 Golf Cabriolet - new owner - lovin' it!

1 0 0

2. Re: Lousy fuel economy mk3 cab 1.6 AFT 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Bump

0 0 0

3. Re: Lousy fuel economy mk3 cab 1.6 AFT 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    If it is not producing a fault code for lambda control then it must be running correctly. I suggest you get it fault code read again.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

4. Re: Lousy fuel economy mk3 cab 1.6 AFT 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ive managed to squeeze 54 mpg out of my 1.6 on the motorway, but i have modified it quite heavily - you should be getting at least 30-35 with agressive driving.

If you drive sensibly nearer 40-45 from my experience. I have the '75HP' 8V version though.

Also just a thought from my recent experience, the map sensor will have quite the sway over how much fuel will be used & timings, mine was faulty, it didnt bring up an error but it was pulling the wrong readings. Since its been replaced, ive noticed my fuel consumption drop, my needle barely moved on the drive to work today, wonderful feeling to have my mpg back!

0 0 0

5. Re: Lousy fuel economy mk3 cab 1.6 AFT 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    If it is not producing a fault code for lambda control then it must be running correctly. I suggest you get it fault code read again.
    Thanks for that, Crasher.

It was fault read at the last service (a month ago) - no faults, apart from airbag power which was caused by me disconnecting the battery.

0 0 0

6. Re: Lousy fuel economy mk3 cab 1.6 AFT 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SammoVWT View Post
    ive managed to squeeze 54 mpg out of my 1.6 on the motorway, but i have modified it quite heavily - you should be getting at least 30-35 with agressive driving.

If you drive sensibly nearer 40-45 from my experience. I have the '75HP' 8V version though.

Also just a thought from my recent experience, the map sensor will have quite the sway over how much fuel will be used & timings, mine was faulty, it didnt bring up an error but it was pulling the wrong readings. Since its been replaced, ive noticed my fuel consumption drop, my needle barely moved on the drive to work today, wonderful feeling to have my mpg back!
    Good advice, SammoVWT; I am going to ask them to look at that. How much is a map sensor, and what calibration does it need when installing?

0 0 0

7. Re: Lousy fuel economy mk3 cab 1.6 AFT 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Changing the MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor would be relevant if the AFT had a MAP sensor (referred to by VW as a “thrust sensor”) but an AFT uses an Air Mass Meter (often referred to by its Americanism as a MAF for Mass Air Flow) which can be problematical but the type used on the AFT are made by Hitachi and are very reliable. In the absence of a fault code I suppose the only two components I would be tempted to change are the coolant temperature sender or the AMM and if you do change the AMM, only buy one from a VW dealer as an exchange, the VAG part number is 037 906 461 BX. Do not be tempted to buy one from anywhere else. I had the exact same part (for a 96 Golf GTI as it is the same) a few weeks ago and the new unit I purchased from a well know VW parts supplier was faulty straight out of the box as were the next two they sent me. I then bought one from VW which only cost about £20 more and it was perfect, pattern AMM’s are a bad joke, avoid them at all costs. If no fault codes are stored, a new AMM is plug and play and is very easy to fit, being held to the air filter with four screws and a clip around the air pipe, they take about ten minutes to change.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

8. Re: Lousy fuel economy mk3 cab 1.6 AFT 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    OK Crasher, I guess I'll change the temp sensor first as it must be cheaper.. £25 IIRC and the dealer suggested it too (although he wanted to fit it too for £75 all in).

Cheers

jonB

0 0 0

9. Re: Lousy fuel economy mk3 cab 1.6 AFT 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Jesus thats expensive, i paid £7.00 for mine, fitted for free!

0 0 0

10. Re: Lousy fuel economy mk3 cab 1.6 AFT 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SammoVWT View Post
    Jesus thats expensive, i paid £7.00 for mine, fitted for free!
    Is that a dealer price?

0 0 0

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast