1. Re: Lousy fuel economy mk3 cab 1.6 AFT 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    No, just a local garage - might even be worth looking for a part supplier and nabbing one for cheap to be honest!

I just dont see how they can justify the markup for such a simple job, if they are going to pre and post scan your car i can understand then perhaps

0 0 0

2. Re: Lousy fuel economy mk3 cab 1.6 AFT 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well.... the Haynes Manual says you should drain the coolant somewhat.

What I found was that a new sensor was about £12.50 from Partco (a local motor factor). Initially I bought the wrong one (with two pins) so I took the car back the next day and swapped it over, making sure the plug was compatible.

Once home, I let the car cool a little then released any pressure by undoing the cap on the expansion tank. Then, after tightening it back up, I whipped the old sensor out and replaced it. It's just a matter of sliding a plastic clip out and pulling the sensor - easy. Lost less than 1/2 cup of coolant in the process (I can live with that!).

So, a job that cost £12.50 in parts and took less than a minute to do would have cost £25 plus another £50 if I'd got the dealer to do it (plus VAT!). Amazing, the things they can get away with...

Having replaced the sensor, I took it for a drive. Initial results are promising, with the trip computer showing 37.5mpg on a combined cycle (some city driving, some twisty lanes, some dual carriageway over 5 or 6 miles). I am looking forward to taking it on a decent run to see if this figure will be maintained.

There is another problem with the car and that is that the driver's side window is closing too high and this is pushing the roof frame out of the slot in the rollover bar, leading to some rain ingress (which, annoyingly, runs down the rollover bar to soak the driver's seatbelt). I thought I'd have to remove the doorcard (again) in order to adjust the end stops, but on closer examination discovered some access holes under the door. So, out with the mini socket set and a couple of minutes later it's sorted.

And that, friends, was a Very Good Morning....!
    2000 Golf Cabriolet - new owner - lovin' it!

0 0 0

3. Re: Lousy fuel economy mk3 cab 1.6 AFT 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    Changing the MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor would be relevant if the AFT had a MAP sensor (referred to by VW as a “thrust sensor”) but an AFT uses an Air Mass Meter (often referred to by its Americanism as a MAF for Mass Air Flow) which can be problematical but the type used on the AFT are made by Hitachi and are very reliable. In the absence of a fault code I suppose the only two components I would be tempted to change are the coolant temperature sender or the AMM and if you do change the AMM, only buy one from a VW dealer as an exchange, the VAG part number is 037 906 461 BX. Do not be tempted to buy one from anywhere else. I had the exact same part (for a 96 Golf GTI as it is the same) a few weeks ago and the new unit I purchased from a well know VW parts supplier was faulty straight out of the box as were the next two they sent me. I then bought one from VW which only cost about £20 more and it was perfect, pattern AMM’s are a bad joke, avoid them at all costs. If no fault codes are stored, a new AMM is plug and play and is very easy to fit, being held to the air filter with four screws and a clip around the air pipe, they take about ten minutes to change.
    I have simiular problem, after all I am suspecting on AMM - Please Help Extreamly bad fuel consumption on Golf MK3 1.6 AFT what you think?

0 0 0

4. Re: Lousy fuel economy mk3 cab 1.6 AFT 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Holly thread revival day Batman......

Car, year, engine code, fault codes etc etc?
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: Lousy fuel economy mk3 cab 1.6 AFT 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have a huge problem with my 1997 Golf MK3 1.6 74kW/101BHP AFT engine code 183000km on the clock. Fuel consumption is crazy - city drive 18L per 100km or 16MPG in the city driving! Motorway is little bit better but still not normal - 11l per 100km or 24MPG... Anyway, for sure this fuel consumption is not normal for my type of Golf. No fault codes on VAG COM/VCDS. Engine is running normal, and car is going great. So far I change a lot of parts like, spark plugs, spark plug wires, ignition coil, dizzy, rotor arm, lambda sensor, coolant temperature sender, air filter, fuel filter, breaks are not clenched also...I cleaned the Air Mass Meter/MAF sensor with Liqui Moly MAF cleaner and its still the same. Previous owner had already changed the MAF (Hitachi 037 906 461B 2008 is the year of production) and there is some white paint mark on it wich probably mean that was serviced before. Btw I found multimeter and checked the signals of MAF sensor. As Autodata says supply voltage should be 11 V min. - I have 12.8 V so that is ok, right? About MAF sensor signal it says that on normal operating temperature while engine is idleing voltage should be 1.2 V approx. while mine is 1.05 V. Than Autodata says that on 3000 rpm the voltage should be 1.7 V approx. while mine is 1.6 V . Bad MAF for sure or?

0 0 0

6. Re: Lousy fuel economy mk3 cab 1.6 AFT 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    If there are no lambda errors I can't see it having a fault.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

7. Re: Lousy fuel economy mk3 cab 1.6 AFT 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    There is no lambda errors. On VCDS i see that lambda is working from 0.2V to 1.1V. Any other idea?

0 0 0

8. Re: Lousy fuel economy mk3 cab 1.6 AFT 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    The voltage cycling like that indicates that the mixture is being correctly controlled but there is the possibility that the lambda sensor is faulty and as your car does not have a post cat lambda sensor you would need a four gas analyser to check this. How old is the lambda sensor.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 0

9. Re: Lousy fuel economy mk3 cab 1.6 AFT 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Its few months old, Denso lambda.

0 0 0

10. Re: Lousy fuel economy mk3 cab 1.6 AFT 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    PM me the cars VIN and the part number of the sensor which was fitted.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 0

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast