1. Question 70MPH Speed Limit 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    (Mods can you make this a poll as i dont seem to have the option to make it a poll, asking what speed 70,85,or higher.)

On the theme of the recent thread on driving too fast.
    How do people feel about the need to increase the maximum speed on motorways?
    Given that the current speed limit was set in the 70's (I think) when most cars took a week to reach 70mph and a week and half to stop.(drum brakes all round on a lot of cars then)
    Whats the general feeling on should the speed limit be increased and if so by how much?
    I currently cover around 40.000 miles per annum (mostly motorways) and appart from in obvious heavy traffic rarely see cars doing 70mph, most seem to be at 80+.
    Personally I feel given the technical improvements in the modern vehicle of today the speed should be increased to 85mph in dry weather and 60mph in the wet.
    It was broken BEFORE i touched it honest!

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm not sure a poll is needed, but I'll gauge the replies and then set one up if this takes off.

I can't imagine there's too many folks who want to pop in and click "I speed"

Considering selling my VCDS KEY-USB interface. If you're interested please contact me via PM or email.

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mycarsavw View Post
    I'm not sure a poll is needed, but I'll gauge the replies and then set one up if this takes off.

I can't imagine there's too many folks who want to pop in and click "I speed"
    It's not about admitting to speeding..... it's about common views on wether the speed limit set years ago should still be applicable in todays world, with the advanced technology of vehicles nowadays.

i remember reading in one of the sunday rags that the conservative party, (should they come into power) will change the speed limits on motorways after a camebridge university study showed that the best speed (most efficient) to avoid accidents and save fuel etc... is 82mph

i personally drive at 80mph, where the road and conditions permit. I cover around 30k miles a year, and feel that the most dangerous drivers on the road, are those travelling at a steady 55mph sat in the middle lane forcing everyone driving faster than this to bottle neck into the outside lane. This is far more dangerous than coasting at 80mph.

Just my opinion....

Nick

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Great question, difficult answer.

Assuming only police and no scamera vans and Gatso's, Truvelo & SPECs etc then leave it at 70mph.

The reason being if we increase the speed then the speed that people exceed it by will just go up the same amount. Years ago I would of said "So what cars a safer anyway", unfortunately roads/motorways are so much more crowded now.

So if we had the police alone then 70mph is enough. They use their own discretion as to whether the speed was suitable.

Trouble is we have scamera schemes and all the other stuff that does not do discretion. In that case I think 80mph would be a little more realistic. Again not a target yada yada. In this case I still think the 85 mph and above (generalising) should not be acceptable.
    One German, Two Italian.
    It's a Mercedes Benzzzz though

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I tend to believe that the speed limits are arbitraraly set low. Pennsylvania allows 65mph max on limited access roadways. I tend to travel at 70-80 during my commute if driving, 75-90 if riding the bike. The roadways here are sufficient to travel at a quicker pace but the presence of wildlife and police enforcement take the fun out of rapid transit. 450 miles of commuting would be much nicer if I could just wick it up a bit.

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    I think it should be subjective and left for people to decide.

4am on a Sunday morning is a lot different to 8am on a Monday morning.

The issue of speed isn't one.

I also do between 30 and 40k each year and almost all accidents I see on the motorway occur at below 70mph, usually involving an HGV... which cannot speed !

As above though, I think on the roads generally there should be more emphasis on making people think rather than blaming everything on speed.

However.... I think the next craze in supporting lower speed limits will be environmentally driven (pun intended) in that the lower the speed the lower the emissions.

0 0 0

7. Exclamation  
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    im not getting involved as i would like to see it lifted to 80MPH at least..

BUT.. as well all know.. if the limit is 70MPH people do 80MPH +./.. if its set at 80mph.. people will do 90mph +

have a read of this site in regards to increasing the UK motorway limit.

http://www.cfit.gov.uk/plenaries/0507mfp1.htm

RickT

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I stick to 70 on all but the quietest and safest motorways. Until recently I never went over 70, but I gave it a go and the car just seemed 'happier' at 80.
    While car technology has improved, the roads are also a lot busier, so a 70 limit still seems reasonable. On the other hand, most people do sit at 80-85, in which case raise the limit to 85 and prosecute religiously above that. Then people would KNOW what the limit actually is and wouldn't want to go much faster anyway as they'd get scared. It should be 85 if completely dry and above, say 10 Celcius. When there is any hint of damp/wet on the roads, or it's below 10 celcius then it should revert back to 70. I'm sure people could cope with this and there would be less confusion over what is acceptable. Furthermore, with all this technology we could have automatic variable speed limits based on traffic flow, temperature, visibility, weather and traffic density. The current electric signs are so outdated!
    Passat Sport Estate 2001 1.9 TDI PD
    100k miles

0 0 0

9. Lightbulb Motorway Speed Limits 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok,

I guess my reply wont be popular!

I would like to see a MAXIMUM (variable) speed limit (depending of weather / traffic) of 100mph on certain sections of motorway. Again this is not a target, only a maximum. However the penalty for being caught exceeding this should be an instant ban.

85mph for other (older sections) of motorway (again variable).

Some A roads should get an increase as well.

Ok so enforcement is an issue, but this can be worked around. Also off topic I would like to see HGVs limited to inside lane only (especially on sections of 2 lane Motorway!)

Regards

Richard

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    On the back of the above does anyone think a minimum speed limit should be enforced on motorways?

Considering selling my VCDS KEY-USB interface. If you're interested please contact me via PM or email.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast